Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-05-2018, 02:13 PM   #3031
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgi View Post
How?

I have a KV which I used (and OTAd to 5.9.2.0.1) before finding out about jailbreaking, and would love to try whatever it is you did. So far a downgrade to 5.5.0 using the instructions in the wiki did not work, as expected.
I'm afraid your only option at this point is a serial jailbreak. Don't try unless you are comfortable with opening your KV and working with delicate connectors and using the specific required hardware to do so.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:31 PM   #3032
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgi View Post
How?

I have a KV which I used (and OTAd to 5.9.2.0.1) before finding out about jailbreaking, and would love to try whatever it is you did. So far a downgrade to 5.5.0 using the instructions in the wiki did not work, as expected.
It should be the factory 5.9.2.0.1, not upgraded.
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2018, 11:39 AM   #3033
jaqenhgar
jaqenhgar began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
Newbie: Paperwhite 5.9.2.0.1

Purchased brand new Paperwhite with pre-installed firmware 5.9.2.0.1 today 6th Dec18. Seeking help for jailbreaking, first kindle device. No idea how to go about it,

PS: went through previous posts regarding downgrading and all, plz help . Have a great idea about Android rooting , but here total noob :-(
jaqenhgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 12:35 PM   #3034
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqenhgar View Post
Purchased brand new Paperwhite with pre-installed firmware 5.9.2.0.1 today 6th Dec18. Seeking help for jailbreaking, first kindle device. No idea how to go about it,

PS: went through previous posts regarding downgrading and all, plz help . Have a great idea about Android rooting , but here total noob :-(
There are thirty or forty models of "Paperwhite" -
You (and we) need to know its model nickname as used here.

Use the first six characters of the serial number and this table:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers

And until you get a chance to post that information Keep it away from Wifi (it will auto-update and then your screwed).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 12:59 PM   #3035
jaqenhgar
jaqenhgar began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
There are thirty or forty models of "Paperwhite" -
You (and we) need to know its model nickname as used here.

Use the first six characters of the serial number and this table:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers

And until you get a chance to post that information Keep it away from Wifi (it will auto-update and then your screwed).

Hey thanks for replying .model no G090G1, Kindle PaperWhite 3 (2015) WiFi , Aug 2017 import.
jaqenhgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2018, 01:19 PM   #3036
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqenhgar View Post
Hey thanks for replying .model no G090G1, Kindle PaperWhite 3 (2015) WiFi , Aug 2017 import.
The thread you want:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=291336

I'll PM you the additional information you will need.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:04 PM   #3037
FallinBike
FallinBike began at the beginning.

Device: KT3
I have a kt3(b) with fw 5.9.2.0.1 is there any way that I can get custom screensavers?
FallinBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:11 PM   #3038
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallinBike View Post
I have a kt3(b) with fw 5.9.2.0.1 is there any way that I can get custom screensavers?
Any device, other than the two Oasis models, can be jail broken using the serial port.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:36 PM   #3039
FallinBike

Is there any software jailbreak available for me though? I would rather not risk breaking the internals of my kindle. I just got it for Christmas and simply want to have the screensaver be the cover of the book I'm currently reading.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:47 PM   #3040
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Is there any software jailbreak available for me though? I would rather not risk breaking the internals of my kindle. I just got it for Christmas and simply want to have the screensaver be the cover of the book I'm currently reading.
There is no software jailbreak for your firmware.
You are stuck with the standard screensavers.
Oh if you have special offers, you have to remove them before the Screensaver hack will work if you choose the serial route.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:57 PM   #3041
FallinBike

Is anyone currently working on a software jailbreak? I've been wanting to do a project to get familiar with general computing for a while now and was wondering if trying to find a software jailbreak for the kindle would be a good starting project.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:22 PM   #3042
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Is anyone currently working on a software jailbreak? I've been wanting to do a project to get familiar with general computing for a while now and was wondering if trying to find a software jailbreak for the kindle would be a good starting project.
It is a rather advanced topic to be a starting point.

The goal is simple: store a file (about 300 bytes) in /etc/uks directory.
That part of the file system tree is not (or is not intended to be) accessible over the USB cable.
Nearly every jail break has used a different vector to get that file installed.
Reviewing the earlier jail breaks (they are all public source) would give a good idea of the things to be looked for in a particular firmware version.

The way things work here, in the case of a jail break, is that everyone works independently and not in public.
Nothing will be announced until something is ready for general use.
(I broke that rule with the KOA2, but that case is just a variation on this jb vector that has been published here for over 18 months.)
The reason for public silence about the work-in-progress is so Amazon/Lab126 does not get a head start on blocking the next-to-be jail break before it can be made ready for general public use.

With that in mind - - -
No, I haven't heard of anyone working on a jail break for 5.9.x on any device model.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:10 PM   #3043
towinkg
towinkg began at the beginning.

Hey there, trying to jailbreak my new-to-me KT3 for the first time.

I'm following the information on the wiki, but I'm confused. I factory reset the kindle, and downloaded the initial firmware file, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do next.

Am I supposed to reset while the kindle is still attached to the computer and copy the file over immediately after? (I'm not sure how to do this, it says to eject the kindle from the computer, but when I did that it didn't give me back control of my kindle until I unplugged it) Or am I supposed to run through all the set up after resetting and then copy the file over?

I suspect it's the second option...? But it makes me nervous that the wiki doesn't actually say that.
towinkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 06:29 PM   #3044
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by towinkg View Post
Hey there, trying to jailbreak my new-to-me KT3 for the first time.

I'm following the information on the wiki, but I'm confused. I factory reset the kindle, and downloaded the initial firmware file, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do next.

Am I supposed to reset while the kindle is still attached to the computer and copy the file over immediately after? (I'm not sure how to do this, it says to eject the kindle from the computer, but when I did that it didn't give me back control of my kindle until I unplugged it) Or am I supposed to run through all the set up after resetting and then copy the file over?

I suspect it's the second option...? But it makes me nervous that the wiki doesn't actually say that.
Not enough data to give you an answer.
What are the first 6 of the serial number and the firmware?
Do steps 1-6 exactly.
Do you know how to eject? Only when you get the safely remove then you unplug and get control back of your kindle. Follow the remaining steps.

If you still do not understand all the directions: do not try the jailbreak.

Last edited by Cinisajoy; 01-12-2018 at 06:34 PM.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 06:50 PM   #3045
knc1
Going Viral

The wiki is a copy of the first post of this thread, use the first post as a reference.
At least you will get numbered steps to ask about that way.

And yes, as far as I know, any firmware version for a KT3 can be jail broken,
It is one of the known exceptions.