Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 11-22-2011, 08:44 AM   #1
jasambre
jasambre began at the beginning.

Device: none
One book in diffrent languages

I have some books in two different languages and I would like to keep them as a single record but two different separate files (in different folders) in calibre. For example
Agatha Christie\Death on the Nile\serbian\Death on the Nile-Agatha Christie.epub
and
Agatha Christie\Death on the Nile\english\ Death on the Nile-Agatha Christie.epub
When I add file into the record calibre overwrites old file if it is same format , so I have to have different formats for different languages -not always possible.
jasambre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:19 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasambre View Post
I have some books in two different languages and I would like to keep them as a single record but two different separate files (in different folders) in calibre. For example
Agatha Christie\Death on the Nile\serbian\Death on the Nile-Agatha Christie.epub
and
Agatha Christie\Death on the Nile\english\ Death on the Nile-Agatha Christie.epub
When I add file into the record calibre overwrites old file if it is same format , so I have to have different formats for different languages -not always possible.
Create an EMPTY Book (use the little arrow to the right of add).
Now fill in the metadata, Including the Correct language.
Drag and Drop the format into the Formats window

NB Each unique book record has an ID number that will keep other (languages...) from overwriting the same format. As long as you use this Longer method for adding alternate languages of the same title
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2011, 10:25 AM   #3
jasambre

No, this is not it. This way I have 2 identical but separate records in calibre - not one.
What I am looking for is something like series only reverse. When you click on series name you got all the books in the this serial , and I would like to have a template or something -click on title and calibre displays various languages, or volumes or editions , same title but still different files (regardless of used format)

Last edited by jasambre; 11-22-2011 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:46 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No, this is not it. This way I have 2 identical but separate records in calibre - not one.
What I am looking for is something like series only reverse. When you click on series name you got all the books in the this serial , and I would like to have a template or something -click on title and calibre displays various languages, or volumes or editions , same title but still different files (regardless of used format)
If you use Language (green +) in the tag browser, you can see only those that have titles in that language.
You an hold the control key and click other items (in any section)

Match all should be the setting at the bottom of the list.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:11 AM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
This is not a current Calibre capability. A single book record can only support one set of metadata - what you are asking for would require it to support multiple sets of metadata and would require substantial changes to the Calibre database schema.

As was mentioned the closest you are going to get in current Calibre is to use multiple book records with the different records only varying by what is different (e.g Language, ISBN etc).
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2011, 11:12 AM   #6
jasambre

You are talking about filtering. What I am looking for is to create sub-records of one title (based on languages, volumes, etc) and to be allowed to drop files into particular sub record -not a record itself. Your suggestion to have two separated records based on languages is Ok- I just look for template witch will allow me to join them (not merge them) into single record, and when I join them to have + sign (green or not) on that title so I can expand them into different languages, volumes etc.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:35 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
You are talking about filtering. What I am looking for is to create sub-records of one title (based on languages, volumes, etc) and to be allowed to drop files into particular sub record -not a record itself. Your suggestion to have two separated records based on languages is Ok- I just look for template witch will allow me to join them (not merge them) into single record, and when I join them to have + sign (green or not) on that title so I can expand them into different languages, volumes etc.
It sounds like you are looking under the skirts of the calibre library.
when you send to device / Save to Disk, you can include Literal or template field folders in the Template.
Since {Language} is not a predefined field, you need to use the Template language or just set a Literal value in the template before you send that language
{authors}/{title}/FR/{title}
Old 11-22-2011, 11:36 AM   #8
jasambre

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
This is not a current Calibre capability. A single book record can only support one set of metadata - what you are asking for would require it to support multiple sets of metadata and would require substantial changes to the Calibre database schema.

As was mentioned the closest you are going to get in current Calibre is to use multiple book records with the different records only varying by what is different (e.g Language, ISBN etc).
Suggestion for calibre programers. It will not require multiple set of metadata- it will require 2 more fields in database and new operation join.
fields will be joined_to_other records:boolean and joined_records:list
When you preform join operation first selected record will fill joined_records list with ID of other records, and other records will have YES in the joined_to_the_others. In the title list there will be + when joined_records is not empty and records with joined_to_the_others equal to YES will not be displayed until expanded.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:16 PM   #9
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Effectively that is storing multiple sets of metadata as each record stores a set, and just defines a way of linking records. While that might be one way of linking records, it may well not be the best way (I suspect not). Also even if this was implemented at the database level there would be HUGE implications throught much of the GUI code to try and take advantage of it.

Note that Kovid is always willing to consider accepting source code patches if people can work out how to achieve something as long as it does not compromise other calibre functionality.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 02:16 PM   #10
Scullion
Scullion is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony 505
I simply created seperate libraries in Calibre for French, Spanish and Italian books as well as the main one for books in English.
Scullion is offline   Reply With Quote