Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 06-19-2012, 05:07 AM   #1
sebastianmichael
The Optimist
sebastianmichael is a marvel to beholdsebastianmichael is a marvel to beholdsebastianmichael is a marvel to beholdsebastianmichael is a marvel to beholdsebastianmichael is a marvel to beholdsebastianmichael is a marvel to beholdsebastianmichael is a marvel to beholdsebastianmichael is a marvel to beholdsebastianmichael is a marvel to beholdsebastianmichael is a marvel to beholdsebastianmichael is a marvel to behold

Device: Kindle; iPhone
Post ANGEL - "A delight to read ... delicate, funny and wildly alluring." (Stephen Fry)

ANGEL
Novel
by Sebastian Michael

"A delight to read. So delicate, casually cruel, wickedly funny and wildly alluring."
- Stephen Fry

Damion is a boy who is so beautiful that everybody falls in love with him. This, his greatest advantage in life, gradually turns into his heaviest burden and so as he reaches adulthood, Damion, in an act half wanton, half heroic, destroys what for most people - but not for him - has come to define his essence. - A classic tale of a young man seeking his destiny.

The following description by Alana Jelinek, author of Ohm's Law, is taken from the back cover of the original hardback edition:

"Sebastian Michael's novel, 'Angel', is a great achievement; beautifully written and thoroughly engaging.

At face value it is the story of a young man so beautiful that 'anyone who met him fell instantly in love with him'. His emergence from boyhood is described with an astonishing sympathy for the experience of adolescence. The author has a great gift for subtle and commanding characterisation, one result of which is our developing appreciation of the burden of beauty on the 'hero' of the tale and all who come into contact with him. Events are beautifully described with a perspicacity for place and sensation.

On another level, 'Angel' can be read as an allegory of a society concerned largely with the superficial. Here value is determined by Beauty and the consequence of a great surfeit in power created by fundamental inequalities between people is explored in the trajectories of human lives. 'Angel' raises questions of responsibility and agency, as those privileged by society try to claim some responsibility for what appears to be pre-determined lives. We are asked to consider to what extent we can be responsible for the impact of our existence.

'Angel' is compelling and curious, an intelligent inquiry and a sensual pleasure. Its characters and their experiences feel immediately real and they also resonate over time remaining with the reader: so true is the author's ability with narrative and character. With 'Angel', Sebastian Michael has produced a novel that is a pleasure to read, that has depth and detail, and that raises some of the important questions for the contemporary moment. The ultimate meaning of 'Angel' will be a subject of debate between readers, as is inevitable with a novel that works so well on many levels."

ANGEL is now available on major eBook platforms:

Kindle on amazon.co.uk:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Angel-ebook/dp/B007AYSTCA

Kindle on amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.com/Angel-ebook/dp/B007AYSTCA

iBooks:
http://itunes.apple.com/book/angel/id540881828

Nook:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/ange...=9781471744273

Kobo:
http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/Angel..._5A/page1.html

Also in the ePub format from Lulu, compatible with iBooks, Nook, Kobo and Adobe Digital Editions:
http://www.lulu.com/shop/sebastian-m...-20216926.html

Thank you for reading and please feel free to get in touch by any of the means below.

Sebastian Michael
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

at home: http://sebastianmichael.com
at work: http://optimistcreations.com
at play:
http://twitter.com/#!/sebmichael
http://sebastianmichael.tumblr.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Op...el/25861468759

Last edited by sebastianmichael; 08-12-2012 at 03:48 AM.
sebastianmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:28 PM   #2
sebastianmichael
The Optimist
sebastianmichael is a marvel to beholdsebastianmichael is a marvel to beholdsebastianmichael is a marvel to beholdsebastianmichael is a marvel to beholdsebastianmichael is a marvel to beholdsebastianmichael is a marvel to beholdsebastianmichael is a marvel to beholdsebastianmichael is a marvel to beholdsebastianmichael is a marvel to beholdsebastianmichael is a marvel to beholdsebastianmichael is a marvel to behold

Thank you to everyone who has already downloaded Angel. Although it went live on Kindle back in February, I only started introducing it to the e-reader community a bit over a week ago and it is tremendously encouraging to see a pick-up so quickly. I really appreciate your support for this book!
Old 07-04-2012, 07:35 AM   #3
sebastianmichael
The Optimist

Angel now also on the iBookstore

UPDATE: Angel has now also gone live on the Apple iBookstore, so it is now available for easy download to your iOS device: iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch.

And in further good news: this version is only $2.99 / £1.99 (a discount price set by the store itself! - Correct at time of writing)

ANGEL on the Apple iBookstore:
http://itunes.apple.com/book/angel/id540881828
Old 07-11-2012, 06:29 AM   #4
sebastianmichael
The Optimist

Angel now also on Nook

UPDATE: Angel has now also gone live on the Barnes & Noble Nook Store:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/ange...=9781471744273

(I believe this may be mainly relevant to readers in the United States. The download price there has been set by B&N at an easy $2.99.)

I've updated the original post to include all of the major sources from which Angel is now available as an eBook, as far as I'm aware. If you know of any others, please do let me know!

Thanks for your interest in Angel and I do hope you'll find reading it worthwhile; the feedback I am receiving is really most encouraging!
Old 07-11-2012, 06:57 AM   #5
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
I wish you all good wishes with the book , but sadly Stephen Fry's praise wouldn't make me want to immediately grab it......

Sorry.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:52 AM   #6
sebastianmichael
The Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
I wish you all good wishes with the book , but sadly Stephen Fry's praise wouldn't make me want to immediately grab it......

Sorry.
No need to apologise! I'm sure that neither he nor my book are everybody's cup of tea. But as a match for an endorsement I couldn't be happier about it: I do admire and respect the man enormously and it's fair to say that chances are good anyone who does like and relate to him will also be able to like and relate to Angel.

(Also: I'm a practically unknown, first time author; I need all the help I can get, so if a quote like this comes along I'd be a most ardent fool not to employ it...)
Old 07-19-2012, 04:09 PM   #7
sebastianmichael
The Optimist

A new review just out with five out of five stars for Angel on Goodreads from Literary R&R:‎

"A haunting story...the words are nearly as beautiful as the character of Damion." - "Angel may very well change how you choose to view others." *****

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/371251405

http://literaryrr.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07...chael.html
Old 07-19-2012, 05:01 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Are you going to put up a nicely made ePub at Kobo?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:15 AM   #9
sebastianmichael
The Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
heya JS - I'm so sorry, I've only just noticed your question (been away for a few days...) - there is a nicely made ePub and I didn't even realise I had to make it available especially for Kobo (I thought that Kobo was just a generic ePub reader), but thanks for the tip, I will look into this immediately and update as soon as I have any news!
Old 08-04-2012, 09:43 AM   #10
sebastianmichael
The Optimist

Angel now also features on Authonomy - a great initiative by Harper Collins to give new writers a platform and readers access to emerging work. Here you can read the opening section (about a fifth of the book) for free and rate and comment:

http://authonomy.com/books/45525/angel/
Old 08-12-2012, 03:47 AM   #11
sebastianmichael
The Optimist

Angel now also on Kobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm glad to report that this has now happened, and here it is:

http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/Angel..._5A/page1.html
Old 08-19-2012, 08:14 AM   #12
sebastianmichael
The Optimist

A 'Must Read'

Meanwhile, a fascinating new review by Blogger Courtney Baumann, who holds back on awarding stars, but nevertheless says "you must read this book":

http://www.baumanbookreviews.com/201...n-michael.html

(I suppose that teaches one to take star ratings with a pinch of salt...)
Old 09-03-2012, 07:09 AM   #13
sebastianmichael
The Optimist

Price Alignment

Happy to report that Angel is now available on all major platforms (Amazon Kindle, Apple iBookstore, Barnes & Noble Nook and Kobo) and certainly the UK price seems to have aligned itself at £1.99 / £2.00 respectively. How exactly this expresses itself on the US and European sites I'm not sure, but it's good to know that no matter what reading device you use, you can now download Angel for less than a decent cappuccino...
Old 09-25-2012, 08:58 AM   #14
sebastianmichael
The Optimist

This is really cross-referencing, in case anyone is interested:

If you are based in New York City, or happen to be there towards the end of October, my first feature film as a writer/director, The Hour of Living, is in the official selection of the NYC Independent Film Festival. The screening takes place on Saturday, 20th October, 11:30am at the Producers' Club, 358 west 44th street. Full details are at http://www.thehourofliving.com. And I'm hoping to be there myself, of course...

Sebastian
Old 09-25-2012, 07:33 PM   #15
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post

Sorry.
I feel the opposite way. I'm getting it.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beauty, boyhood, coming of age, growing up, identity