Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-19-2011, 08:16 PM   #91
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
My books are all side loaded as I never bought from the iBooks store. However all showed their covers properly in iOS 4.3.x. Moot point I guess as I don't read on the iPad anyway what with the terrible text rendering.
Mine are sideloaded too (well, in that I transfer them from Calibre to iTunes). Odd. I hate idiosyncratic problems.

...but I'm the same, I don't use iBooks either.

What about the Safari scrolling thing?

I'm actually not fond of the Safari tabs...I like the idea, but I like screen-space too, and I feel like they impinge on it (purely subjective of course).

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:41 AM   #92
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
It's interesting to me that people are finding the Galaxy is hitting their "just right" zone. Thinking back to my previous work life, I suspect I might prefer it too. I now definitely feel like playing with one, just to see. How's it working out for you?
Good that you asked, so I can share my experience. I will try to keep it in comparison to iOS5 features, so I won't "hijack" the whole thread.

In terms of notifications, there is not much I can talk (bad I mean) about the Galaxy SII. It is the same good stuff you can find on previous Android cellphones. Notifications are not invasive and you can customize pushing or pulling time for email syncs. It comes with a "Social Network" or "Universal email" app, so you get a bigger pictures of emails and Social Networks, all in one. Not sure if we have something similar on iOS5.

The colors are vivid and bright. Not same resolution you can find on new iPhone but in my humble opinion, better for browsing and checking emails. This screen is a good compromise between portability and size. Anything bigger, like the oncoming Galaxy Note, would be too big in my opinion, not to mention battery life (comments in a minute)

I'm on Tmobile. Reception is a subjective matter, but I have no problems sending and recieving calls. Sound quality is good as well, same for volume. I did not change carriers and got it without contract, so not much I can add here. Happy with Tmobile network and data plan.

Internet is blasting fast! wooahh! Really fast. And it's not the network only, is also because the hardware. Because my Sidekick 4G is not as fast browsing pages and online stuff like this one. If you're in a good 4G area, browsing Internet is a delightful experience.

Battery life is not the best. I am not a regular user though. I do couple of phone calls, short ones, texting, and browsing Internet and checking emails during the days, a lot. After several days of usage I found I'm around 26% at 5pm CST, which in my opinion, is bad. For active users where cellphone is a must for work, we will need a better battery or tweak the UI a lot (doing that right now) If I got an emergency phone call from work at 7pm and not at home yet, I will be in trouble.

My Sidekick 4G has plently of juice at that same time, around 30% or even more, with similar usage. Of course, is a small screen, but still I can do the same exact stuff. I would like to compare battery life with a new iPhone user, but a hardcore one, and see if iOS5 really improves on that aspect.

Overall, nice phone. Really fast. Light. For some reason (maybe the physical keyboard) find the Sidekick 4G more ... suitable for heavy work or usage? But the Galaxy SII is a nice piece of hardware. No noticeable lag and really fast browsing Internet.

Last edited by jocampo; 10-20-2011 at 11:46 AM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2011, 12:03 AM   #93
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
So what happened to all my book covers in iBooks after the iOS 5 upgrade? Now they are all a butt ugly generic cover!
jswinden,
not sure if you discovered this already, but unsyncing all your books, then resyncing them will bring back all the covers.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote