Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 01-16-2016, 08:50 PM   #1
atux
atux began at the beginning.

Device: none
Missing "function mode" for editor's Search & Replace

Hello everyone,

I apologize if this was answered before (I did some searches and skimmed through the first pages of this sub-section of forum to no avail).

In short, I installed calibre (v.2.5 apparently, even though on the official site the last version appears as 2.49) today on my Linux Jessie, in order to convert a PDF ebook to ePub.
As it turned out for some reason it made many of the words on the beginning of phrases, lowercase, therefore I was trying to use the editor with RegEx in order to re-capitalize the first letter for the words in question.

For some reason, the function mode is missing in the Search panel of the editor, when I click on the Mode drop-down box. Is this normal for this version?
From what I see in the changelog function mode for RegEx was introduced since v.2.11 and unless it was dropped lately I guess it should still be there.

If it's not available anymore, does anyone know what RegEx expression I could use in the Replace box in order to capitalize what was found by the Find function (if that's possible at all)?

I've been testing with the following RE string for finding lowercase words at the beginning at paragraphs for starters (and it identifies the words fine): (<p class="calibre1">)([a-z]).

From what I see, in the Replace box I can retrieve the second group by using the: \2 RE backwards reference but I cannot figure out for the life of me how to capitalize that (I'm quite a noob in RegEx yet).

If anyone has an idea how to do that or how to bring back the function mode in the editor (in case it's depending on some setting) or any other method to make a whole bunch of different words propercase, I would appreciate that a lot.

Thanks for your time.
atux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 08:57 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
No, you installed 2.5 (AKA 2.05) not 2.50

Rev numbers are strings

Most Linux distros are waaaaay behind and never update until the next distro release (and then, that is weeks stale)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2016, 03:11 AM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
version 2.5 comes before version 2.11 (read up on Semantic Versioning, that "5" vs. "11" is the minor number).

Please install the latest calibre from https://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux

Your distro is horribly out of date, but that is most distros for you.
I love Arch Linux...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:40 AM   #4
atux
atux began at the beginning.

Device: none
Wow! That was a major oversight from my part.

Thanks a bunch guys; I've installed the last version, 2.49, from the official site and now the function mode is there, of course.
And on top of it, the built-in Python function Title-case did exactly the trick I needed!

Which is freaking awesome!

Thanks again and a big thank you also to Kovid and everyone else who contributed to this suite of amazing software.
atux is offline   Reply With Quote