Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-13-2021, 12:49 AM   #1
blackxacto
Enthusiast
blackxacto began at the beginning.

Device: iMac 10,1, OSX10.9
Smile Newbie query - Mac User

I opened an ebook in Calibre for Mac. I only wanted to change the cover. I did that successfully, but after OKing the new cover w OK, I thought I must reformat as ebook. Don't ask me why I thought this. Anyway, when I formatted, I lost all the old Note hilighting I had made in the previous ebook.

My question is once I successfully change the cover with OK, is that it? Do I just take the ebook from my Calibre user folder and place in whatever app I use to view ebooks? Would this have maintained my old hilighting?
blackxacto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 12:52 AM   #2
blackxacto
Enthusiast

Oh, I remember. I saw the new jpg cover w the metadata book file in my user folder, but I didn't know how to combine them into a single ebook file without converting. So how do I get the data and cover back into one ebook file on a Mac without having to convert it to ebook file.?
Advert
Old 04-13-2021, 04:01 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
IMHO do not convert (just for this) as it may introduce other changes
Use one of the other tools:

Embed metadata, Polish (be sure to review the settings as this can do other cleanup) or Modify EPUB (a plugin)
Each has its strong points.
BTW Using Calibre to send to ... updates the sent copy on the fly without touching the Library copy

The cover.jpeg you see (and you do not really need to even be there, beneath the skirts. Calibre Delivers without you knowing where it has been filed) is what is shown in the details pane.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 06:16 PM   #4
blackxacto
Enthusiast

Thank you for your help. Appreciate you.
Old 04-16-2021, 01:55 AM   #5
blackxacto
Enthusiast

Still confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
IMHO do not convert (just for this) as it may introduce other changes
Use one of the other tools:

Embed metadata, Polish (be sure to review the settings as this can do other cleanup) or Modify EPUB (a plugin)
Each has its strong points.
BTW Using Calibre to send to ... updates the sent copy on the fly without touching the Library copy

The cover.jpeg you see (and you do not really need to even be there, beneath the skirts. Calibre Delivers without you knowing where it has been filed) is what is shown in the details pane.
I found that the only way i could end up with one epub file w the new cover was to convert to epub file AFTER i replaced the cover in edit metadata individually. Is there any other way? I only want to wind up w 1 epub file w correct cover. However, Converting erased all my text hi-liting i had done to remember specific points.
Advert
Old 04-16-2021, 12:56 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackxacto View Post
I found that the only way i could end up with one epub file w the new cover was to convert to epub file AFTER i replaced the cover in edit metadata individually. Is there any other way? I only want to wind up w 1 epub file w correct cover. However, Converting erased all my text hi-liting i had done to remember specific points.
You can try Embed Metadata, Polish or Modify Epub (plugin) to update the epub file without having to do a conversion.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 06:23 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The Polish Books and Embed Metadata tools are not in the default toolbars or menus. So, you need to add them via Preferences->Toolbars & menus, or press 'P' for Polish Books, Embed Metadata doesn't have a keyboard shortcut unless you give it one.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 01:34 AM   #8
blackxacto
Enthusiast

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
The Polish Books and Embed Metadata tools are not in the default toolbars or menus. So, you need to add them via Preferences->Toolbars & menus, or press 'P' for Polish Books, Embed Metadata doesn't have a keyboard shortcut unless you give it one.

BR
I did it. I actually added Polish and Embed Metadata to my top menu, and used Edit Metadata Individually to change the cover of an epub book. Used Polish to ONLY add the new cover. The saved to disk. That produced a folder which included the new epub cover book. I can drag this into Books app. Works great. Took awhile to add the Polish etc, correctly. But click enough OK buttons and ready set GO! Thanks for your help with this, guy's.

Last edited by blackxacto; 04-23-2021 at 02:33 AM. Reason: Got my solution.
Old 04-23-2021, 03:32 AM   #9
blackxacto
Enthusiast

Oh oh, the ebook I added a cover to successfully will not save out of calibre as a new epub without changing the formatting and new cover. I keep getting a folder of the accompanying correct jpg, but the epub does not have the correct cover inside this folder. Could it be that there is some sort of protection I can't change?