Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-09-2009, 11:58 PM   #1
cmumford
Connoisseur
cmumford began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Will the aluminum back be cold?

As a PRS-500 owner before the Kindle and the one thing I noticed when reading in bed at night was how *cold* the reader became with it's metal case. That was a huge improvement when I switched to the Kindle 1. I'm wondering if the aluminum back of the Kindle 2 will be cold. What do you think?
cmumford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:00 AM   #2
StanDaMan
Connoisseur
StanDaMan began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
If it was cold before, chances are you'll find it cold again.
StanDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2009, 01:15 AM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
you can always buy a case or skin for it
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:39 AM   #4
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I imagine it will probably be cool to the touch. As was mentioned a new skin or case would fix that right up, and it's a good way to customize the look of the Kindle anyway.
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:17 AM   #5
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
If it is anything like the iPhone with its aluminum back, my guess is that it will be cold to touch in the beginning, but quickly absorb the heat from your hands. I personally don't mind the touch of aluminum compared to the touch of plastic.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2009, 08:33 AM   #6
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I ordered a gel skin for my K2 because of the back plus I would probably read with it in the case most of the time.

I strongly dislike holding metal objects for long periods because of the temperature difference, winter too cold, summer too hot but of all the metals aluminum is probably the least objectionable to me.

Plus metal is slippery and with my arthritic hands that means disaster.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:46 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmumford View Post
As a PRS-500 owner before the Kindle and the one thing I noticed when reading in bed at night was how *cold* the reader became with it's metal case. That was a huge improvement when I switched to the Kindle 1. I'm wondering if the aluminum back of the Kindle 2 will be cold. What do you think?
There is no difference in the temperature of the device, whether made of metal or plastic. The only difference is that a metal device has a higher thermal conductivity and hence, if it is at a lower temperature than your body, will extract more heat from your fingers. It is not the machine that gets "cold", but your fingers. The actual machine will end up warmer as a result, because you're heating it up!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:26 PM   #8
TwiSteDCBloSsoM
Enthusiast
TwiSteDCBloSsoM doesn't litterTwiSteDCBloSsoM doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
When you first pick up the device it will more than likely be a bit cold. It's just like an ipod with the metal back and all.
The sony 505 also is made of metal so the device is a bit cold but after handling it for a while it's nice and warm.
TwiSteDCBloSsoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:28 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you get a case for the K2, then when reading from the K2, you'll be feeling the case and not the metal on the back. So it won't really matter much how cold it gets because it won't get cold enough to feel the cold through the case especially if the case folds back.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:20 PM   #10
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
I'm more concerned with slipperiness than with temperature. How much texture/grip do the third-party skins have?
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:25 PM   #11
europas_ice
Groupie
europas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't litter

Device: iPhone 11 (Kindle app & iBooks)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There is no difference in the temperature of the device, whether made of metal or plastic. The only difference is that a metal device has a higher thermal conductivity and hence, if it is at a lower temperature than your body, will extract more heat from your fingers. It is not the machine that gets "cold", but your fingers. The actual machine will end up warmer as a result, because you're heating it up!
LOL, that sounds like a physicist talking! I suppose it takes one to know one. As you well know, you are of course right, but the poor people who think it's cold aren't going to find your correctness comforting.
europas_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:49 PM   #12
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by europas_ice View Post
LOL, that sounds like a physicist talking! I suppose it takes one to know one. As you well know, you are of course right, but the poor people who think it's cold aren't going to find your correctness comforting.
Maybe not, but this OTHER science type (me) just gave him karma cause I liked the explanation. So there's something for all of us.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:20 PM   #13
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Perhaps a little skivvy/jumpa/turtleneck for the Kindle is required. Know anyone who knits? Could look kind of cute
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:23 PM   #14
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
Perhaps a little skivvy/jumpa/turtleneck for the Kindle is required. Know anyone who knits? Could look kind of cute
I do. You aren't the first person to mention this. Hrmm...
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:23 PM   #15
ahintz
Zealot
ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle PW/iPhone5/iPad (3)/Nook ST
If it is anything like my aluminum MacBook Pro, then it will definitely feel cool - at least initially. When I first turn on my MBP and sit it on my lap in the morning, it feels pretty cool to the touch. Of course, as it is a computer, it warms up pretty quickly when on. I would guess just holding onto the Kindle 2 for a few minutes should be enough to equalize the temps between your hands and the Kindle back
ahintz is offline   Reply With Quote