Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 07-08-2020, 08:07 PM   #1
lburg801
Enthusiast
lburg801 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Lenovo Tab 4 8 question

I bought several of these for my grandchildren to use as ereaders.

Because of Covid they have a need to use an app on the device and connect it to their digital piano (Casio Privia PX 150).

The piano has an AB type usb cable.

I am trying to learn if there is some sort of converter to connect this to the tablet ... and the only slots on the tablet are the power cable slot where a usb cable is connected and the memory slot.

I know this is not the place to ask, but I have tried the Lenovo forums with no luck and hope someone here can point me in the right direction.
lburg801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:24 AM   #2
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
??

Just a thought: More info may help others to help you.

What sort of jack is the power jack on the tablet. (many tablets are multi use, as in power input, data transfer etc.)

Why do you need to connect the two. (Example: To transfer info from the tablet to the piano - transfer info from piano to tablet etc.)

The Lenovo info states it is compatible with windows and mac, nothing about android.

What app are you using on the tablet?

Does the tablet have a headphone jack?
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2020, 12:23 PM   #3
lburg801
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by exscentric View Post
Just a thought: More info may help others to help you.
Hmm, I am trying to submit my reply and it says it is too short so this is me making it longer. Now for what matters:
What sort of jack is the power jack on the tablet. (many tablets are multi use, as in power input, data transfer etc.)
I don't know what type, but this is the information I found about other uses for the usb connection:
Selecting the computer connection mode
You can select one of the following options:
Media device (MTP): Select this mode if you want to transfer media files such as photos, videos,
and ringtones between your tablet and computer.
Camera (PTP): Select this mode if you only want to transfer only photos and videos between your
tablet and computer.
Charge Only: Select this mode if you want to charge your phone only.
MIDI: Select this mode if you want MIDI-enabled apps on your device to work with MIDI software on
the computer.

Why do you need to connect the two. (Example: To transfer info from the tablet to the piano - transfer info from piano to tablet etc.) They need to sync the piano with the app while they play

The Lenovo info states it is compatible with windows and mac, nothing about android. The Tab 4 8 and M10 are android tablets that use google for everything

What app are you using on the tablet?The software is called playground https://support.playgroundsessions.c...o-my-computer-

Does the tablet have a headphone jack?
Yes.

Again, I am being told my message is too short, so this is me adding to the end of the message ....
Old 07-09-2020, 12:52 PM   #4
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
My 'search' came up with the 'AB' usb cable as a cable that has an "A" usb & a "B" usb at the other end; no need for an adapter.

If the 'B' terminal (square/rectangler) is at the Casio & the 'A' terminal at the Lenovo tablet then an adaper for the the female A usb to a male micro-usb is available. The problem is that we don't know if the Lenovo usb mentioned is type A or microUSB or miniUSB.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 01:18 PM   #5
lburg801
Enthusiast

This has the information, I think ... https://www.gsmarena.com/lenovo_tab_4_8-8602.php
Quote:
Originally Posted by crane3 View Post
My 'search' came up with the 'AB' usb cable as a cable that has an "A" usb & a "B" usb at the other end; no need for an adapter.

If the 'B' terminal (square/rectangler) is at the Casio & the 'A' terminal at the Lenovo tablet then an adaper for the the female A usb to a male micro-usb is available. The problem is that we don't know if the Lenovo usb mentioned is type A or microUSB or miniUSB.
Advert
Old 07-09-2020, 02:09 PM   #6
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Surely you should have checked connectivity before buying several possibly incompatible devices?

My current Lenovo android tablet has only a single multi purpose connector, which is USB c. That is used for charging, and for headphones via an adaptor. It could be used to sync to an app, if the app is written with that in mind. It's just a dumb serial port.

My previous Lenovo android tablet had only micro usb.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 02:16 PM   #7
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ps, the software referred to is using midi.

Midi was a very common interface for early digital music, well supported by Microsoft.

Google, to my surprise, reckons midi (born 1983) is not quite dead yet.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/musi...midi-dead.html
Old 07-09-2020, 03:07 PM   #8
lburg801
Enthusiast

One thing for sure about those who have no experience ... they are about to get it!

Thanks ... in the end it makes no difference as the playground software app requires a mac or pc running windows.

When I bought the Lenovo tabs for them, I had no idea that they would NOT be running Windows or I would not have bought them. I have a deep seated distrust of Google. Oh, well, live and learn. I knew I was not buying an apple product or a chrome product ... My Lenovo is a pc running Windows, so why wouldn't a Lenovo tablet also run windows????
Old 07-09-2020, 03:54 PM   #9
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lburg801 View Post
One thing for sure about those who have no experience ... they are about to get it!

Thanks ... in the end it makes no difference as the playground software app requires a mac or pc running windows.

When I bought the Lenovo tabs for them, I had no idea that they would NOT be running Windows or I would not have bought them. I have a deep seated distrust of Google. Oh, well, live and learn. I knew I was not buying an apple product or a chrome product ... My Lenovo is a pc running Windows, so why wouldn't a Lenovo tablet also run windows????
Lenovo make both windows and android tablets.
E.g. I type this on Lenovo yoga tab 3 plus, android, but the Lenovo yoga 3 pro is a windows device

Maybe all is not lost, there may be better, newer music apps which do run on android tablets?

There are.
Casio have a new app on android, and on Apple, and is for their pianos
Chordata.
https://music.casio.co.uk/blog/conne...casios-new-app

Last edited by stumped; 07-09-2020 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-09-2020, 04:20 PM   #10
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
Do a google for 'android midi software for casio piano' & you will find lots of stuff regarding howto connect & what is needed & what the cable connectors look like. Then add 'px 150' at the end of the search & see lots more including a tutorial for the Casio px150/160. Also on the returned list is the Casio web page for the Casio apps.

Another of my regrets in junking my Casio along with the old original comic books.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote