Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-18-2013, 09:08 PM   #1
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Do Not Download Overdrive App in Windows Store

I have a windows 8 computer. I use Calibre 32 (I had problems with the 64 version) and ADE 1.7. I checked out some books from the library, and they did not not show up in ADE, they were in the Overdrive App. When I tried to put them into Calibre, I just had an .ascm file, which opened up in my Overdrive app. After fooling around with this for several hours, I uninstalled the app. Then, when I tried to download the books for import into Calibre, Windows 8 had to be told to open it with ADE.

Save yourself some frustration, and make sure to uninstall the Overdrive app in your Windows 8 computer
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:20 PM   #2
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
That's how I always read Overdrive ePubs... in an Overdrive-related program, whether on my computer or on my phone or Fire. (I really prefer to check out books for my Kindle, though.)
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2013, 09:27 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
This is not the only case I've read about that the Win 8 version is lousy. Kindle for Win 8 is said to be lousy. Stick with the Win 7 versions.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:11 PM   #4
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
This is not the only case I've read about that the Win 8 version is lousy. Kindle for Win 8 is said to be lousy. Stick with the Win 7 versions.
Yes, no one can figure out where Kindle for Win 8 stores its books.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:50 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
I'm sure you know that the .ascm file is used by Overdrive or ADE to access (download?) the actual epub. The fact that it went to the overdrive app is most likely because .ascm was associated with that app. Changing the association to ADE should allow you to use ADE as you expected.

That said, I still have Windows 7 so I have no actual experience with Windows 8.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2013, 02:54 PM   #6
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Thanks! It is a free app, and I like my windows 7 version.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:04 AM   #7
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Overdrive does not by default overwrite any of your file associations (that's not allowed by store policy). It does register itself as an option, and the next time you open a .acsm file you'll be prompted to choose what to do with it (assuming you have other apps installed that registered for .acsm, like ADE). But it requires user intervention for the app to take over the file extension. If that's not what you want, don't open the file with Overdrive. And if you do accidentally do that and want to change it, you can fix that in multiple ways, like right-clicking a .acsm file -> Open with -> Choose default program ... or using the "Change the file type associated with a file extension" settings configuration (search for "file as" on the Start page, click the Settings results, and it should be the first hit, or Control Panel -> Programs -> Default Programs -> Associate a file type or protocol with a program).

The app is doing what it's supposed to do. The OS is doing what it's supposed to do. The only issue here is user error.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote