Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 04-28-2020, 11:06 AM   #1
carltonbp
Connoisseur
carltonbp will become famous soon enoughcarltonbp will become famous soon enoughcarltonbp will become famous soon enoughcarltonbp will become famous soon enoughcarltonbp will become famous soon enoughcarltonbp will become famous soon enough

Device: Icarus Illumina
Nook glowlight 3 - organise folders

Has it been solved how to sideload books into folders. For example my files/fiction/isabelle allende rather than just having them dumped all together?

I bought a GL3 for my Dad, he hated it. I was going to lend it to my neighbour whilst she can't get to the library but in its current state I can't. It renders the ereader unusable as she'll have to go through all the books either by cover with no title or by title with no cover one by one. Also I've amended titles on my pc to indicate reading order but I'm only seeing metadata titles, this is my only ereader with this problem (I have 7 right now).

I think for now I'm going to give her a different reader but I'd like to know if there's a solution for this?

Thanks in advance
carltonbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 11:38 AM   #2
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
I think some people have had success using the Calibre software. Perhaps they will comment here.

My experience was that any time I side-loaded a new book to the NOOK GL3, any shelves I had created from the ereader screen would disappear. This happened to shelves that contained ONLY side-loaded books. Any shelves that had at least one book from the B&N store survived, but all the side-loaded books disappeared from those shelves. Very frustrating.

To be clear, the side-loaded books were still on the NOOK, perfectly readable. But the shelves were nearly unusable.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2020, 01:45 PM   #3
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by carltonbp View Post
Has it been solved how to sideload books into folders. For example my files/fiction/isabelle allende rather than just having them dumped all together?
I don't have the 3 in front of me, just the 2015 Glowlight Plus.

I sideload all of my books with Calibre. The files are all dumped in a folder labelled Nook with no subfolders.

Edit: Just got access to my 3. There, the files go to: NOOK/My Files/Books/Folder for each author

Quote:
...It renders the ereader unusable as she'll have to go through all the books either by cover with no title or by title with no cover one by one.
I honestly don't understand what you are saying here.

You should be able to go to the library and sort by Most Recent, Title or Author. So all of your Isabelle Allende books would be together. (See attached image. Not sure why it was turned sideways) Wouldn't that do what you want?

And there's always the search option too.

Quote:
Also I've amended titles on my pc to indicate reading order but I'm only seeing metadata titles, this is my only ereader with this problem (I have 7 right now).
Do you use Calibre? Because there, if I change the book title to, say, The Fellowship of the Ring, Lord of the Rings 1, that is what my Nook will show.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200428_125933.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	698.9 KB
ID:	178859  

Last edited by ZodWallop; 04-28-2020 at 02:06 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 01:54 PM   #4
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
You can just search. I rooted mine and installed koreader which organises by folder.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 04:12 PM   #5
carltonbp
Connoisseur
carltonbp will become famous soon enoughcarltonbp will become famous soon enoughcarltonbp will become famous soon enoughcarltonbp will become famous soon enoughcarltonbp will become famous soon enoughcarltonbp will become famous soon enough

Thanks everyone. She's not tech minded, I got her online just before lock down ,she'd never been on the internet before then. I just gave her one of my Energy Sistem readers, very easy to use, easy to navigate and everything is ordered and easy to see what's where.

I think I'll root and put koreader on which I love and use on all my ereaders. Or I'll just sell it.

I was just hoping there might have been an easy option.

Thanks again
Advert
Old 04-28-2020, 05:03 PM   #6
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Quote:
I was just hoping there might have been an easy option.
I'm still not clear what your goal was.

In the Nook library, you can stack all your books by author. That's why in my screenshot, you see Michael Moorcock with a 6. You touch that and it opens a folder with all the Michael Moorcock books on the Nook. That seems to be what you were looking for, I think?
Old 04-28-2020, 05:45 PM   #7
carltonbp
Connoisseur

Organise by Author wasn't accurate enough and there was a lot of history books with only 1 book per author. I ended up with 53 pages of books, turned on author and still got 26 pages. All the authors are mixed together, so to browse what history authors I've got, I've got to wade through all authors. My history books are in a folder and then are split into art/artist or region/period. If I install koreader that will be solved, just whether I can bothered as I will be selling it.
Old 04-28-2020, 06:46 PM   #8
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Organise by Author wasn't accurate enough and there was a lot of history books with only 1 book per author. I ended up with 53 pages of books, turned on author and still got 26 pages. All the authors are mixed together, so to browse what history authors I've got, I've got to wade through all authors. My history books are in a folder and then are split into art/artist or region/period. If I install koreader that will be solved, just whether I can bothered as I will be selling it.
Gotcha. My focus is on fiction, where there tends to be one author per book/series. I didn't consider multi-author series.

You need control over series, as the Nook does handle that info. It's a shame the database is not accessible by Calibre, as that would fix your problem.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 04-28-2020 at 06:49 PM.