Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-07-2004, 10:20 PM   #1
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
looking for good freeware programmer text editor

I am looking for a good, small, free text editor for programming. I'd like to use it for editing perl and html. I've been using Editor2, which is way better than the Windows notepad, but not great for programming. There seem to be quite a lot of them. Does anyone have any suggestions? A quick google search gives me:
  • jEdit
  • ConTEXT
  • Crimson Editor
  • and more...
What's your experience? Alex, what do you use?
ignatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 09:53 AM   #2
Zire
Fanatic
Zire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Zire 71
Hey,

Try Lite Edit. It has customizable syntax hightlighting. Get it at http://download.com.com/3000-2352-10...ml?tag=lst-0-7 . I find it similiar to bbedit that I used to use when I did web pages on my mac.
Zire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2004, 10:19 AM   #3
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
I downloaded jEdit yesterday and began using it. It's very powerful and has a lot of great add-ons, though as a result it is a bit counter-intuitive at first. It runs in java, which I'm not completely used to, but it seems cool. I'll take a look at Lite Edit too...
ignatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 11:35 AM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I have been using UltraEdit for the last 4 years, and think it is one of the best Windows text editors out there. Alas, it is not free
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 03:55 PM   #5
Paranoid
Paranoid began at the beginning.

Device: None
UltraEdit is great and worth every cent.
Many editor bomb out if you load big files. (30MB+)
You can try it for free for 45 days.
Anyway I would advice to try all programs suggested.
You can only judge good and bad if you tested several programs.

just my 2 cents
Paranoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert