Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 07-23-2017, 08:23 PM   #1
Magic Matt
Magic Matt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle eReader 4
Android app to create Mobipocket(?) file please?

I plan to repurpose my old Kindle 4 to show lyrics in my band. I'll need to make files for the Kindle, and the most convenient method for me would be on my mobile then email the file to the Kindle.

Am I correct in thinking the file format I need to make is Mobipocket to be compatible with such an old eReader?

Can anyone recommend an Android app for this?
Magic Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:39 PM   #2
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Matt View Post
I plan to repurpose my old Kindle 4 to show lyrics in my band. I'll need to make files for the Kindle, and the most convenient method for me would be on my mobile then email the file to the Kindle.

Am I correct in thinking the file format I need to make is Mobipocket to be compatible with such an old eReader?

Can anyone recommend an Android app for this?
If you're going to email the file to your Kindle AZW3 isn't supported anyways on any Kindle.

Do you already have the files in a text or word document? You can just email those as well. You don't need to have them in mobi format.

There does seem to be an Android app called eBooker that will convert files to various ebook types on Android and even send it your Kindle. I've never tried it though.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 10:27 PM   #3
Magic Matt

Most of the files are in proprietary software, but you can copy paste the text anywhere you want. I need whatever format they're in to support page breaks. If there are easier formats to put it into them brilliant!

I'm not sure what AZW3 is - do I have the wrong file type? I thought .mobi was MobiPocket
Old 07-24-2017, 10:39 PM   #4
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
.mobi is Mobipocket but that's the old Kindle format. It's been superceded by AZW3 and KFX neither of which can be emailed. Emailing .mobi works though.

You can see what formats send to kindle by email supports here.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/sendtokindle/email

Word documents and RTF should support page breaks. That might be easier than trying to create a .mobi file on a phone.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:14 PM   #5
Magic Matt

I didn't realise you can just email Word etc. direct - I'll give that a go, thanks! There's a free version of Word for Android in the Play Store.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:32 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
.mobi is Mobipocket but that's the old Kindle format. It's been superceded by AZW3 and KFX neither of which can be emailed. Emailing .mobi works though.
The file extension tells you nothing: a file with a ".mobi" extension can contain either Mobi7 (the "old" Mobipocket format), KF8 (AKA "AZW3" - the newer format), or it can be a so-called "dual Mobi" file which contains both.

Mobi7 and dual-Mobi files can be emailed to a Kindle. Files containing just KF8 cannot be.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote