Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-16-2018, 09:02 AM   #1
Ocicat
Groupie
Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Librie,PRS900,950,K4, KT, PW1&2, KV
Aura and Overdrive

Thinking of getting an Aura One for the size and Overdrive access, the Kindle Oasis 2 did not agree with me and I returned it. My favorite ereader was the Sony PRS-950, currently I am using the Kindle Voyage and the Paperwhite 2.

I have read Kobo threads, Kobo and Overdrive FAQ's on their websites for several days and I still have some questions.

Why do you think one can only borrow from the Kobo catalog and not from one's library catalog?
Would that be a technical reason or a marketing one?
Ocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:33 PM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Short version is that Kobo is delivering the Overdrive borrowed books on the KA1 via their own servers as kepubs rather than via Overdrives servers as an epub. Therefore, if Kobo doesn't have the exact same version of the book for sale it's not available for direct download on the KA1. All Overdrive books are available on the KA1, but if Kobo doesn't have it you have to do the normal download via ADE and put it onto the device via USB (rather than directly downloading it).
Whether doing it this way was a technical decision, financial decision, marketing decision or a combination of these, who knows.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:10 PM   #3
Ocicat
Groupie
Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Librie,PRS900,950,K4, KT, PW1&2, KV
Thank you for your explanation.
Ocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:29 PM   #4
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
For what it's worth, it doesn't happen that often for me. I haven't had a book checked out from Overdrive that wouldn't sync with the KA1 for awhile now.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote