Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-26-2020, 07:58 PM   #1
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
I will use whatever the default font face is set for a book. Here's why.

Whatever a book's default font face is (labelled as Publisher Default in the dropdown list in Kobo's settings), I won't change it.

You know why? Because if you change it to Kobo Ember or Calibri or whatever, then you lose the variety of fonts that come with "Publisher Default".

For instance, I was reading a book last night whose chapter headings were sans-serif and block-like and whose main text was svelte and serif. If I go with something other than "Publisher Default", I get a boring, homogeneous look. Yes, the content is priority, but I now appreciate appearance/presentation more than I did years ago.

Who's with me?

UPDATE: I've uploaded a picture of the "blocklike chapter headings" and the svelte and serif body text.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200629_084225a.jpg
Views:	668
Size:	280.8 KB
ID:	180278  

Last edited by droopy; 06-29-2020 at 04:53 PM.
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 08:32 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by droopy View Post
Who's with me?
Include me out. I've read too many ebooks that reminded of the not so good old days when many Macintosh users were enthused about seeing how many fonts they could used in a single page letter (see ransom note effect).
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 08:59 PM   #3
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I could live with it if: 1) it was tastefully done, but as DNSB pointed out, many turn their book into a bloated eyesore; and 2) if I didn't have such crappy eyesight, which means the fancy fonts others choose are too thin and light for me to read comfortably, even after increasing the font size.

So I'll never use publisher's specified fonts.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 09:25 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Nope. Can't live without my custom fonts and added weight.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 09:40 PM   #5
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
One of the reasons I opted for Kobo was the ability to load my own fonts. Publisher default takes that away and honestly doesn’t add to the story. I don’t care if chapter names are the same as the rest of the book. And there are better ways to emphasize text within the narrative than to change out the typeface, like bolding, or italicization.

Also I believe, but could be wrong, that it also affects the rest of your options in terms of line spacing, etc.

Either way I’ll pass.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 12:08 AM   #6
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Who's with me?

Maybe, if I'm allowed to strangle all of the people who make books using a sans serif face for the body text (in a fiction book).
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 12:30 AM   #7
DevonHess
Can't actually read
DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kindle PW2
Honestly, I couldn't disagree more. One of the big benefits of an eReader for me is being able to control the font. The homogeneous look lets me focus on the content.

I can understand that fonts might be part of the art form for you, but authors probably don't get to make those decisions 99% of the time anyway.

Ultimately, if I love a book, maybe I'll get a beautiful bound version with nice fonts and art to put on a bookshelf.
On my Kobo, I want as little CSS crap as possible.
DevonHess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 11:45 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
It depends on the book, I think. The big plus compared to paper is being able to change it.
However if the book is too degraded by using a selected Kindle font, and too annoying on the Publisher font/CSS, then I'll edit the CSS/HTML and maybe even embed fresh fonts. Especially common on texts from Gutenberg.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 12:11 PM   #9
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I'll see what the Publisher Font is, but many times change it. IMO, homogenous is good when reading fiction. I'm not a fan of sans-serif in books.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 12:25 PM   #10
Byrdie
Walking Library
Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle Paperwhite 5, 16 gb version
I never use Publisher's Default, though I have tried to because I've seen some beautifully done books that I'd like to read that way but can't; even at their most weighted, the fonts used are just too thin and I get eyestrain after a page or so. If I'm lucky -- most times the eyestrain kicks in around the second paragraph. So far Bookerly Bold works best for me, anything else is just a no-go, regardless of how nice and artistic the publisher's layout may be.
Byrdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 04:44 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
Maybe, if I'm allowed to strangle all of the people who make books using a sans serif face for the body text (in a fiction book).
I was thinking more about "something humorous, but lingering, with either boiling oil or melted lead".
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 04:52 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Whatever a book's default font face is (labelled as Publisher Default in the dropdown list in Kobo's settings), I won't change it.

You know why? Because if you change it to Kobo Ember or Calibri or whatever, then you lose the variety of fonts that come with "Publisher Default".

For instance, I was reading a book last night whose chapter headings were sans-serif and block-like and whose main text was svelte and serif. If I go with something other than "Publisher Default", I get a boring, homogeneous look. Yes, the content is priority, but I now appreciate appearance/presentation more than I did years ago.

Who's with me?
Svelte is one heck of an ugly font to use for the body font. One thing I find is that most embedded body fonts don't work. They are too light and the wrong font. Sometimes fonts used for the header work well.

If I like any of the fonts embedded, I'll keep them. I've not yet kept a font for the body in a rather long time. I don't need to set to Publisher Default as the font(s) embedded will show up and I can still use my choice of body font. This is something you cannot do with a Kindle. You either set it to Publisher Default or you see no embedded fonts.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 04:57 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
While your at it, please strangle everyone who embeds fonts that are too light for eInk in trying to duplicate the font(s) used in the pBook version. And strangle Penguin Random House for embedding stupid fonts for a single stupid page at the end of ALL of the Penguin eBooks.
Old 06-27-2020, 04:59 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
It depends on the book, I think. The big plus compared to paper is being able to change it.
However if the book is too degraded by using a selected Kindle font, and too annoying on the Publisher font/CSS, then I'll edit the CSS/HTML and maybe even embed fresh fonts. Especially common on texts from Gutenberg.
Why would you embed fonts instead of just removing the embedded fonts from the eBook and just selecting your own. New enough Kindles an Kobos allow you to side load your choice of font and to use that without the need to embed.
Old 06-27-2020, 05:00 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I'll see what the Publisher Font is, but many times change it. IMO, homogenous is good when reading fiction. I'm not a fan of sans-serif in books.
I've seen sans-serif used in eBooks for some of the body text. But if it's the main font, it has to be fixed.