Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-30-2019, 08:05 PM   #1
VirgoGirl
"Why is it doing *that*?"
VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Black Kobo Touch & Glo, responsible for 2 PaperWhites
Question Calibre Book Editor - "Previous" button under text search not working

Hi! This is a minor, yet annoying issue I just noticed today.

I had been running Calibre 3.18.? 64-bit version on Win 10 using Calibre's book editor, and noticed that I couldn't go pack to a previous "hit" using the "Text Search" feature. I *thought* I had been able to do that prior to today, I can't honestly remember. Not being able to do it on ANY epub, I updated to 3.43 (the latest version as of tonight), same problem. I can search "down" with the "next" button, but If I try and go "up" with the "previous" button, it'll find one hit then nothing, even if I found 12 things going "down".

Is this a bug? Or maybe did Win 10 kill something (again)? Or, am I just crazy and this is the way it's always worked?

Sorry to be a pain, I'm just trying to figure out if I'm crazy.

Update: Just double checked, after finding one hit using "down", it won't find a "previous" hit. At all.
VirgoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:11 PM   #2
VirgoGirl
VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Updating the update:

I removed the text search box from the editor, closed it, restarted Calibre. Opened the editor, re-initialized text search, problem resolved. Sorry to be a problem.

Updating the update of the updated:
Using Saved Searches before using text editor kills the "previous" button. the only way to get it to work again is to remove text editor, close editor and restart editor.

Last edited by VirgoGirl; 05-30-2019 at 08:15 PM.
Advert
Old 05-30-2019, 10:29 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Not sure I understand what you are saying. Which previous button is this? The next and previous buttons in the file preview panel?

And can you post a set of steps to recreate the problem, because I tried a few variations of open edit, use saved search, then click the down arrow a few times, then click the up arrow a few times and had no issues.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 08:20 AM   #4
VirgoGirl

Hi Kovid!

So, this is the text search box I'm talking about, with the "next" and "previous" buttons:

Step 1: Open up epub in ebook editor.
Step 2: type "x" in text search box (just a random character for testing), hit "previous", text box finds a "hit".

However, if I hit previous again, it just stays on that one hit. If I click "next", it'll go "forward" and find other cases of "x", but if I click "previous" again, it just stays on the most recent instance and doesn't go back to any of the previous instances of "x".

After playing with it extensively, it seems in my case it doesn't matter if I use "Saved Searches" or not, it's the same problem. And it's hit and miss, sometimes it'll work, other times it will not. I'm not doing anything different, the size of the epub doesn't seem to matter. It also doesn't matter if it's been converted or not.

Also, anything I typed for it to find when it does happen isn't saved in the text search saved memory. What I mean is, if I close the editor and reopen it, "x" doesn't show up on the pull-down menu even though I just looked for it.
Old 05-31-2019, 08:28 AM   #5
VirgoGirl

As of this morning, I can't get "previous" to work at all, no matter what I try, it won't go find previous instances if whatever I'm looking for. It's not the end of the world but I cant figure out what happened as I could have sworn this wasn't a problem before.
Advert
Old 05-31-2019, 08:42 AM   #6
VirgoGirl

Okay, lots of coffee and frustration have spurred me to discover a pattern. It will search "down" (next) for a one character search, such as "e" or "*" or a digit, but it WILL NOT search "up" (previous) for one character. IF I put in a word, or two characters, it WILL search backward, finding all instances. So I can search for "e" down through all the files, but if I try and go back because I've missed an instance, it won't go back. But if I type "the", I can go back and find any I missed using "next".
Old 05-31-2019, 04:47 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You say you’re running Calibre 3.18? That’s 26 versions out of date. The problem may well have been fixed in one of those 26 releases. Try updating to the current version 3.44 and see if that helps.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 05:31 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You say you’re running Calibre 3.18? That’s 26 versions out of date. The problem may well have been fixed in one of those 26 releases. Try updating to the current version 3.44 and see if that helps.
OTOH, one of her images in post #4 shows Calibre 3.43 being used.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 05:37 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
OTOH, one of her images in post #4 shows Calibre 3.43 being used.
the first post

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirgoGirl View Post

Not being able to do it on ANY epub, I updated to 3.43 (the latest version as of tonight), same problem.
BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 10:27 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Ah, you are using the plain text search widget. Fixed by https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...76c69cee8d07ec
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 01:49 PM   #11
VirgoGirl

Thank you, Kovid! I appreciate the fix and I'm so sorry to be annoying regarding it. I honestly thought I'd somehow corrupted the program, or Windows did something odd with an update that affected it. I only noticed it because so many of the things I now edit use "*" or "~" as a section divider and I need to remove them. Thank you again!!
Old 06-01-2019, 01:59 PM   #12
VirgoGirl

installed the update, I still can't get it to work with one character. This is not me complaining, I'll use a workaround. Thank you so much, though. I really appreciate your responding to my issue.
Old 06-01-2019, 02:00 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The fix will be in the next Calibre release. Kovid’s just fixed it in the source code.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 11:16 AM   #14
VirgoGirl

Ah! Okay! Thank you!