Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 10-02-2011, 08:44 AM   #1
Schuyler
Schuyler began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Hello, and directions, please

OK, so I joined to address a pretty specific question, and I'm intimidated by the forums and don't know where to post.

I was lured into ebooks in 2005 when I carried the old Palm Treo. The software of choice was eReader Pro. I have stuck with this software simply because of scrolling text. This is a deal breaker for me. I'm a fast reader, and I have been known to read covertly in staff meetings. With eReader Pro, I can fire up a book on my phone, hold the phone in my lap, and appear contemplative while ignoring the topic du jour.

The software still works perfectly if you buy books through the website, but that's a non-starter. Overpriced and limited selection. I use Calibre to convert books to PDB format and then use the "Personal Content" section of the ereader website to transfer them to the phone. I cannot find any way to fix the metadata, though. I'm not fussy about chapters and links and such, but an author designation would make a world of difference. At present, I can title the book with anything I want, but not matter what Calibre says, once the book is on the phone, the author shows as Personal Content.

I have lots of books, and being able to sort by author would be such a relief. And I wouldn't kick too much about being able to have cover art.

Am I being impossible? I don't want to carry another device, I need scrolling, and I'd like to have metadata. Sniff!

Thanks,
Schuyler
Schuyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:12 AM   #2
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Hi and welcome to MR!

I still own a Palm Treo 650, although I am not using it as a PA since I got my touch, and sice I got my first dedicated ebook reader, some years ago. It is a lovely machine. It still has the best calendar ever.

To make my own books, from whatever source, I used eReader Studio, that is still supported by eReader.com. I do not have it anymore on my current PC so i could not tell you exactly how it handles metadata. But it did as I could navigate through my collection quite easily. Let me know, will you? Just out of curiosity.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2011, 10:00 AM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Schuyler and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:47 AM   #4
joycedb
Guru
joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
No help here. Just hello and welcome to MR. Enjoy.

Joyce
joycedb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:57 AM   #5
Schuyler
Schuyler began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Thanks, Beppe-
I actually bought the eBook Studio hoping it might do the trick. It doesn't. First you have to convert the file to txt, then it takes HOURS to import it into the software, and then it is very buggy. I could not get a single book to work properly.

Is there a forum section that might have experts?
Schuyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2011, 01:17 PM   #6
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuyler View Post
Thanks, Beppe-
I actually bought the eBook Studio hoping it might do the trick. It doesn't. First you have to convert the file to txt, then it takes HOURS to import it into the software, and then it is very buggy. I could not get a single book to work properly.

Is there a forum section that might have experts?

I made a search here and got many posts that contained the word TREO. that could be a starting point.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 03:08 PM   #7
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
Hello and welcome to MR!

Imogen
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote