Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-10-2020, 05:53 AM   #31
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
I think s/he meant "retroactive"
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 02:36 PM   #32
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
yes. Retroactive.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2020, 07:55 PM   #33
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Since the eastern half of Australia is on fire and volunteers from all over the place have gone to help fight it maybe the library is short-handed. Or maybe they're spending money to help out. Or maybe they're just having financial problems.

Their motives for discontinuing that service could be anything, honorable or not. Until we know it seems a bit silly to criticize.

It's not like there's a shortage of sources for PD books.

As for old books or old translations not being worth anything, well, that idea is worth criticizing. Maybe someone doesn't want to read old books or old translations but there are a lot of us who do! The book I'm currently reading, "Cimarron" which Edna Ferber wrote in 1930. She won a Pulitzer in 1924 for "So Big", one of the best books I've read in years. Each has been made into 2 movies, as have most of her other books.

I'd guess that probably 20% of the books I read are over 70 years old and some of the translations are that old as well. There's some mighty good reading.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 01:10 AM   #34
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
Since the eastern half of Australia is on fire and volunteers from all over the place have gone to help fight it maybe the library is short-handed. Or maybe they're spending money to help out. Or maybe they're just having financial problems.

Their motives for discontinuing that service could be anything, honorable or not. Until we know it seems a bit silly to criticize.
Thank you Barry!! I started reading this thread and one of the first things I thought was, "What if they are busy or otherwise occupied with the FIRES?"... Then I couldn't believe I had to get all the way to PAGE 3 of the comments for ANYONE to have even said anything about it.

It remains to be seen if it will be offline indefinitely or is just a temporary thing. Could be their power or internet provider is down or any number of things... but I'm sure eBooks are not on the top of most Australians' list of priorities right now...
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 01:25 AM   #35
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I doubt their internet provider or power is down as it responds and redirects to a statement on its closure.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2020, 09:26 AM   #36
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by teija View Post
Thank you Barry!! I started reading this thread and one of the first things I thought was, "What if they are busy or otherwise occupied with the FIRES?"... Then I couldn't believe I had to get all the way to PAGE 3 of the comments for ANYONE to have even said anything about it.

It remains to be seen if it will be offline indefinitely or is just a temporary thing. Could be their power or internet provider is down or any number of things... but I'm sure eBooks are not on the top of most Australians' list of priorities right now...
How many people are out fighting the fires, though? An existing website being taken offline seems pretty far down the list of things I would expect to be impacted by wildfires.
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 06:23 PM   #37
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I doubt fires had anything to do with it. None in downtown Adelaide near the University. Also, to be out firefighting you need to have training and equipment, such as the volunteer bush fire brigades in rural areas.

However, it is a shame it has gone. I used the University of Adelaide text file for the ebook I made of "Gone with the Wind", which is now in the Patricia Clark Memorial Library, and their proofing was so good it was a breeze.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 03:20 AM   #38
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
I've got an archive of the University of Adelaide ebooks. I'm in Australia, I'd be happy to make it available if I knew it was ok to do.

I'll send off an email to the Uni library contact address and see what they say.
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 03:52 AM   #39
Kindleing
Groupie
Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Kobos
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkophilus View Post
I've got an archive of the University of Adelaide ebooks. I'm in Australia, I'd be happy to make it available if I knew it was ok to do.
I'm curious about the approximate size of the collection - about how much disc space does it take?
Kindleing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 07:00 PM   #40
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindleing View Post
I'm curious about the approximate size of the collection - about how much disc space does it take?
The site is about 15.7GB total.
Old 01-18-2020, 04:31 AM   #41
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
So one homing pigeon with a cheap 32G microSD card.

@snarkophilus : I hope you make a backup and store it off site, on HDD as Flash fades. (So do DVDs unless pressed).
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 06:29 AM   #42
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
@snarkophilus : I hope you make a backup and store it off site, on HDD as Flash fades. (So do DVDs unless pressed).
I've got copies on three computers spread across two continents. Hopefully safe .
Old 01-18-2020, 10:46 AM   #43
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
The Margaret Mitchell estate, just as one example, still makes money in the US from the copyright of Gone with the Wind.
Yes. It can be legally downloaded from Gutenberg Australia when in almost any nation excepting the United States and, I think, Mexico.

P.S. It also seems to be in the Life + 70 Patricia Clark Library here.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 01-18-2020 at 10:52 AM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 11:18 AM   #44
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkophilus View Post

I'll send off an email to the Uni library contact address and see what they say.
Fantastic. Thanks!
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 11:20 AM   #45
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
P.S. It also seems to be in the Life + 70 Patricia Clark Library here.
Yes, Pulpmeister was quick. Since Mitchell died in 1949, her works became public domain on Jan. 1.

Last edited by doubleshuffle; 01-18-2020 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Corrected year of Mitchell's death.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote