Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 12-18-2017, 10:15 PM   #16
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Basically if the plugin already exists somewhere, some toolbar/menubar/context menu, then the user is not asked to specify a location. Only if it doesn't exist in any toolbar/menubar/context menu is the user prompted. I suspect BR only puts his plugins in the Favorites plugin and not in any builtin location.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 10:55 PM   #17
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Basically if the plugin already exists somewhere, some toolbar/menubar/context menu, then the user is not asked to specify a location. Only if it doesn't exist in any toolbar/menubar/context menu is the user prompted. I suspect BR only puts his plugins in the Favorites plugin and not in any builtin location.
Precisely. As I wrote in post #3:

Quote:
I don't have any tools or plugins in toolbars or in menu bars**. I use keyboard shortcuts wherever I can, otherwise everything is in the context menus, or in the Favourites Menu (which is in the context menus)

<---snip--->

Maybe it only happens because I always deselect the defaults - more or less on principle
It's not for nothing my title is what it is; given the chance I will always take the do nothing (null operator) path.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 12:01 AM   #18
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
I don't know the reason but EpubSplit is an exception to that. It's included in my library context menu, and when there is an update, the windows to select location appears. I remember it because it is not the usual behavior.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 10:10 AM   #19
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I don't know the reason but EpubSplit is an exception to that. It's included in my library context menu, and when there is an update, the windows to select location appears. I remember it because it is not the usual behavior.
What is your Calibre Language set at? Translation mis-match?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 11:07 AM   #20
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
What is your Calibre Language set at? Translation mis-match?
Spanish. Perhaps that is the reason.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 04:08 PM   #21
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Kovid and Plugin developers

I would have thought the test ought be:

If the plugin was not already installed, i.e. configuration folder->plugins->this.zip was absent at the start of the current update process, then pop the 'which menu' question at the end of the current update process with default selections, otherwise do nothing.

But, the question is... could this be rectified within existing shared common code, or would it require changes within individual plugin code.

@Kovid - if the former is it worth my while lodging a 'bug' report?

If the latter then forget it. Firstly the defect is not critical; secondly, there are far too many plugins that have been effectively abandoned (e.g. User Category) or are on limited support (View Manager) to warrant a concerted campaign to rectify the defect.

BR
Old 12-19-2017, 10:02 PM   #22
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

IIRC the reason it is this way is so that people that remove plugins fro the toolbar and then forget they have done so, can restore them by un-installing and re-installing the plugin, a process that many people seem to use rather than going to Preferences->Tollbars.
Old 12-20-2017, 06:48 AM   #23
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
IIRC the reason it is this way is so that people that remove plugins fro the toolbar and then forget they have done so, can restore them by un-installing and re-installing the plugin, a process that many people seem to use rather than going to Preferences->Tollbars.
Well if they uninstall and reinstall that's fair enough, because at the start of the install the plugin.zip would not exist, so... pop the 'which menu' question at the end of the install process with default selections.

But I am not doing that, I am installing the just released version to replace the previous version. IMO my previous tool/menu bar settings for the PI (including none) should persist - just like other PI specific settings persist .

I'm pretty sure I've said all I have to say on this, and even though I'm repeating myself I'll say it French this time -- Ça ne fait rien

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 12-20-2017 at 06:50 AM.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:04 PM   #24
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
I'm not able to duplicate Terisa de morgan's issue with EpubSplit. Once it's on the Library Context Menu, I don't get the "Add "%s" to toolbars or menus" dialog anymore in English or in Spanish. The code uses the internal plugin name, not a translated version.

BetterRed - For testing purposes, I can trigger the Add "%s" to toolbars or menus" dialog again by manually installing the same plugin again without waiting for an update.

IMHO, asking Calibre to check for existing plugins configured in the Favourites plugin isn't very feasible.

It might be possible for check_for_add_to_toolbars()(src/calibre/gui2/preferences/plugins.py:415) to also check for keyboard shortcuts, but could it tell the difference between user added custom shortcuts and default shortcuts?

A simple workaround is to add the plugins to a menu or toolbar you don't use. I, for one, didn't even know there was a separate Cover view context menu.
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 01:04 PM   #25
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@BR: I get what you're saying, I am just hesitant about making this change, as it is in code I did not write and do not use. Oh well, lets roll the dice: https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...57553ec7f11b3a
Old 12-20-2017, 04:37 PM   #26
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
BetterRed [. . .] IMHO, asking Calibre to check for existing plugins configured in the Favourites plugin isn't very feasible.
Couldn't agree more.

But my position is; when a new version of an existing plugin is 'installed' the question as where its to be put shouldn't even be put

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
A simple workaround is to add the plugins to a menu or toolbar you don't use. I, for one, didn't even know there was a separate Cover view context menu.
Nah, when I subsequently saw it I'd forget why it was there and then I'd delete it. I'd rather leave it as is and curse when it puts the question again, and I neglect to delete the defaults again, and have to use Prefs->Toolbars to delete them again .

Quote:
@BR: I get what you're saying, I am just hesitant about making this change, as it is in code I did not write and do not use. Oh well, lets roll the dice: https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...57553ec7f11b3a

I'll defer installing the new version of the Goodreads plugin until you release 3.15 and let you know what happens, here.

If the change causes any grief you have my blessing to reverse it - its not a critical issue, just an annoyance to a minority of users - maybe just one in three million

BR
Old 12-20-2017, 06:38 PM   #27
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I'll defer installing the new version of the Goodreads plugin until you release 3.15 and let you know what happens, here.
The update for the Goodreads Metadata source plugin, shouldn't trigger this as metadata source plugins don't go on menus or toolsbars. But, if you mean the Goodreads Sync, then that should be a test case.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 10:38 PM   #28
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The update for the Goodreads Metadata source plugin, shouldn't trigger this as metadata source plugins don't go on menus or toolsbars. But, if you mean the Goodreads Sync, then that should be a test case.
Of course they don't

I don't use Goodreads Synch, and I would prefer not to contrive a test.

Maybe the changes to the Modify PI will be released soon. Or DaltonST will add a new blade to Job Spy. That's the one I tripped up on twice in a row, and that lead me to start this thread - not his fault though.

BR
Old 01-10-2018, 11:28 PM   #29
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

For the record : I finally installed a new version of a previously installed plugin today (Job Spy), and I didn't get a message asking where to put it. Thanks Kovid.

FWIW, I don't put JS anywhere, I put the individual tools I want into the Favourites menu.

BR