Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-28-2020, 04:16 PM   #256
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
A case can help with protection but you hardly need one to keep an ereader in working order.

And the comfort and ease holding an ereader is highly subjective, which rules out “needing” a case for this.

There are more than a few people who don’t use a case and have no issues. Something that’s been pointed out many times over.
I used a case on my Kindle until the past year of so. I gave it to my wife as her case broke and I prefer no case.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
just_jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 04:18 PM   #257
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Do you sideload to your Kindle using Calibre? If so, Kobo plays much nicer than Kindle.

I don't think Kindles are bad devices. But if you aren't buying your books from Amazon, I don't see the appeal of Kindle (maybe the dictionary).

I use a Clara, not a Libra and mine is always in a sleep cover. But if the back starts to get dirty, likely an old dry toothbrush would do a good enough job, if you got to it early enough.
I sideload using Calibre. I just started with a Sony eReader and then switched to Kindle well before Kobo was around and just never changed.

Old 06-28-2020, 04:30 PM   #258
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You need a ase for making the Kobo easier to hold and for some protection.
You might, but I certainly don't.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 08:00 PM   #259
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_jeepin View Post
One question... do those bumps on the back get filled with dirt, dust & grime? If so, can you clean it easily? I'm guessing since it's waterproof I could just run water over it and maybe use an old toothbrush if it got dirty.
I usually just brush off specks of dirt with my hand. I normally use the Libra at home, in the office or in a car so not particularly dusty.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 09:19 PM   #260
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Looks better.
That must be why in all the product photos, they always show their readers in cases.

Have you ever looked at the Bookeen Saga? Now there's a reader designed for you! The case is literally built in to the reader.

I joke. But if I could find one for $50, I'd buy one.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 06-28-2020 at 09:22 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:53 AM   #261
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
That must be why in all the product photos, they always show their readers in cases.

Have you ever looked at the Bookeen Saga? Now there's a reader designed for you! The case is literally built in to the reader.

I joke. But if I could find one for $50, I'd buy one.
Last time I looked into Bookeen, they would not sell in the US. Besides, I don't like the Saga.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 11:21 AM   #262
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Last time I looked into Bookeen, they would not sell in the US. Besides, I don't like the Saga.
Well, I just checked the Bookeen site, and it looks like they will sell to the US, but they want to charge 127 euros for economy shipping and 172 for priority shipping. This brings the price of the reader up to 257 euros (somewhere around 290 US dollars).

Holy crap.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 01:05 PM   #263
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
I'm a longtime Kindle owner who doesn't use the official Kindle Store and am thinking of switching from the 2nd generation Paperwhite to a Kobo Libra H2O.

One question... do those bumps on the back get filled with dirt, dust & grime? If so, can you clean it easily? I'm guessing since it's waterproof I could just run water over it and maybe use an old toothbrush if it got dirty.

Unless you enjoy reading while mud wrestling, it's a non-issue IMHO. And as far as case or no case, that, of course, is all a matter of personal preference. As someone who has always used a cover on my ereaders, I have found the ergonomics of the Libra and Forma to be exceptionally comfortable and lightweight without a cover.

A more important consideration is the ability to customize a Kobo. The possibilities are many, thanks to the brilliant and generous people here on MR.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 05:55 PM   #264
just_jeepin
Addict

I've decided to wait for a new model (hopefully with usb C) but did have a question based upon many posts I've seen... why is everyone always asking for firmware images? Are they trying to apply hacks and mess things up?

Old 11-29-2020, 06:04 PM   #265
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I've decided to wait for a new model (hopefully with usb C) but did have a question based upon many posts I've seen... why is everyone always asking for firmware images? Are they trying to apply hacks and mess things up?

Because they bricked their Kobo somehow or the SD card failed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 12:36 PM   #266
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:

Because they're straying far away from the normal day-to-day intended usage of the device, installing hacks, etc... if you're just reading and using it as designed, you won't have any such problems. At least with Kobo you can recover from such a dramatic mess-up.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 12:47 PM   #267
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Because they're straying far away from the normal day-to-day intended usage of the device, installing hacks, etc...
Actually there are people who've had their SD card develop faults, and on the old Kobo WiFi there was an OTA upgrade that for some reason caused corruption of something resulting in the inability to read any content.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 02:55 PM   #268
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
I'd still argue that it's nothing to worry about for somebody looking to buy a new device.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:06 PM   #269
Sou Suzumi
Sou Suzumi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 4
Because Kobos aren't sold in my country, while Kindles are.
Sou Suzumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 11:08 PM   #270
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I'd still argue that it's nothing to worry about for somebody looking to buy a new device.
I agree. The number of requests is not that high compared to the actual devices out there. And, I'm fairly sure that a lot of the requests for images could be fixed by doing a factory reset properly.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote