AlisaP has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: none
New here - LOVE Calibre. Same issue happened today
AlisaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:14 PM   #17
Mireille005
Mireille005 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad and Laptop
I have the same error as of today, but I haven't got a mention of an update by MS. I am a bit glad I am not the only one. I did update Calibre portable to v3.31 and even tried downloading metadata on a book I have updated yesterday. This is now not working.

(Update) Error: 'Metadata download failed'. Details:
Code:
calibre, version 3.31.0
FOUT: Download mislukt: Metadata downloaden mislukt. Klik op ‘Toon details’ voor meer informatie

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\simple_worker.py", line 289, in main
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\worker.py", line 102, in single_identify
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\update.py", line 79, in patch_plugins
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\update.py", line 62, in patch_search_engines
  File "<string>", line 11, in <module>
ImportError: No module named polyglot.builtins

Last edited by Mireille005; 09-10-2018 at 02:21 PM. Reason: added details
Mireille005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2018, 02:18 PM   #18
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Problem is, it's happening in Linux too (see message #9)
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:24 PM   #19
Mireille005

I copied details from Calibre to paste here just now. When I closed the program I got an error as well.

Code:
calibre, version 3.31.0
FOUT: Niet afgehandelde fout: <b>ConnectionClosedError</b>:The connection has been closed

calibre 3.31 Portable embedded-python: True is64bit: False
Windows-10-10.0.17134-SP0 Windows ('32bit', 'WindowsPE')
32bit process running on 64bit windows
('Windows', '10', '10.0.17134')
Python 2.7.12+
Windows: ('10', '10.0.17134', 'SP0', u'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: nl
Successfully initialized third party plugins: Favourites Menu (1, 0, 4) && catawiki (0, 0, 2) && BOL_NL (3, 8, 21) && Author Book Count Hierarchy (1, 1, 8) && MultiColumnSearch (1, 0, 74) && Find Duplicates (1, 6, 3) && Author Book Count (2, 1, 5) && Embed Comic Metadata (1, 3, 8) && Barnes & Noble (1, 2, 15) && ANOBII (0, 4, 3) && Goodreads Sync (1, 12, 0) && Manage Series (1, 2, 8) && Amazon.com Multiple Countries (1, 0, 0) && Consolidate All Library Metadata (2, 0, 32) && Goodreads (1, 1, 14)
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\ui.py", line 1042, in closeEvent
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\ui.py", line 903, in write_settings
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\init.py", line 764, in save_layout_state
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\library\views.py", line 630, in save_state
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\library\views.py", line 624, in write_state
  File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 63, in call_func_with_lock
  File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 617, in set_pref
  File "site-packages\calibre\db\backend.py", line 133, in set
  File "site-packages\calibre\db\backend.py", line 130, in __setitem__
ConnectionClosedError: The connection has been closed
Old 09-10-2018, 02:36 PM   #20
sammayor
Enthusiast
sammayor doesn't feed trollssammayor doesn't feed trollssammayor doesn't feed trollssammayor doesn't feed trollssammayor doesn't feed trollssammayor doesn't feed trollssammayor doesn't feed trollssammayor doesn't feed trollssammayor doesn't feed trollssammayor doesn't feed trollssammayor doesn't feed trolls

Device: KPW3
Same error with 3.31 calibre on Windows 10 64 bit. Custom metadata source like Goodreads doesn't work either.
sammayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2018, 02:41 PM   #21
pookiebr
Connoisseur
pookiebr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pookiebr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pookiebr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pookiebr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pookiebr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pookiebr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pookiebr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pookiebr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pookiebr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pookiebr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pookiebr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am unable to download metadata as well and my trouble also started this morning [9/10]. This is the message I get.

File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\worker.py ", line 102, in single_identify
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\update.py ", line 79, in patch_plugins
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\update.py ", line 62, in patch_search_engines

Using v3.31 and windows 64bit
pookiebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:47 PM   #22
MCBastos
Enthusiast
MCBastos began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy A71
Same problem here. Calibre 64bit, Windows 10 Pro 1803. Updated to 3.31 this morning. Worked normally. Then I tried pulling some metadata. Errors exactly as described above... with a small extra detail:
The problem began literally in the middle of a metadata search. It pulled the text metadata fine, but then got the error in the cover search part. From that point forward, all metadata searches failed the same way.
I checked all the usual suspects -- repaired Calibre, downgraded Calibre to 3.30, cleared the temp folder, rebooted the machine, rebooted my Internet connection, temporarily disabled my antivirus, disabled metadata search plugins -- no luck.

calibre, version 3.31.0
ERROR: Download failed: Failed to download metadata. Click Show Details to see details

File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\worker.py ", line 102, in single_identify
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\update.py ", line 79, in patch_plugins
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\update.py ", line 62, in patch_search_engines

Last edited by MCBastos; 09-10-2018 at 02:49 PM.
MCBastos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 03:08 PM   #23
random26
random26 began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7
Agh, just uninstalled and reinstalled it a couple times before I came here and saw this thread. I'm having the same problem.

Starting job: Download metadata for one book
Job: "Download metadata for one book" failed with error:
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\threaded_jobs.py", line 84, in start_work
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\metadata\bulk_download.py", line 255, in download
Exception: Failed to download metadata. Original traceback:

File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\worker.py ", line 55, in main

Called with args: ([14463], u'C:\\Users\\Ron\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\calibre_0k wq3k\\gy9tz2_metadata_bulk.log', <calibre.db.legacy.LibraryDatabase object at 0x0000027CE397A668>, True, True, None) {u'abort': <threading._Event object at 0x0000027CE2EC56D8>, u'log': <calibre.utils.logging.GUILog object at 0x0000027CE8684BA8>, u'notifications': <Queue.Queue instance at 0x0000027CE12FBC88>}
random26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 03:17 PM   #24
Mireille005

A line that seems to come by frequently is "polyglot.builtins"
I read somewhere that someone had a problem downloading covers with non-builtin plugins. Maybe this is a problem with one of the builtin plugins? Don't know which one yet, but the problem is much wider than my install. (I thought the second library I made yesterday was causing the problem)

Anyone a thought as to the cause of our predicament?
Old 09-10-2018, 03:24 PM   #25
JanSH
JanSH began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
User gbm posted a solution that works perfectly (for me) in a similar thread under "Library Management"

Link: Download metadata problem
JanSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 03:35 PM   #26
GalacticHull
Enthusiast
GalacticHull began at the beginning.

Device: kobo h2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanSH View Post
User gbm posted a solution that works perfectly (for me) in a similar thread under "Library Management"

Link: Download metadata problem
This seems to work. Though the file did re-appear on one occasion without closing Calibre. Strange stuff.
GalacticHull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 03:49 PM   #27
Laptop_Librarian
Laptop_Librarian began at the beginning.

I've been having the same problem all day today myself, and while deleting metadata-sources-cache.json sounds like a good idea, what happens if I do decide to close Calibre? Do I have to totally redo my library when I open it again?
Laptop_Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 03:49 PM   #28
gescher
gescher began at the beginning.

same problem here, since today (10 sept 2018)
error message for download cover or download metadate identical :
calibre, version 3.31.0
ERROR: Download failed: Failed to download metadata. Click Show Details to see details

using Win10, surface4 pro
gescher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 03:57 PM   #29
JanSH
JanSH began at the beginning.

There are at least 5 threads about this issue on the forum today. So I would guess this is a quite urgent issue that will be fixed soon.

It works fine for me while I keep Calibre open (which I do anyway).
JanSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 04:03 PM   #30
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanSH View Post
So I would guess this is a quite urgent issue that will be fixed soon.
Yes, but bear in mind that the only person who can fix this is Kovid Goyal who lives in India where it's currently the middle of the night. So let's keep expectations realistic
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote