Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-02-2012, 09:23 AM   #16
johnchao
johnchao began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Thumbs down setLocale() exception

I tried this firmware, but found a problem:
The ReaderEpub app doesn't follow the "my fonts" settings. I have to install the package from twll. However, after overwriting it, the custom dictionary will result in an sqlite error. I'm wondering if this is due to the Russian support mod or twll hack? Because of this problem, I tried a completely wipe with firmware 1.0, but the problem still exist after Reader app replaced.

Code:
E/DatabaseUtils( 1833): Writing exception to parcel
E/DatabaseUtils( 1833): java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: settings
E/DatabaseUtils( 1833): 	at net.runserver.appLauncher.ReaderSettingsProvider.getColumnName(ReaderSettingsProvider.java:49)
E/DatabaseUtils( 1833): 	at net.runserver.appLauncher.ReaderSettingsProvider.query(ReaderSettingsProvider.java:85)
E/DatabaseUtils( 1833): 	at android.content.ContentProvider$Transport.bulkQuery(ContentProvider.java:112)
E/DatabaseUtils( 1833): 	at android.content.ContentProviderNative.onTransact(ContentProviderNative.java:97)
E/DatabaseUtils( 1833): 	at android.os.Binder.execTransact(Binder.java:287)
E/DatabaseUtils( 1833): 	at dalvik.system.NativeStart.run(Native Method)
E/DatabaseUtils( 1833): 	at net.runserver.appLauncher.ReaderSettingsProvider.getColumnName(ReaderSettingsProvider.java:49)
E/DatabaseUtils( 1833): 	at net.runserver.appLauncher.ReaderSettingsProvider.query(ReaderSettingsProvider.java:85)
E/DatabaseUtils( 1833): 	at android.content.ContentProvider$Transport.bulkQuery(ContentProvider.java:112)
E/DatabaseUtils( 1833): 	at android.content.ContentProviderNative.onTransact(ContentProviderNative.java:97)
E/DatabaseUtils( 1833): 	at net.runserver.appLauncher.ReaderSettingsProvider.insert(ReaderSettingsProvider.java:69)
E/DatabaseUtils( 1833): 	at android.content.ContentProvider$Transport.insert(ContentProvider.java:140)
E/DatabaseUtils( 1833): 	at android.content.ContentProviderNative.onTransact(ContentProviderNative.java:125)
W/ActivityManager( 1789): Activity pause timeout for HistoryRecord{4391fd08 {com.bravo.ereader.activities/com.bravo.ereader.activities.ReaderActivity}}
W/System.err( 1948): SLF4J: The following loggers will not work becasue they were created
W/System.err( 1948): SLF4J: during the default configuration phase of the underlying logging system.
W/System.err( 1948): SLF4J: See also http://www.slf4j.org/codes.html#substituteLogger
D/SurfaceFlinger( 1789): Returning pmem allocator!
I/global  ( 1948): Default buffer size used in BufferedReader constructor. It would be better to be explicit if an 8k-char buffer is required.
E/Database( 1948): DELETE failed setting locale
E/Database( 1948): Failed to setLocale() when constructing, closing the database
E/Database( 1948): android.database.sqlite.SQLiteException: unable to open database file
E/Database( 1948): 	at android.database.sqlite.SQLiteDatabase.native_setLocale(Native Method)
E/Database( 1948): 	at android.database.sqlite.SQLiteDatabase.setLocale(SQLiteDatabase.java:1636)
E/Database( 1948): 	at android.database.sqlite.SQLiteDatabase.<init>(SQLiteDatabase.java:1586)
E/Database( 1948): 	at android.database.sqlite.SQLiteDatabase.openDatabase(SQLiteDatabase.java:638)
E/Database( 1948): 	at android.database.sqlite.SQLiteDatabase.openOrCreateDatabase(SQLiteDatabase.java:659)
E/Database( 1948): 	at com.ereader.android.nook.DictionaryActivity.LookUpInBiographicalAndGeographicalDictionaries(DictionaryActivity.java:770)
E/Database( 1948): 	at com.ereader.android.nook.DictionaryActivity$DefinitionWorker.run(DictionaryActivity.java:318)
E/Database( 1948): 	at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:416)
E/Database( 1948): 	at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:256)
E/Database( 1948): 	at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:122)
E/Database( 1948): 	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:648)
E/Database( 1948): 	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:673)
E/Database( 1948): 	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:1058)
W/System.err( 1948): android.database.sqlite.SQLiteException: unable to open database file
W/System.err( 1948): 	at android.database.sqlite.SQLiteDatabase.native_setLocale(Native Method)
W/System.err( 1948): 	at android.database.sqlite.SQLiteDatabase.setLocale(SQLiteDatabase.java:1636)
W/System.err( 1948): 	at android.database.sqlite.SQLiteDatabase.<init>(SQLiteDatabase.java:1586)
W/System.err( 1948): 	at android.database.sqlite.SQLiteDatabase.openDatabase(SQLiteDatabase.java:638)
W/System.err( 1948): 	at android.database.sqlite.SQLiteDatabase.openOrCreateDatabase(SQLiteDatabase.java:659)
W/System.err( 1948): 	at com.ereader.android.nook.DictionaryActivity.LookUpInBiographicalAndGeographicalDictionaries(DictionaryActivity.java:770)
W/System.err( 1948): 	at com.ereader.android.nook.DictionaryActivity$DefinitionWorker.run(DictionaryActivity.java:318)
W/System.err( 1948): 	at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:416)
W/System.err( 1948): 	at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:256)
W/System.err( 1948): 	at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:122)
W/System.err( 1948): 	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:648)
W/System.err( 1948): 	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:673)
W/System.err( 1948): 	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:1058)
johnchao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:33 AM   #17
johnchao

Forgot to mention that the whole ROM is actually packed quite neat and the battery usage is very good. It servers quite well as long as you don't need custom font and custom dictionary at the same time.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:15 PM   #18
somapainter
somapainter began at the beginning.

Device: nook e-ink
Hi all,

Lovely community you've got here.

I have a question about flashing the new firmware. I'm running rooted nook -eink with serial > 1003*, firmware 1.41, and mynook.ru launcher. Do I have the process right? (admittedly filtered through google translate)

1) unzip file and copy bravo_update.dat to EXTERNAL sd while it is mounted on pc
2) adb push not install nookUpdate.apk to /data/app/net.runserver.nookUpdate.apk
3) ???? (reboot nook and follow prompts on-screen to find firmware image and update?)
4) PROFIT!! (reboot again into modified 1.7)

Or will I lose root and thus should start the process with putting the adbd.html file on external sd so I can reroot first?

Thanks for any and all help.
somapainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:49 PM   #19
Johnatton
Johnatton began at the beginning.

Does anyone know if there are any updates to this?
Johnatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:10 AM   #20
agg23
agg23 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook 1st Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by somapainter View Post
Hi all,

Lovely community you've got here.

I have a question about flashing the new firmware. I'm running rooted nook -eink with serial > 1003*, firmware 1.41, and mynook.ru launcher. Do I have the process right? (admittedly filtered through google translate)

1) unzip file and copy bravo_update.dat to EXTERNAL sd while it is mounted on pc
2) adb push not install nookUpdate.apk to /data/app/net.runserver.nookUpdate.apk
3) ???? (reboot nook and follow prompts on-screen to find firmware image and update?)
4) PROFIT!! (reboot again into modified 1.7)

Or will I lose root and thus should start the process with putting the adbd.html file on external sd so I can reroot first?

Thanks for any and all help.
That would be about right. I'm not sure why you couldn't run adb install (I got the update manually, which took forever).
agg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:13 AM   #21
agg23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagtag View Post
If already softrooted via 2.5.1 does this provide much?
It depends on your point of view. I haven't seen any real benefits (except for an unstable system XD ), but you might have better results than myself.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:52 PM   #22
Laurensber
Laurensber began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Flashed it today!

I did reinstall the orginal nookdev launcher and the nookdev libary app and so far I'm very pleased.

The new (?) fullscreen option in the reader app is gorgeous, everything works very smooth and fast and the new additions are welcome.

I haven't tested the battery life yet (so far it's still charging) but I hope to be surprised
Laurensber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:40 PM   #23
agg23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurensber View Post
Flashed it today!

I did reinstall the orginal nookdev launcher and the nookdev libary app and so far I'm very pleased.

The new (?) fullscreen option in the reader app is gorgeous, everything works very smooth and fast and the new additions are welcome.

I haven't tested the battery life yet (so far it's still charging) but I hope to be surprised
What fullscreen option are you talking about? In the B&N Reader?
Old 01-17-2012, 05:20 AM   #24
Laurensber
Laurensber began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agg23 View Post
What fullscreen option are you talking about? In the B&N Reader?
Yes.

Battery life so far seems to be very decent.
Laurensber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:00 AM   #25
dervish
dervish began at the beginning.

How to install + a few remarks

Hi guys.

Yesterday I installed this firmware. Thanks to Darkker, Twll, Nomad and all friends that make nook such a good reader. Without you passing the knowledge, it would not be the same.

The installation is simple enough.

1) You need a rooted Nook. Mine was originally 1.5 (September 2010) which was upgraded to 1.7 and then rooted. The browser hack at NookDevs is easy enough to perform.

2) Get the 1.7 bravo update file from here http://runserver.net/temp/bravo_update_1.7.0k.zip Unzip it to the root directory of Nook
3) Get the update application from here http://runserver.net/nook/nookUpdate.apk
4) Connect to the nook by adb. Install nookUpdate.apk by "adb install nookUpdate.apk"
5) On the nook interface find the Update application and start it. It will begin the installation.

None of my books were lost. But my former rooted applications got lost.

Tips:
New library is ... not to my tastes. If you also think that way install library from Nookdevs. Again with adb install NookLibrary.apk

-You can put the fonts you want under /my fonts into three directories. I like Ubuntu font, it looks very good on Nook.

Detailed installation steps are here http://twll.blogspot.com/p/nook-firm...rovements.html . Just put them according to the format, you need not change any system files.

-Whenever you open a file to read, you have two choices, Nomad Reader or (regular) Reader.

Nomad reader has many advantages:
-Finer font control. You may chose among 4 fonts.
-Finer font size/line space control. Finally you can chose your exact typography, playing with font sizes and types. You still have additonal five size selection to all these.
-Configurable full screen. In my setup full screen lets me have +3 lines (which is very good I think)

Problem:
With all these improvements, I have a problem.

Nomad reader interferes with book format. I could not understand why but once in ten pages or so it makes an unnecessary line feed.

Like:

Quote:
Usually this is not my problem
into

Quote:
U
sually this is not my problem
This may and may not be a show stopper for you. But times and times the effects are bigger, like a page break that was uncalled.

In a book I even came across missing pictures, which showed just fine with the regular reader while totally missing in the Nomad application.

You may come up with a middle way, like installing the Twll's version of reader, which also has full screen + configurable (but not as much as Nomad's) fonts.

Final words:

Total responsiveness and page refresh rate has improved.

Nomad is a very good reader. If anyone knows how to overcome the problem mentioned above, needless to use the regular one.

Thanks again for being such a nice community.
dervish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:51 AM   #26
johnchao

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocorism View Post
I tried doing the update, but it didn't work.
I also tried putting the bravo_update.dat on the root of the memory card but that didn't work.
* Either you go from Firmware 1.0 (old type of nook only).
* Or you use nookUpdate (from NookMarket of nookDevs) on your rooted nook.

I think some soft-rooted FW has crippled the auto update for "safety" reasons.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:13 AM   #27
johnchao

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervish View Post
Detailed installation steps are here http://twll.blogspot.com/p/nook-firm...rovements.html . Just put them according to the format, you need not change any system files.
So did you replace the reader with the latest one on Twll's web site? Some how I can't manage to have the reader app. come with the firmware to use custom fonts. (works after replacing)

Quote:
Nomad reader has many advantages:
Problem:
I have problem of line-break with CJK content. (it simply does not break) Probably it's because CJK usually do not have "space" between characters.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:05 PM   #28
tagtag
tagtag began at the beginning.

Device: Nook wifi (B&W)
Bumping up to see if anyone has more recent experience with this firmware or the latest available for the classic nook.

Also, I'm not sure if I should be using this Russian firmware or the one via Twll's website - is that based on the 1.7?

Currently I'm running a rooted 1.7. Main complaint is the standby life on my device is crap these days.

Last edited by tagtag; 08-10-2012 at 03:10 PM.
tagtag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:27 AM   #29
johnchao

Weeks ago, I tried to use re-flash everything. This time, only the libpdfhost.so from twll is used and no previous dictionary problem is found. Since twll's hack is partly based on Russian nooker's work (e-reader app.), I guess it's the different locale caused the problem. For the battery lifetime, I found it's still excellent. Any degradation would be coming from other application installed?
Old 08-19-2012, 06:30 PM   #30
agg23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagtag View Post
Bumping up to see if anyone has more recent experience with this firmware or the latest available for the classic nook.

Also, I'm not sure if I should be using this Russian firmware or the one via Twll's website - is that based on the 1.7?

Currently I'm running a rooted 1.7. Main complaint is the standby life on my device is crap these days.
The firmware modifications on Twll's website are very small compared to what is done by the Russian firmware. The Russian firmware is a bit buggy, but has many improvements comparative to stock.