Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-14-2009, 09:40 AM   #1
JohnB
Enthusiast
JohnB began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500, iPAQ 4700, Rocket Ebook, BlackBerry
Remove PDF page headers ?

In converting library books meant for the Adobe Digital Editions reader to LRF (or PRC, or ???) format, I end up with author and title headers interspersed with the text. This, of course, doesn't end up on the page breaks of the device I try to read it on (PRS-500 or Nokia n800). Is there a way to remove these headers during conversion?
The straight PDF really is NOT very readable on the PRS-500, which is why I'm converting it to more flexible format.
I won't be surprised if the converter software has no way to detect these headers, but of course I'll be disappointed...
Thanks,
JohnB
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:44 PM   #2
apswartz
e-book reader
apswartz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Google Play Books on Samsung Tablet
I feel your pain. I have tried a number of utilities and haven't found one that does this yet.
apswartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2009, 06:48 AM   #3
hannah
Zealot
hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Bebook mini
I also have this problem
hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:51 AM   #4
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Acrobat Professional can remove headers... or at least it usually can, in my experience.

There are other options, however, to make a .PDF more readable on your Sony. I almost never use calibre. Instead, I use some combination of these tools:

PDFLRF
Rasterfarian
PDFread
SoPDF
PaperCrop

Mainly PDFLRF for PDFs that begin image based (e.g., from a scan) or SoPDF for PDFs that begin as text-based.

Last edited by frabjous; 03-17-2009 at 08:54 AM.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 03:14 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
Acrobat Professional can remove headers... or at least it usually can, in my experience.

There are other options, however, to make a .PDF more readable on your Sony. I almost never use calibre. Instead, I use some combination of these tools:

PDFLRF
Rasterfarian
PDFread
SoPDF
PaperCrop

Mainly PDFLRF for PDFs that begin image based (e.g., from a scan) or SoPDF for PDFs that begin as text-based.
None will work on PDF that is infected with DRM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2009, 11:18 AM   #6
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Calibre includes the utility pdftrim. It is command line, but it will allow you to remove the header.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:11 PM   #7
Bizkaia
Bizkaia began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
For non-DRMed pdf files you could also try the Mobipocket Creator (free to download from Mobipocket) the advanced install version of which imports pdf files and converts them to html. As far as I am aware it automatically (and quite successfully) removes headers and footers from pdf files. You can then edit/convert the created html file to a format of your liking.
Bizkaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:11 AM   #8
JohnB
Enthusiast
JohnB began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500, iPAQ 4700, Rocket Ebook, BlackBerry
Thanks for the suggestions, folks. I have to say I'm too burned out on installing various odd scripts and such to try any more command line utilities right now.
I have discovered that Mobipocket Reader does a pretty good job - I import the PDF (after somehow causing it to lose its DRM protection ) and it's converted to PRC. And then, I send it my Blackberry Storm. Hooray! In one case, the headers were magically gone, in another case there is a single odd number line (1.1, 2.2, etc) inserted a bit after each chapter starts.
If I want to read the book on my Sony PRS-500, it should be simple enough to convert from PRC to LRF using Calibre.
I should also install Mobipocket Reader, as suggested, and try that if I run into trouble.
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:23 AM   #9
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
The Mobipocket creator can do a decent job - but it depends on the source, of course. Just don't expect perfect.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:19 PM   #10
Student1
Groupie
Student1 doesn't litterStudent1 doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
None will work on PDF that is infected with DRM.
For DRM use PDF Password Remover v3.0, should take care of everything unless its password protected.
Student1 is offline   Reply With Quote