Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-14-2015, 04:30 PM   #1
morgan44
morgan44 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Cool Arabic support E-ink reader.

Hello everyone,

For a long time I am looking for e-ink reader that really support Arabic. Till now I have just seen two models, Pocketbook Pro 902 and 903. Would you please help me find other or all models that support Arabic, then I could choose the best for me? Of course I don't mean Arabic for the Interface, I don't care about this. What is really important is reading and dealing with Arabic font like English as in Kindle or others.

I really appreciate it and thanks in advance.

Greetings,
M.
morgan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 05:47 PM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan44 View Post
For a long time I am looking for e-ink reader that really support Arabic. Till now I have just seen two models, Pocketbook Pro 902 and 903.
The last time I checked, Pocketbooks only supported Arabic text without vowel signs and very few eInk readers fully support RTL text.

Quote:
What is really important is reading and dealing with Arabic font like English as in Kindle or others.
Kindles actually support Arabic, but the default fallback font that Amazon has selected is somewhat difficult to read and has problems with the placement of some of the diacritics as you can see in the screenshot. If you can live with the ugly font and don't mind converting all your epubs to AZW3 files with Calibre, a Kindle might be a good choice.

(The epub source file that I used can be downloaded here.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle_RTL_Default_Font.png
Views:	947
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	142855  
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 11:37 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
For a long time I am looking for e-ink reader that really support Arabic. Till now I have just seen two models, Pocketbook Pro 902 and 903. Would you please help me find other or all models that support Arabic, then I could choose the best for me? Of course I don't mean Arabic for the Interface, I don't care about this. What is really important is reading and dealing with Arabic font like English as in Kindle or others.
The Kobo devices do a good job of displaying Arabic. They don't come with an Arabic font, but one can be easily added. Or they can use embedded fonts, which is the case of the test book that Doitsu posted.

I have attached two screenshots from my Glo HD. "ArabicTest-epub.png" is treating the book as an epub and using the Adobe RMSDK based reader. "ArabicTest-kepub.png" is using the ACCESS based reader. This is used for books downloaded directly from the Kobo web site, but we can also sideload books in a way that will use it. This reader also handles epub 3.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ArabicTest-epub.png
Views:	815
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	142856   Click image for larger version

Name:	ArabicTest-kepub.png
Views:	845
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	142857  
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:37 AM   #4
morgan44

Thank you Doitsu and davidfor for your answers. I really appreciate it.

But till now I'm still really confused how to choose the suitable for me.

I also dropped Pocketbook an email, asking them their Arabic supporting models.
They replied, that all their models support Arabic. What I need is just to install the Arabic font in TTF format.
What do you think of what they said?

I still have a question. how is the E-ink reader with scanned PDF?
Old 10-15-2015, 10:19 AM   #5
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I also dropped Pocketbook an email, asking them their Arabic supporting models. They replied, that all their models support Arabic. What I need is just to install the Arabic font in TTF format.
What do you think of what they said?
That may be true for all currently available models, but some older models don't support Arabic. For more information see this thread.

Quote:
I still have a question. how is the E-ink reader with scanned PDF?
Many e-Ink readers have lousy PDF apps. I definitely can't recommend the Kindle PDF app.
You may want to get a tablet, if you have lots of Arabic .pdf files.

BTW, there's a hardware agnostic app with RTL support that allows you to reformat .pdf files for e-Ink devices: k2pdfopt.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:53 AM   #6
morgan44

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
That may be true for all currently available models, but some older models don't support Arabic. For more information see this thread.

Many e-Ink readers have lousy PDF apps. I definitely can't recommend the Kindle PDF app.
You may want to get a tablet, if you have lots of Arabic .pdf files.

BTW, there's a hardware agnostic app with RTL support that allows you to reformat .pdf files for e-Ink devices: k2pdfopt.

Thank you again for the answer.
I will check the thread.

And for the tablet, I will start using it for reading till I find what I need.

I also checked the k2pdfopt app to see how the output file would look. A lot of the page was missed. Maybe I couldn't use it well, but I will give it another try.
Old 10-16-2015, 11:53 AM   #7
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
See following thread for Arabic support on newest PocketBook firmware
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=266062
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 01:06 PM   #8
morgan44

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
See following thread for Arabic support on newest PocketBook firmware
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=266062
Thank you. I will check it. ^^
Old 08-02-2017, 10:10 AM   #9
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice13 View Post
There is an android e-book reader inkBOOK Prime, that supports Arabic - not only Arabic interface but also Arabic e-books, right to left, also supports tashkeel special characters if the ebook is made correctly in EPUB-3.
If you own this model, can you please take some screenshots that show the Arabic GUI and an Arabic book?