Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-25-2013, 06:22 PM   #166
dancol90
dancol90 plays well with othersdancol90 plays well with othersdancol90 plays well with othersdancol90 plays well with othersdancol90 plays well with othersdancol90 plays well with othersdancol90 plays well with othersdancol90 plays well with othersdancol90 plays well with othersdancol90 plays well with othersdancol90 plays well with others

Device: Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarekGibek View Post
You're very very close to success. The correct root partition is "/dev/mmcblk0p2" not mmcblk0p1 (p1 is user data - fat32). Please change that number and try again.
I've hex-edited bootargs to mmcblk0p2 but it's still the same, it gets stuck at this:

Code:
Waiting for root device /dev/mmcblk0p2...
So it's not only the partition, there's something more...but I can't find what!
dancol90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:27 PM   #167
haolin
haolin began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by stasys View Post
Тhanks Marek! It works on Kobo Glo.
For the full happiness would be good to kill green blinking light - do you know how?
good news!
haolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:41 PM   #168
dd366
dd366 doesn't litterdd366 doesn't litter

Device: Kobo glo
Quote:

Code:
dd if=tolino_original.img of=tolino_logo.raw bs=1 skip=9437184 count=388096
Okkkkkkk !
The ofset is from image file. (.img)

I thought it was from partition ext4 ...

I'll try it tomorow. Many thanks.
dd366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:53 PM   #169
dd366

Quote:
Originally Posted by stasys View Post
Тhanks Marek! It works on Kobo Glo.
For the full happiness would be good to kill green blinking light - do you know how?
I made it a few days.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=129

I resume because perhaps that wasn't clear...

for the moment I use this workaround:

Install SManager from
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...anager%26hl=en
or
http://smanager.wikidot.com/main:start

It permit to launch a shell script after reboot

You have just to create a script with

Code:
ioctl -d /dev/ntx_io 127 0
and to set it as startup.

--- SManager instructions:
Menu, create a new script, give it a name, choose an editor,
<type your script>
then back, save the script
then click on it in the browser (it is at the root), select boot and favorite, record, exit

Menu, script should list it.
Reboot.
----

or simply run the line in a adb shell or in a term apk at each reboot.
(because Smanager is not very user friendly )

----
I'm trying to install it in init.rc ( thanks to MarekGibek who has made the init.rc persistant) but that doesnt run for the moment...
Old 11-26-2013, 02:42 AM   #170
stasys
Zealot
stasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo, Paperwhite
dd366, I have seen your post but you wrote that "It works well (despite tiny char interface) but is not ideal in term of memory usage and power in sleep mode."
So I'll better wait till you will integrate script to init.rc
stasys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:58 PM   #171
MarekGibek
Zealot
MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancol90 View Post
I've hex-edited bootargs to mmcblk0p2 but it's still the same, it gets stuck at this:

Code:
Waiting for root device /dev/mmcblk0p2...
So it's not only the partition, there's something more...but I can't find what!
Dancol, can you please show me how your u-boot config string from your image looks like? I mean this part:

Code:
bootdelay=0 baudrate=115200 loadaddr=0x70800000 netdev=eth0 ethprime=FEC0 uboot=u-boot.bin kernel=uImage nfsroot=/opt/eldk/arm bootargs_base=setenv bootargs console=ttymxc0,115200 bootargs_nfs=setenv bootargs ${bootargs} root=/dev/nfs ip=dhcp nfsroot=${serverip}:${nfsroot},v3,tcp bootcmd_net=run bootargs_base bootargs_nfs; tftpboot ${loadaddr} ${kernel}; bootm bootargs_mmc=setenv bootargs ${bootargs} root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 rootwait rw noinitrd init=/init video=mxc_elcdif_fb:off                   bootcmd_mmc=run bootargs_base bootargs_mmc; mmc read 0 0x70800000 0x800 0x2000; bootm   bootcmd=run bootcmd_mmc                                  bootargs=console=ttymxc0 init=/init androidboot.console=ttymxc0 keypad video=mxc_elcdif_fb:off calibration
I think there are a few important things you must have to run Android. Especially this:

"/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 rootwait rw noinitrd init=/init video=mxc_elcdif_fbff"

I know it is the hardest part. On the other hand it is not that long string - it's only scarry If you update it correctly you will succeed. I can try to update it for you if you sent me this fragment from your image.

If you have different addresses on Kobo Mini (0x70800000?) - you should leave your values untouched.

Also this part is very important:

0x70800000 0x800 0x2000

The last value is the max size of the kernel. Please note that Android kernel is longer and it is 0x2000 instead of smaller value whatever it was before.

Last edited by MarekGibek; 11-26-2013 at 04:03 PM.
MarekGibek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:07 PM   #172
MarekGibek
Zealot
MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd366 View Post
Okkkkkkk !
The ofset is from image file. (.img)

I thought it was from partition ext4 ...

I'll try it tomorow. Many thanks.
Yes. Boot images are placed before first partition. Just like partition table, u-boot block, kernel, ramdisk in previous version, waveform data, hardware configuration, passwords to your bank account and more crazy stuff
Old 11-26-2013, 04:17 PM   #173
mastnacek
Enthusiast
mastnacek has learned how to read e-booksmastnacek has learned how to read e-booksmastnacek has learned how to read e-booksmastnacek has learned how to read e-booksmastnacek has learned how to read e-booksmastnacek has learned how to read e-booksmastnacek has learned how to read e-booksmastnacek has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo Mini
Quote:
Dancol, can you please show me how your u-boot config string from your image looks like? I mean this part:

Code:
bootdelay=0 baudrate=115200 loadaddr=0x70800000 netdev=eth0 ethprime=FEC0 uboot=u-boot.bin kernel=uImage nfsroot=/opt/eldk/arm bootargs_base=setenv bootargs console=ttymxc0,115200 bootargs_nfs=setenv bootargs ${bootargs} root=/dev/nfs ip=dhcp nfsroot=${serverip}:${nfsroot},v3,tcp bootcmd_net=run bootargs_base bootargs_nfs; tftpboot ${loadaddr} ${kernel}; bootm bootargs_mmc=setenv bootargs ${bootargs} root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 rootwait rw noinitrd init=/init video=mxc_elcdif_fb:off                   bootcmd_mmc=run bootargs_base bootargs_mmc; mmc read 0 0x70800000 0x800 0x2000; bootm   bootcmd=run bootcmd_mmc                                  bootargs=console=ttymxc0 init=/init androidboot.console=ttymxc0 keypad video=mxc_elcdif_fb:off calibration
I think there are a few important things you must have to run Android. Especially this:

"/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 rootwait rw noinitrd init=/init video=mxc_elcdif_fbff"

I know it is the hardest part. On the other hand it is not that long string - it's only scarry If you update it correctly you will succeed. I can try to update it for you if you sent me this fragment from your image.

If you have different addresses on Kobo Mini (0x70800000?) - you should leave your values untouched.

Also this part is very important:

0x70800000 0x800 0x2000

The last value is the max size of the kernel. Please note that Android kernel is longer and it is 0x2000 instead of smaller value whatever it was before.
Go Go Go I cant wait
mastnacek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:26 PM   #174
MarekGibek
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd366 View Post
I'm trying to restore the original logo 1024x758 in your Touch image (or replacing with custom logo)
... and if you want to replace poweroff and sleeping images (JPG format) - they are inside MsgE6.apk (but it's complicated process involving apktool and signing).

It's funny that poweroff image is empty (white). Because of that I thought there is no such thing as poweroff image.

There is an easier way to change sleeping image. You can put "suspend.jpg" on user partition (/sdcard).
Old 11-27-2013, 12:15 PM   #175
bulnes123
bulnes123 doesn't litterbulnes123 doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Touch
I would like to install this on a kobo aura hd. I tried with the touch img but it get's stuck on boot...

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks
bulnes123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:02 PM   #176
MarekGibek
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulnes123 View Post
I would like to install this on a kobo aura hd. I tried with the touch img but it get's stuck on boot...

Can anyone help me with this?
Kernel in the current Android image supports resolutions up to 1024x758. For Aura HD (at least because of different resolution but there may be other differences) someone is needed to patch the kernel. Without it - it has no right to work.

I think I know how to do it but Aura HD is so expensive reader that I don't plan to buy it. And merging Android specific stuff to Aura HD's kernel and testing it later is not a one evening job.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:31 PM   #177
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo and Aura HD
Quote:
Kernel in the current Android image supports resolutions up to 1024x758. For Aura HD (at least because of different resolution but there may be other differences) someone is needed to patch the kernel. Without it - it has no right to work.

I think I know how to do it but Aura HD is so expensive reader that I don't plan to buy it. And merging Android specific stuff to Aura HD's kernel and testing it later is not a one evening job.
It would be easier I think to add Aurahd code to the tolino kernel. I've started doing that bot my free time has drastically reduced, since last monday I've got a full time job (I was a student till october). I'll try to keep on working on such projects during the weekends.
giorgio130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:24 PM   #178
dd366

Quote:
... and if you want to replace poweroff and sleeping images (JPG format) - they are inside MsgE6.apk (but it's complicated process involving apktool and signing).

It's funny that poweroff image is empty (white). Because of that I thought there is no such thing as poweroff image.

There is an easier way to change sleeping image. You can put "suspend.jpg" on user partition (/sdcard).
Thanks. I was aware for suspend.jpg but still searching for poweroff image !

------------
Where come from the kernel source you recompiled with rotation patch ?
The image has HW CONFIG v1.6

I have found only these two kernels:

from http://www.tolino.de/at/produkte/tol...hnische-daten/
http://tolino.de/wp-uploads/kernel.tar.gz 158 485 068
HW CONFIG is v1.7 (within ntx_hwconfig.c)

from http://naberius.de/category/linux/programming/kernel/
http://tolino.naberius.de/kernel.tar.gz 114 164 844
HW CONFIG is v1.3 (within ntx_hwconfig.c)

Or perhaps you have left untouched the HW CONFIG v1.6 from original image and used one of these two above ?

[Edit]
I have found the kernel on your github account.
It's the HWConfig v1.3 version, am I right ?
You have only modified drivers/input/touchscreen/zforce_i2c.c ?

Last edited by dd366; 11-28-2013 at 09:13 AM.
Old 11-28-2013, 04:21 AM   #179
askrates
askrates began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Looking forward to it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgio130 View Post
It would be easier I think to add Aurahd code to the tolino kernel. I've started doing that bot my free time has drastically reduced, since last monday I've got a full time job (I was a student till october). I'll try to keep on working on such projects during the weekends.
As an Aura HD owner, I am looking forward to any news! Hope you will keep at it
askrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:17 PM   #180
haolin
haolin began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
wait front light off path
haolin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, glo, kobo, shine, tolino