Notices

Old 06-24-2020, 03:16 PM   #496
ozgurs
Enthusiast
ozgurs began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Have you had a good look at Kobo Nickel and how overly wide the line height is due to an error in the metadata?
yea.. the line gap is not so small, but i still like it and i don't think this is bug or error.. why do you think it is an error?

did you read the codes or metadata and see the error? or only guessing?

If you saw error, pls report it to kobo website bro.

so you not only make a great support to this forum only, but to kobo company as well...

Kobo Forma new user
ozgurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 03:20 PM   #497
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgurs View Post
yea.. the line gap is not so small, but i still like it and i don't think this is bug or error.. why do you think it is an error?

did you read the codes or metadata and see the error? or only guessing?

If you saw error, pls report it to kobo website bro.

so you not only make a great support to this forum only, but to kobo company as well...

Kobo Forma new user
I think of it as a bug because of the line height slider for ePub and KePub. You can make it larger but not smaller.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2020, 04:27 PM   #498
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Kobo Nickel has been broken at least since I got my H2O. The font would be good if Kobo bothered to fix the metrics.
Over the years, I've heard you talk several times about fixing a sideloaded font's line spacing in the font metrics. Would you mind sharing more detail about which of the many internal metrics you need to change when you do this? Please tell me you don't have to do it glyph by glyph.

[I know we can't change Kobo Nickel's metrics because it's encrypted/obfuscated.]
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 11:13 AM   #499
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Over the years, I've heard you talk several times about fixing a sideloaded font's line spacing in the font metrics. Would you mind sharing more detail about which of the many internal metrics you need to change when you do this? Please tell me you don't have to do it glyph by glyph.

[I know we can't change Kobo Nickel's metrics because it's encrypted/obfuscated.]
It's been a while since I've done this. But here are the metrics for Charis SIL and then the metrics for ChareInk. Kindle uses different metrics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ChareInk.JPG
Views:	411
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	180184   Click image for larger version

Name:	Charis SIL.JPG
Views:	355
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	180185  
Old 06-25-2020, 11:48 AM   #500
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
It's been a while since I've done this. But here are the metrics for Charis SIL and then the metrics for ChareInk. Kindle uses different metrics.
Thanks for that. Did you arrive at the ChareInk settings using some kind of logic or was it good old trial & error?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2020, 05:26 PM   #501
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Thanks for that. Did you arrive at the ChareInk settings using some kind of logic or was it good old trial & error?
It was trial and error. I originally set the line height for the Kindle smaller but someone asked for the line hight to be increased and I did so because the reason for the request was valid.

Last edited by JSWolf; 06-25-2020 at 05:51 PM.
Old 07-01-2020, 03:51 PM   #502
lovetoRL
Enthusiast
lovetoRL began at the beginning.

Device: looking
I'm trying to browse and learn all about Kobo, but I have a few rookie questions. I created a fonts folder however, I'm trying to figure out what everything is. I currently download through overdrive and sideload with calibre (and I'm realizing Calibre does more than I ever knew) but I noticed my fonts are different. First, where do you even find fonts? this thread? How do you change the size of fonts? I posted two pics as an example. I would like to have more words on the page.
Also, what is Kepub? Just the Kobo format for ebooks? Is there a beginner guide somewhere? I can be pretty tech savvy, but manipulating ereaders and ebooks is new to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200701_143243.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	446.3 KB
ID:	180322   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200701_143313.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	465.0 KB
ID:	180323  
lovetoRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 04:22 PM   #503
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoRL View Post
I'm trying to browse and learn all about Kobo, but I have a few rookie questions. I created a fonts folder however, I'm trying to figure out what everything is. I currently download through overdrive and sideload with calibre (and I'm realizing Calibre does more than I ever knew) but I noticed my fonts are different. First, where do you even find fonts? this thread? How do you change the size of fonts? I posted two pics as an example. I would like to have more words on the page.
Also, what is Kepub? Just the Kobo format for ebooks? Is there a beginner guide somewhere? I can be pretty tech savvy, but manipulating ereaders and ebooks is new to me.
1) you can find fonts in this thread or online some are free some you’d have to pay for and given the typical pricing it’s questionable if it’s worth it just to use on an ereader.

2) you’ll find your fonts by opening a book, tapping to bring up the menus and tapping the Aa icon on the top. You’ll also find line height and margin controls here.

3) while the above will get you more words per page to fully maximize your words per page you’ll have to patch your kobo which is fairly easy. You’ll find instructions in the developer’s forum here.

With patches and disabling the header and footer etc I’ve basically got text nearly edge to edge on my Forma. I have some margin because 1) I’m not gonna fuss over space that’s less than the height of the text 2) to give descender a bit of space so they don’t rub against the edge of the screen.

However I’m willing to read with a fairly narrow line height to achieve this goal. Not everyone is comfortable with it when I’ve shown it to them.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 04:47 PM   #504
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Maybe start a new thread asking your rookie questions. People will answer. But those questions likely don't belong in this thread.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 06:41 PM   #505
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Quote:
After You created the fonts directory and You filled it with the desired font You should fire off the Kobo and light on it, so the new font can be correctly viewed. I can't understand what do You mean when You say: "but I noticed my fonts are different." Kobo will show all standard fonts and all custom fonts.

In the first post of this thread You can find how to insert custom fonts in Your Kobo (change their file name as reported). There are also some modified fonts to fit better with Kobo (and some are no more available) because many fonts are too thin for a ereader.

The other way to increase the load of a font is to patch Your Kobo so You can set the weight also for custom fonts, there are no statistics but I suspect that it is the most used patch.

In the post #477 of this thread I linked some places where You can download tons of freely usable fonts.

Kepub is exactly what You guess. If You search in the forum there is a comparison between Epub and Kepub.

There is no beginner guide, but We where all beginner when we started (after 2 Years in some things I am still a beginner).

Last edited by ps67; 07-01-2020 at 06:45 PM.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 01:38 AM   #506
lovetoRL
Enthusiast
lovetoRL began at the beginning.

Device: looking
Thank you so much for the help!

I just meant in overdrive the font size is different than my books I've bought. But the post before yours told me how to change that.
lovetoRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:33 AM   #507
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Thank you so much for the help!

I just meant in overdrive the font size is different than my books I've bought. But the post before yours told me how to change that.
The problem is that the font scale with ePub and KePub is different. Because you get your Overdrive eBooks from Kobo, you get them as KePub and the font scale is smaller with KePub.

There are patches that will fix this and make KePub's font size match ePub's. Then you won't have to keep changing the font size. Any font size difference from then on will be due to the CSS in the eBooks.

One other thing, when you are replying to a message, please click the quote button in the lower right side of the message so we know to whom and what you are replying.
Old 07-29-2020, 05:12 PM   #508
JeanPierre
Zealot
JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Literata v3.002 has just been released, for the other Literata fans out there: https://github.com/googlefonts/literata/releases
JeanPierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 05:41 PM   #509
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanPierre View Post
Literata v3.002 has just been released, for the other Literata fans out there: https://github.com/googlefonts/literata/releases
The 7pt version is the best one for eInk.
Old 07-29-2020, 05:49 PM   #510
JeanPierre
Zealot
JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
The 7pt version is the best one for eInk.
I personally prefer 36pt, and find 7pt too round. However, given your considerable expertise on the subject of e-ink fonts, I am curious about something: is there an objective reason for that statement or is it just a subjective preference? If the information helps, my device is the Aura ONE.
JeanPierre is offline   Reply With Quote