Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-02-2019, 03:28 PM   #1
bounce
Zealot
bounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Ipad, Kindle 7
Latest Kindle paperwhite dark mode question

On the latest entry model Kindle, in dark mode, is it possible to adjust the color tone of the text to off-white/sepia?
Is there anything different about the screen/lighting that makes it less blue-toned in day mode?

I have the first gen Paperwhite, but have been doing most of my reading with margin note on iPad lately.
bounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 10:37 PM   #2
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
E-ink screens can't change color the way your Ipad can. Some models of Kobo and Nook ereaders can change the color of the front light but I'm not sure how close they'll get to sepia and that probably won't have too great an effect on the background if text is reversed. I don't think they'll let you reverse the text, although I'm not sure of that.

I used the Kindle app on my Ipad the other day for the first time because I had a book with a handwritten document reproduced as an image within the text and I couldn't read it on my Kindle or my phone and it was an important part of the story. I installed the Kindle app on my Ipad and I was able to read it there with no problem. On the Kindle it was either too small or too grainy.

Anyway after I did this I tried reading some more on the Ipad and I found it to be too heavy and much harder on my eyes than the Kindle.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2019, 07:01 AM   #3
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Sunglasses work.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 09:02 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce View Post
On the latest entry model Kindle, in dark mode, is it possible to adjust the color tone of the text to off-white/sepia?
Is there anything different about the screen/lighting that makes it less blue-toned in day mode?

I have the first gen Paperwhite, but have been doing most of my reading with margin note on iPad lately.
To answer your question, the entry level Kindle does not have dark mode. The latest Oasis and Paperwhite models have a setting called Reverse black and white but there’s no color shift to the front light itself.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:14 PM   #5
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
If by entry-level kindle you mean the cheapest one, that one doesn't have any lighting. Even the more expensive kindles do not yet have blue light reduction. You might want to look at the Kobo line for that.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2019, 09:19 AM   #6
bounce
Zealot
bounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Ipad, Kindle 7
Ahh thanks @tomsem that’s what I was looking to know. I have the older model Paperwhite and forgot there is a model below.

Cheers @bookcat I’m going to look into the new Kobos.
bounce is offline   Reply With Quote