Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-25-2020, 03:22 PM   #1
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
copyrighted public domain books

If I were to take a novel from some place that's published it as an ebook and strip out all of their formatting and any forward, preface, etc. stuff that they've added, so that it's only the original public domain book, and reformat it, would it be allowable to upload it here?

In the case that I'm thinking of, the Tom Barber trilogy, the books aren't available as scans on archive.org, or anywhere that I could find, although I did find the first (or last?) one, Young Tom, on Faded Page, which is how I learned of this author.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 03:30 PM   #2
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Instead of public domain I should have said books whose authors died over 70 years ago.
Old 06-25-2020, 03:50 PM   #3
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
If I were to take a novel from some place that's published it as an ebook and strip out all of their formatting and any forward, preface, etc. stuff that they've added, so that it's only the original public domain book, and reformat it, would it be allowable to upload it here?
Yes..
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 05:34 PM   #4
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Wouldn't the epub be seen as a new publication whose copyright term begins anew? If there are changes in the text from the originally published version, then those would be protected by copyright. I would think that you would have to compare the epub's text against the original text word by word, and revert any changes to the original version. But then again, IANAL.

The gutenberg sites are pretty careful about only using scans from editions that would be out of copyright. They avoid modern reprints that might have modifications to the original text (including fixed typos).

Last edited by rkomar; 06-25-2020 at 05:39 PM.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 06:16 PM   #5
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
I think you are both correct. The ebook is protected by copyright, but only because new creative work has been done to the PD text.

IF all that is stripped out, then what is left is not covered by copyright anymore. However, as rkomar points out, the only real way to be sure you have done so is to do a comparison with the actual original document. Otherwise, you have no true idea if what you have is consistent with the text that is in the public domain. It's possible they have made significant changes to the text itself.

If you strip out the preface and footnotes, you might be left with a PD book. Or, you might not.
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 06:19 PM   #6
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Didn't that used to be a trick of dictionary writers? They would purposefully have a few incorrect definitions in them. Then, if someone plagiarized their work, they could point to those lines as proof that their work had been stolen.
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 06:24 PM   #7
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Just curious, but if the source of ebook was published as the original work, say "Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen", and there was nothing in the copyright page, wouldn't it be safe to assume it is the original work, otherwise it would be fraud.

FWIW, IANAL.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 08:15 PM   #8
hobnail
Running with scissors

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyBob View Post
Didn't that used to be a trick of dictionary writers? They would purposefully have a few incorrect definitions in them. Then, if someone plagiarized their work, they could point to those lines as proof that their work had been stolen.
I'd heard it was done with maps; they'd add some bogus road.
Old 06-25-2020, 08:38 PM   #9
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
I think you are both correct. The ebook is protected by copyright, but only because new creative work has been done to the PD text.

IF all that is stripped out, then what is left is not covered by copyright anymore. However, as rkomar points out, the only real way to be sure you have done so is to do a comparison with the actual original document. Otherwise, you have no true idea if what you have is consistent with the text that is in the public domain. It's possible they have made significant changes to the text itself.

If you strip out the preface and footnotes, you might be left with a PD book. Or, you might not.
That is my understanding of it too. The only way to prove your copy is the same as the PD copy is to have the PD copy for comparison.

Quote:
John Green's 2008 book, Paper Towns, is named for this practice. Wikipedia - Fictitious Entry - talks about reference works with deliberate errors.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 08:47 PM   #10
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Didn't that used to be a trick of dictionary writers? They would purposefully have a few incorrect definitions in them.
This risks terrible reviews. Who would knowingly buy it?

P.S. Just saw #9. Does anyone here have that actual phony word in their Oxford dictionary?

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 06-25-2020 at 08:50 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 05:23 AM   #11
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Wouldn't the epub be seen as a new publication whose copyright term begins anew? If there are changes in the text from the originally published version, then those would be protected by copyright. I would think that you would have to compare the epub's text against the original text word by word, and revert any changes to the original version. But then again, IANAL.

The gutenberg sites are pretty careful about only using scans from editions that would be out of copyright. They avoid modern reprints that might have modifications to the original text (including fixed typos).
Copyright requires originality. Editorial changes (e.g. regularising/modernising spelling, fixing obvious typos) don't count. Project Gutenberg is that cautious because they're operating under US laws, so a later edition with corrections by the author might still be in copyright, but the earlier published work might be out of copyright. (Because of the way that copyright in the US depends on publication date for works published before 1978.)

You don't get a new copyright on a book's text just by republishing it.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 09:03 AM   #12
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Yes they did and probably still do. A friend used to publish city maps and I remember him showing me a map of Jacksonville, Florida with a noon existent cul-de-sac that he created.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 10:10 AM   #13
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It also used to be done with tables of logarithms. The last digit on some entries would be one digit off, as a way to prove that something had be copied rather than calculated independently.
Old 06-26-2020, 10:56 AM   #14
hobnail
Running with scissors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Yes they did and probably still do. A friend used to publish city maps and I remember him showing me a map of Jacksonville, Florida with a noon existent cul-de-sac that he created.
Apache
I even got caught by one. I was driving out in the middle of nowhere and I think the map showed a road going all the way through and connecting to another road, but it didn't. Can't say I miss those old AAA paper maps.
Old 06-26-2020, 10:59 AM   #15
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
I even got caught by one. I was driving out in the middle of nowhere and I think the map showed a road going all the way through and connecting to another road, but it didn't. Can't say I miss those old AAA paper maps.
That was probably just an error. Map makers add extra wiggles to otherwise straight roads, or a smal cul-de-sac that doesn't exist. They don't (intentionally!) add non-existent connecting roads.