Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 04-04-2020, 10:47 AM   #16
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Click on the GREEN with the BLACK Plus sign in Left Hand Corner!
Your Calibre must be set up different than mine. When I click on the GREEN with the BLACK Plus sign, I have to tell Calibre exactly the folder to look in for books.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 11:04 AM   #17
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Your looking for NOOK or B&N file Or your Download files... then you have to search for them a bit in the list of everything you DLed.

Did you DL the Correct APP to you PC? Did you after purchase go to that App & DL the ebooks to it? You Need to do those steps 1st. THEN go to Calibre app & Transfer them. open , ect

Last edited by Barbara1955; 04-04-2020 at 11:06 AM.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2020, 12:14 PM   #18
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
Barb, when was the last time you downloaded a B&N book? I'm wondering if you have an old setup and are one of the lucky ones to not have it messed it.
Because it doesn't work like that anymore :-(
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 03:56 PM   #19
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
DNSB is correct - the Barnes and Noble books are located in "C:\Users\%username%\App Data\Local\Packages\BarnesNoble.Nook_ahnzqzva31enc \LocalState".

If you paste the text between the "s into the Run box (popped up with Windows+R), it should open the correct directory (%username% will be replaced by your username on the computer).

If you have Windows 10, you must download the Nook App from the Windows Store and download the books to your PC first.

I have never had a problem with Nook Books.....
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 04:22 PM   #20
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
DNSB is correct - the Barnes and Noble books are located in "C:\Users\%username%\App Data\Local\Packages\BarnesNoble.Nook_ahnzqzva31enc \LocalState".

If you paste the text between the "s into the Run box (popped up with Windows+R), it should open the correct directory (%username% will be replaced by your username on the computer).

If you have Windows 10, you must download the Nook App from the Windows Store and download the books to your PC first.

I have never had a problem with Nook Books.....
Whereas the only reason I knew that location was from trying to help a co-worker who started using B&N while living in the USA try to transfer their books to a new Kobo Libra. We located the directory but could not get the books into a useful form since we could find no way to remove the DRM. The answer we finally used was to repurchase the books that were really wanted from Kobo or Amazon.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2020, 09:23 AM   #21
GracieAllen
Enthusiast
GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.GracieAllen is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.

Device: Nexus 9
It's all academic at this point 'cause the B&N transaction was rolled back, the books obtained from Amazon, put in Calibre, converted to epub, and made available when I want them. But......

As far as "the Barnes and Noble books are located in "C:\Users\%username%\App Data\Local\Packages\BarnesNoble.Nook_ahnzqzva31enc \LocalState"

No. If you look at the snip from the file explorer I posted earlier, there a several files in that folder. NONE of them is an epub.

As for doing an "Add Books" in Calibre. It doesn't magically go find B&N epubs. It's just a dumb Calibre loader. YOU point it to where the epubs are and it inserts them. If you can't FIND the epubs, Calibre fer-sher isn't going to go FIND them for you.

When I get books from the library they go into user/me/documents/my digital additions - always (SO FAR)
When I get books from Amazon they go into user/me/documents/my kindle content - always (SO FAR)
When I get books from the Cloud library they go into user/me/appdata/roaming/bibliotheca/cloudlibrary/prod/ebooks - always (SO FAR)

But when I got books from B&N, despite the Nook app running on the Windows computer, AND doing a full search of the ENTIRE C: drive with Agent Ransack, NO unknown, random, not-already-accounted-for EPUBS were found. None.

As for downloading to the tablet. NO. Everything goes into Calibre. That's where they're catalogued, that's how they're kept track of. CAN I download to a tablet yes. CAN I get them OFF the tablet, to the computer, so I can properly catalogue them? Not easily. They're stored such that you have to go through gyrations to break the security so they can be copied.

Consequently, B&N now falls into the "way more work than it's worth" category (also known as the "SCREW IT" category) and won't get any more money 'til they stop doing this. If they're getting enough money from other people that they don't need to make it possible to easily access downloaded epubs, they clearly have enough money not to need mine. And since they, and every other bookseller today is a commodity, I'll get mine elsewhere. I haven't found ANYTHING at B&N I can't find elsewhere in years, and I don't recall EVER finding anything cheaper at B&N than I can get it elsewhere.

One of the nice things these days is there are alternatives to the vast majority of organizations that make customers jump through unnecessary hoops.

Last edited by GracieAllen; 04-10-2020 at 09:27 AM.
GracieAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 12:11 PM   #22
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieAllen View Post

But when I got books from B&N, despite the Nook app running on the Windows computer, AND doing a full search of the ENTIRE C: drive with Agent Ransack, NO unknown, random, not-already-accounted-for EPUBS were found. None.
If there are no epub's in that folder then you might have missed a step. There should be epub's (they have numbers for names), and jpg's that have the same number name as the epub in that folder.

You open the Nook App and download each book by clicking on the green down arrow next to the book (it is in a little cloud).

This should work....
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 01:11 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It seems Cloud library won't work any longer with ADE 2.0.1.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 02:25 PM   #24
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It seems Cloud library won't work any longer with ADE 2.0.1.
Can you provide a link?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 02:37 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Can you provide a link?
Nope. But when I try it with ADE 2.0.1 installed I get an error telling me to install the latest version ADE and that I will not do.
Old 04-11-2020, 07:41 AM   #26
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Nope. But when I try it with ADE 2.0.1 installed I get an error telling me to install the latest version ADE and that I will not do.
Could you post the error message? I've had troubles with Cloud library and ADE 2.0.1 in the past, but there was a work around.
Old 04-11-2020, 03:59 PM   #27
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieAllen View Post
As far as "the Barnes and Noble books are located in "C:\Users\%username%\App Data\Local\Packages\BarnesNoble.Nook_ahnzqzva31enc \LocalState"

No. If you look at the snip from the file explorer I posted earlier, there a several files in that folder. NONE of them is an epub.

As for doing an "Add Books" in Calibre. It doesn't magically go find B&N epubs. It's just a dumb Calibre loader. YOU point it to where the epubs are and it inserts them. If you can't FIND the epubs, Calibre fer-sher isn't going to go FIND them for you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
If there are no epub's in that folder then you might have missed a step. There should be epub's (they have numbers for names), and jpg's that have the same number name as the epub in that folder.

You open the Nook App and download each book by clicking on the green down arrow next to the book (it is in a little cloud).

This should work....
Yes, musicman is right. A step was missed or something went wrong. That is the only folder the Windows 10 Nook app downloads to.

I've attached a screenshot from my system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieAllen
Consequently, B&N now falls into the "way more work than it's worth" category (also known as the "SCREW IT" category) and won't get any more money 'til they stop doing this...
Yeah, I don't blame you there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B&N.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	178305  
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 04:52 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Could you post the error message? I've had troubles with Cloud library and ADE 2.0.1 in the past, but there was a work around.
Here is the error. I remember it used to work. I've not used it for a while and it updated and now I get the error.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cloud Error.JPG
Views:	354
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	178309
Old 04-11-2020, 08:51 PM   #29
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Here is the error. I remember it used to work. I've not used it for a while and it updated and now I get the error.

Attachment 178309
I don't recall getting that error. I was able to get cloud library to work by registering the computer (instead of using my Adobe ID). Although that was a while ago, and I've since upgraded ADE and am back to using my Adobe ID.

Good luck.
Old 04-13-2020, 03:05 PM   #30
NonSkidSurface
Enthusiast
NonSkidSurface began at the beginning.

Device: Palm T/X, Treo 700p
I was shocked as I read this thread, because in the not-so-distant past, I simply opened PC Nook and then the book files would be in the location mentioned above. I just now got a free book from B&N, opened Nook for PC, and found the files where they should be (7 total). None are .epub, and Calibre couldn't do anything with any of them. So..things have changed. I guess if you buy a book you don't really buy it at all.
NonSkidSurface is offline   Reply With Quote