Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: What will we discuss in July, 2020?
At the Water's Edge by Sara Gruen 1 14.29%
Sand (omnibus edition) by Hugh Howey 2 28.57%
The Lightning Thief (aka Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief) by Rick Riordon 4 57.14%
The Johnstown Flood by David McCullough 2 28.57%
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne 1 14.29%
We Keep a Light by Evelyn M. Richardson 3 42.86%
The Light Between Oceans by M. L. Steadman 3 42.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-11-2020, 12:34 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
All I'm looking for is a book that's not science fiction/fantasy.
If you have voted for The Light Between Oceans, we would have had a runoff vote and I would have voted for it in the runoff vote. It may have won. Then there would be an excellent book that's nothing to do with SFF or Fantasy.

Passing Strange did have some fantasy in it, but not much and that was very much secondary. It was a very nice light story that focused more on the characters then the fantasy. So that was a good choice.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 02:36 PM   #17
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you have voted for The Light Between Oceans, we would have had a runoff vote and I would have voted for it in the runoff vote. It may have won. Then there would be an excellent book that's nothing to do with SFF or Fantasy.

Passing Strange did have some fantasy in it, but not much and that was very much secondary. It was a very nice light story that focused more on the characters then the fantasy. So that was a good choice.
Forcing a runoff was something I considered, but (1) I already read The Light Between Oceans recently so it seemed pointless to push it into a runoff, and (2) I had zero interest in the Richardson book and was unwilling to buy it (it's not in any of my libraries), so why make people vote again if they were happy with The Lightning Thief (which at least is available from my library as an audiobook)?

I haven't started Passing Strange yet; I borrowed it from the library yesterday.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2020, 04:05 PM   #18
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
My primary Overdrive library has a long waitlist. Meanwhile there are ~50 copies available immediately in the library’s Axis360 catalog. Thought I’d post a friendly reminder to check alternate sources. I was able to put it on hold at another of my Overdrive libraries with only a 2 week wait.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 04:47 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
My primary Overdrive library has a long waitlist. Meanwhile there are ~50 copies available immediately in the library’s Axis360 catalog. Thought I’d post a friendly reminder to check alternate sources. I was able to put it on hold at another of my Overdrive libraries with only a 2 week wait.
The eBook is available at Hoopla with no wait. You do have to read it either in a web browser or the Hoopla app.
Old 06-13-2020, 06:50 PM   #20
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Long wait list at both of my libraries. If it doesn't get here in time, I'll buy it.

Charlie.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2020, 11:07 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I have it from my library. So I'm good to go one I connect the H2O to the computer later today.
Old 06-20-2020, 06:35 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Today I've started The Lightning Thief and so far it seems to match pretty well with the movie.
Old 06-25-2020, 03:09 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

So,who else is reading Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief?
Old 06-25-2020, 07:01 PM   #24
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Haven't started yet. Probably won't until next week.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 08:18 PM   #25
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Not started yet either, was leaving it for closer to the discussion time.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 07:58 PM   #26
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
If I'm lucky (so to speak), I'll get it from the library just about when the discussion is supposed to start.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 08:13 PM   #27
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
My Overdrive library hold came up, but I delayed it so I start reading closer to the discussion date.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:42 AM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
My Overdrive library hold came up, but I delayed it so I start reading closer to the discussion date.
Depending on the hold times of your local library, you could be waiting up to three weeks.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:19 AM   #29
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Depending on the hold times of your local library, you could be waiting up to three weeks.
Or more, depending on how many might have delayed it before you; they’re back ahead of you in the queue.

Mostly this works out for me; I’ve been stunned to see how rapidly I’ve gotten some high demand books. And I contribute to the churn, also; there’s been one audiobook that I’ve postponed I don’t know how many times now. It always tends to show up when I’m in the middle of something lengthy. At least I release it right away; those who take no action can add a lot of wait time.

But bringing it back around, for a book as old as Percy Jackson, I doubt it’s an issue.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:01 AM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Or more, depending on how many might have delayed it before you; they’re back ahead of you in the queue.

Mostly this works out for me; I’ve been stunned to see how rapidly I’ve gotten some high demand books. And I contribute to the churn, also; there’s been one audiobook that I’ve postponed I don’t know how many times now. It always tends to show up when I’m in the middle of something lengthy. At least I release it right away; those who take no action can add a lot of wait time.

But bringing it back around, for a book as old as Percy Jackson, I doubt it’s an issue.
8 weeks
1 per copy
0 of 0 copies
4 weeks
12 weeks
7 weeks
10 per copy
6 of 36 available

Those are what I just found at the libraries I have access to. I think having the move on Disney+ sparked interest in the book.