Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 05-15-2014, 06:03 PM   #1
dvd8n
Connoisseur
dvd8n will give the Devil his due.dvd8n will give the Devil his due.dvd8n will give the Devil his due.dvd8n will give the Devil his due.dvd8n will give the Devil his due.dvd8n will give the Devil his due.dvd8n will give the Devil his due.dvd8n will give the Devil his due.dvd8n will give the Devil his due.dvd8n will give the Devil his due.dvd8n will give the Devil his due.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Hanvon h516, Kobo Aura HD
Managing Collections

I set up Calibre to maintain collections on my Kobo Aura HD.

I went over the top a bit and set it up to create collections based on tag, series and author.

It worked but I ended up with too many collections - 62 pages - - too long to display and too long to find anything. So I decided to remove author.

However, this didn't actually remove the existing collections on the Aura.

Is there any way to make Calibre sort this out? Failing that can anyone suggest a way of doing it efficiently by hand?
dvd8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:12 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
As long as metadata management is set to automatic then changes to shelving options will occur when the device is connected.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:16 PM   #3
dvd8n
Connoisseur
dvd8n will give the Devil his due.dvd8n will give the Devil his due.dvd8n will give the Devil his due.dvd8n will give the Devil his due.dvd8n will give the Devil his due.dvd8n will give the Devil his due.dvd8n will give the Devil his due.dvd8n will give the Devil his due.dvd8n will give the Devil his due.dvd8n will give the Devil his due.dvd8n will give the Devil his due.

Is 'only on send' not enough to make this happen then?
Old 05-15-2014, 08:00 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd8n View Post
Is 'only on send' not enough to make this happen then?
"Only on send" is meant to only update collections for the books you send, as you send them.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:09 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
With automatic, it happens when calibre sees the device. With "Only on send", the metadata updating process runs after sending a book and the shelf management should be done then. I haven't tried this for a while, so I can't guarantee it works.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:20 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
With automatic, it happens when calibre sees the device. With "Only on send", the metadata updating process runs after sending a book and the shelf management should be done then. I haven't tried this for a while, so I can't guarantee it works.
I got the impression from reading around that calibre doesn't mess around with what's already there unless you set automatic? Then again, what do I know, it's not like I can try it out on my Kindle.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:58 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I got the impression from reading around that calibre doesn't mess around with what's already there unless you set automatic? Then again, what do I know, it's not like I can try it out on my Kindle.
I think that's the general idea. But, it should also do something with "Only on send". I usually say to set to automatic and had to check the driver code to see what happened. For automatic, the metadata sending job is triggered after the device is connected. For "Only on send", it is triggered after sending a book, or group of books. It should do the same thing, just at a different timing. For the Kobo devices, the recommendation for automatic is because of the need to do things the next time the device is seen after books are sent. There are things that can only be done after the device has processed the book into its internal database.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:44 AM   #8
dvd8n
Connoisseur

Thanks, that worked.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:59 AM   #9
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
A little context about metadata management:

When we introduced calibre-managed collections for Sony readers some four years ago there was a firestorm of protest about how calibre was destroying a user's carefully prepared work. After a lot (weeks) of discussion and negotiation we came up with the three options you see today. They are intended to have the following semantics:
  • Manual. When a book is sent to the device, calibre will add that book to collections specified by calibre's metadata. Calibre will never remove a book from a collection. This behavior preserves a user's hand-built collections, with the cost that a book can remain in collections that are no longer appropriate.
  • On send: When a book is sent to the device, that book is removed from any collection of which it is currently a member, then added to collections as indicated by calibre's metadata. This behavior prevents calibre from changing collections for other books, including ones that calibre does not know about. It also does not update collections when calibre's metadata changes.
  • Automatic. Calibre is to manage all collections on the device. Every time the device is connected or a book is sent, collections are rebuilt to correspond to calibre's current metadata values. No user-added collections survive this process.
Given these semantics, on-send management equals automatic management only if every book on the device is resent on every connection.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:35 AM   #10
dvd8n
Connoisseur

That corresponds precisely with what I was seeing. Thanks
Old 05-16-2014, 09:06 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Hmm, it probably isn't quite right. The automatic is, and I think the manual is as well. But, the on send is probably not quite right. I'll have to have a look at it.