Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 11-09-2018, 12:59 AM   #121
MargretMinette
MargretMinette began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Unhappy Problem installing the KFX Input plugin

I'm having trouble installing the KFX Input plugin. I had it installed and working nicely, but when I got the latest Calibre update it said there was also a plugin update, so I tried to get it, but when it tried to install the plugin Calibre said that it had encountered a problem and proceeded to uninstall the plugin I already had! When I tried to reinstall the previous version I ran into the same problem installing. This is the log:

calibre, version 3.33.1
ERROR: Install plugin failed: A problem occurred while installing this plugin. This plugin will now be uninstalled. Please post the error message in details below into the forum thread for this plugin and restart calibre.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\dialogs\plugin_updater.py", line 733, in _install_clicked
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\preferences\plugins.py", line 416, in check_for_add_to_toolbars
ZipImportError: bad local file header: C:\Program Files\Calibre2\app\pylib.zip
__________________________________________________ ____________

I tried downloading the current version and installing manually, and got the same error message, so I can now import Kindle books only with the 32-bit version of Calibre (this was the 64-bit update that I just installed), which DOES still have the earlier version of the plugin.

This seems to me like it may be a bug in Calibre, but I'm still in Calibre 3.3.1 because I wasn't ready to restart my computer, and I had managed to install this before quite nicely, so I have no idea where this is coming from.

My OS is Windows 7 Professional (i.e. 64-bit Win 7) and the computer is a Dell Inspiron 15.

Last edited by MargretMinette; 11-09-2018 at 01:19 AM. Reason: To add OS and computer information.
MargretMinette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 04:41 AM   #122
readforever
readforever began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire
Hello. First of all let me thank for this thread. I bought a book a couple of days ago from Amazon and was trying to read it in Calibre (ver 3.31 I think). I had the kfx plugin installed which had worked nicely until then, but this time the book only showed KFX.ZIP as format and I couldn't read it nor convert into other format. Then I followed the suggestion to update, so now I have Calibre 3.34 and KFX plugin 1.9 but still I cannot read nor convert. Sorry for sounding dumb or if my problem has already been answered. Can you please point me to the right direction? Thank you.

P.S. - I'm not sure if this is important: I got the book from kindle unlimited (but previously this didn't make any difference), while another one that I bought last week has been successfully imported and converted.

Last edited by readforever; 11-09-2018 at 04:48 AM.
readforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2018, 07:54 AM   #123
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by MargretMinette View Post
calibre, version 3.33.1
ERROR: Install plugin failed: A problem occurred while installing this plugin. This plugin will now be uninstalled. Please post the error message in details below into the forum thread for this plugin and restart calibre.
This seems to me like it may be a bug in Calibre, but I'm still in Calibre 3.3.1 because I wasn't ready to restart my computer, and I had managed to install this before quite nicely, so I have no idea where this is coming from.
I recommend updating to the latest version of calibre, restarting your computer, and re-downloading and re-installing the plugin.

If the problem persists after that then report it again.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 07:55 AM   #124
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by readforever View Post
P.S. - I'm not sure if this is important: I got the book from kindle unlimited (but previously this didn't make any difference), while another one that I bought last week has been successfully imported and converted.
The DeDRM Tools will only work with purchased books when using KFX format. Books from Kindle Unlimited cannot be processed.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:37 PM   #125
readforever
readforever began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
The DeDRM Tools will only work with purchased books when using KFX format. Books from Kindle Unlimited cannot be processed.
Ok thanks, but just to understand, does that mean that the ones I converted from Unlimited before didn't have the KFX format? I'm speaking about a span of several months until a few weeks ago.
readforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2018, 05:59 PM   #126
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by readforever View Post
Ok thanks, but just to understand, does that mean that the ones I converted from Unlimited before didn't have the KFX format? I'm speaking about a span of several months until a few weeks ago.
You would not be able to convert a Kindle Unlimited book from KFX format, so those prior books must not have been KFX or not Kindle Unlimited.
Old 11-09-2018, 06:46 PM   #127
MargretMinette
MargretMinette began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I recommend updating to the latest version of calibre, restarting your computer, and re-downloading and re-installing the plugin.

If the problem persists after that then report it again.
Thank you! That took care of it!
MargretMinette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:19 AM   #128
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Version 1.10.0 - 11 Nov 2018

Allow books in KFX format to be imported from a Kindle using the device view. Calibre (version 2.80 or higher) will no longer treat KFX as a "virtual format" when this plugin is installed.

Improve handling of properties that combine several others in an equivalent shorthand. (Fixes "ERROR: Setting conflicting property: border-top-style...".)

Support additional KFX features. (Fixes "ERROR: Unknown com.amazon.yjconversion feature: reflow-style-11".)
Old 11-18-2018, 01:10 AM   #129
TheBestPessimist
TheBestPessimist began at the beginning.

Device: Moon+ Reader
Just want to confirm that v 1.10 fixes the problem i had with my book (reported in #116). Thank you very much
TheBestPessimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 09:43 AM   #130
emmsee51
emmsee51 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5.9.7
G'day from Down Under,
Longtime Paperwhite and Calibre user.
Have Lee Childs latest novel (5/Nov/18) and it's in KFX-ZIP format and Alf's plugin does not remove DRM and I cannot convert with yours.
Any clues?
cheers
emmsee
emmsee51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:05 AM   #131
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmsee51 View Post
Have Lee Childs latest novel (5/Nov/18) and it's in KFX-ZIP format and Alf's plugin does not remove DRM and I cannot convert with yours.
This plugin can only convert files that do not contain DRM so you will need to solve that problem before attempting conversion.

Ask for help at either Apprentice Alf's blog or Apprentice Harper's GitHub. Help with DRM removal is not allowed to be provided on MobileRead.
Old 12-01-2018, 05:56 AM   #132
Arilando
Arilando began at the beginning.

Device: PC
What is the optimal way to convert this format to PDF? I intend to read on my PC. The results i'm getting currently are quite poor. The text is way too small so i need to zoom in quite a bit which spreads the text out the sides of my screen, which is not comfortable.
Arilando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 10:48 AM   #133
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arilando View Post
What is the optimal way to convert this format to PDF? I intend to read on my PC. The results i'm getting currently are quite poor. The text is way too small so i need to zoom in quite a bit which spreads the text out the sides of my screen, which is not comfortable.
This plugin handles conversion from KFX to an intermediate format. Conversion from that to PDF is handled by a separate built-in plugin in calibre.

You will have to experiment to find the conversion settings that work best for you. The PDF page size you select is a major factor. See Converting to PDF in the calibre user manual for more information.
Old 12-03-2018, 04:17 AM   #134
Qualitpet
Qualitpet began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Unexpected Ion symbols used: $760, $761

calibre, version 3.34.0
ERROR: KFX conversion failed: Unexpected Ion symbols used: $760, $761

Any chance to fix this?
Qualitpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:49 AM   #135
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qualitpet View Post
calibre, version 3.34.0
ERROR: KFX conversion failed: Unexpected Ion symbols used: $760, $761

Any chance to fix this?
Thanks for the report. Amazon continues to add new features to KFX. That error means that the book being converted contains KFX content that I have not encountered so far.

In order to support that I will need to know what book you were converting. Posting the log from the conversion (in spoiler tags) would also be helpful.

I was able to see this for myself in a new book. It will be fixed in the next plugin release.

Last edited by jhowell; 12-03-2018 at 10:05 AM.