Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-26-2012, 01:51 AM   #1
Miss
Connoisseur
Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook 360+
Kobo ebooks to non-Kobo reader

It seems there must be a really obvious answer that I'm missing but I'm tired, I've researched for the past hour or two unsuccessfully, I'm pulling out my hair and I think before I go totally bald the saner thing to do would be to swallow my pride and ask for help yet again.

I have a Kobo account, I've "purchased" some free ebooks from there and taken some previews as well. They show up in my Kobo library. Yet I cannot seem to find a way to, well, read them. Clicking on a book takes me back to the info page on it. I also have the option to delete a book from my library. I don't see any other options available to me.

What am I missing? I'd like to get them into Calibre where I can put them on my PB360+ from there.
Miss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:32 AM   #2
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
(on the site) Login -> My Library -> Download Epub on the title you want.

Then you can open them in Adobe Digital Editions and read them there or put them on any other device that supports epubs. There doesn't seem to be a way any more to read them directly on the site anymore - it's either download them manually that way or read them from Kobo's app (as explained when you scroll down the book's info page).
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2012, 04:14 AM   #3
Miss
Connoisseur
Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
(on the site) Login -> My Library -> Download Epub on the title you want.

Then you can open them in Adobe Digital Editions and read them there or put them on any other device that supports epubs. There doesn't seem to be a way any more to read them directly on the site anymore - it's either download them manually that way or read them from Kobo's app (as explained when you scroll down the book's info page).
For the preview books I see "Download options: Adobe DRM EPUB" but none of them are clickable. I've clicked all over them and nothing happens.

The free ebooks do not show any download options; there is nothing that says download, or epub, or adobe, or DRM anywhere in connection to those books in my library.

I've removed and added the things back to my library, I've tried multiple titles thinking it was just a glitch?

Where is this download button?
Old 01-26-2012, 04:23 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Some free ebooks at Kobo are in their evil KEPUB format only (i.e. Kobo apps only), but if there is an Adobe EPUB option, as JD Gumby said, you should see a magenta button for downloading the Adobe version.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:34 AM   #5
Miss
Connoisseur

Screenshot attached.

The only magenta I'm seeing is a big ol' "delete" button. If there's something here you all are seeing that I'm not then I'll have to have a talk with my doctor about those side effects mentioned in the fine print!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo issues 2.png
Views:	232
Size:	179.5 KB
ID:	81707  
Advert
Old 01-26-2012, 04:54 AM   #6
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2o
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss View Post
Screenshot attached.

The only magenta I'm seeing is a big ol' "delete" button. If there's something here you all are seeing that I'm not then I'll have to have a talk with my doctor about those side effects mentioned in the fine print!
This is what you should be seeing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot at 2012-01-26 19:23:40.png
Views:	218
Size:	323.7 KB
ID:	81710  
MorganM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:00 AM   #7
Miss
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganM View Post
This is what you should be seeing.
Ohhh.

Now that makes sense.

My computer is jealous. It wants what your computer has.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:01 AM   #8
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Most of the free books from the Kobo store are in the KEPUB format which can only be read in the Kobo Desktop Application and in Kobo ereaders and apps. Since you do not appear to have a Kobo ereader, smartphone or tablet, your only option is to download and install the Desktop Application available here. www.kobobooks.com/desktop

Last edited by Joe563; 01-26-2012 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Clarification
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:01 PM   #9
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
As joe says you have to download the Kobo Desktop app to read those books. You used to be able to read the books online but now you can't for some reason.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:55 PM   #10
winsomnia
Groupie
winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: kobo Touch, kobo Aura
It really bothers me that they no longer allow you to read previews on the kobobooks site. I don't use the kobo Desktop (except initial setup) and I don't want to download previews onto my kobo touch.

I used to skim previews to get a feel for potential new writers (& books) that I might want to try reading. That was part of my shopping experience. I shop for ebooks on my computer only, I don't shop on my kobo touch (and I never will).

Now if I see a book I'm interested in, instead of looking at a preview on kobobooks, I go to google and other places to look for more information. It slows down my shopping and potentially will curtail it.
winsomnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:56 AM   #11
Miss
Connoisseur

Thanks, Joe. Got the desktop app and can read the books, but as I can see can't get them onto the Pocketbook.

So am I understanding this correctly...if I actually spend money on a book, then the download option will appear, enabling me to get the book onto my computer where I can put it into Calibre or onto my Pocketbook or anywhere else I please?

I didn't want to purchase a book until I was certain I had the system figured out so I wouldn't end up wasting money, but I am eager to have more options for reading material.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:43 AM   #12
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss View Post
So am I understanding this correctly...if I actually spend money on a book, then the download option will appear, enabling me to get the book onto my computer where I can put it into Calibre or onto my Pocketbook or anywhere else I please?
Just make sure you double check that the book has "Adobe DRM e-pub" listed as an available format under download options. Most do, but there are a few that don't have an Adobe e-pub option and then you'll be stuck reading it on the Kobo desktop or a Kobo device. You will need Adobe Digital Editions (free) software to download it then you can (I think) use Calibre to move it around with DRM on it, or strip the DRM with Calibre (google "Apprentice Alf") and put the raw e-pub where you want.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote