Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 01-06-2011, 02:15 AM   #1
pat.indie
Edge User

Motorola Mobility hits ground running with Android 3.0 tablet

Motorola announces Android 3.0 tablet

Another article on MSNBC here...

Last edited by pat.indie; 01-06-2011 at 02:21 AM. Reason: Additions

Old 01-06-2011, 06:37 AM   #2
ShiningT1g3R
Edge User

Interesting, but I'm more worried about the "Oracle's Davlik vs. Google Android" lawsuit that's going in right now. Many people may not know about it yet, but it will certainly gain exposure throughout the year and could polarize people's reliance on Google's OS and other products if Oracle wins the copyright infringement case.

But I haven't given up on Notion Ink's Adam yet...

Advert
Old 01-06-2011, 09:02 AM   #3
borisb
Edge User

Note that Motorola also won't be able to actually ship Android 3.0 until it's released by Google later in the Spring... It's sort of like all the manufacturers last year that advertised their tablet would ship with Google Market and having later to retract that claim, although in this case Android 3.0 is a "sure thing" and will come out this year at some point.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:56 PM   #4
Chubulor
Edge User

The motorola tablet will have 3.0 before the Edge has 2.2. Bank on it.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:15 PM   #5
borisb
Edge User

It's remarkable the depth of insider knowledge you seem to have on not one, but *two*, companies...

Advert
Old 01-06-2011, 10:27 PM   #6
Chubulor
Edge User

If they were making good progress we would have heard about it by now. They did say they're going to release it for PE before the original EE, so that's a built in delay of a few months probably (assuming they don't release any other new devices in the mean time).

Old 01-06-2011, 11:43 PM   #7
alefor
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
It's remarkable the depth of insider knowledge you seem to have on not one, but *two*, companies...
I would be remiss if I did not comment on this as a dis-interested bystander. For you, "borisb" to make what can only be interpreted as a snide comment about "insider knowledge" is the height of absurdity. You make so many comments on this forum that can only be interpreted as "insider knowledge" to the (ridiculous) point where you add a (disingenuous) disclaimer that you don't work for Entourage as your signature on every one of your posts (please recall what Bill Clinton famously said on television when he denied something). When we look up "chutzpah" your picture is there as an explanation.

Last edited by alefor; 01-07-2011 at 12:32 AM.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:47 PM   #8
alefor
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubulor View Post
If they were making good progress we would have heard about it by now.
Just as with Apple, Entourage doesnt talk about new releases or products until they are released, or within a few days anyway (especially after they announced a "fall" release for Froyo that did not materialize). I have to disagree that we "would have heard about it by now". It's a nice thought, but it ain't gonna happen. That being said, I definitely agree with your initial premise, that Motorola will have 3.0 on their tablet before we see 2.2 (I would be very happy to "eat these words" if history proves me wrong)

Last edited by alefor; 01-07-2011 at 01:59 AM.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:09 AM   #9
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alefor View Post
I would be remiss if I did not comment on this as a dis-interested bystander. For you, "borisb" to make what can only be interpreted as a snide comment about "insider knowledge" is the height of absurdity. You make so many comments on this forum that can only be interpreted as "insider knowledge" to the (ridiculous) point where you add a (disingenuous) disclaimer that you don't work for Entourage as your signature on every one of your posts (please recall what Bill Clinton famously said on television when he denied something). When we look up "chutzpah" your picture is there as an explanation.
All comments I make in these forums are based on the information I've read here on these forums or published by enTourage on their website, facebook page and twitter feeds, and to a lesser extent information "leaked" (or rumoured) on other websites. I monitor all these sources of information 12 hours a day, every day, since January 1, 2010. This is not magic insider knowledge, it is merely a thorough collation of all publically disclosed knowledge together with a good sprinkle of confidence in enTourage. To those that pop into these forums a couple of times a week to read a few posts, this may indeed seem like magic

Last edited by borisb; 01-07-2011 at 09:17 AM.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:14 PM   #10
Chubulor
Edge User

I hope you're kidding about the 12 hours a day, boris. If not, that's even sadder than any other explanation.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:40 PM   #11
mphoseeko
Edge User

I am so tried of waiting for this company to do what they said. some of us think this edge is the best thing since sliced bread, how sad.
all we get is a run around from these people, the ship is sinking fast time to get off.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:57 PM   #12
alefor
Edge User

I guess I am trying to remain hopeful that we will see Android 2.2 in the not-too-distant future. I think it is important for you to voice your thoughts here. We need a range of opinions, that show the ability to think and analyze rather than simple reflex reactions that "this is a great device". I really like my eDGe devices, but I also know that we need software upgrades and ultimately we will probably need new hardware to run something like Android 3.0 in a speedy manner.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:24 PM   #13
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alefor View Post
ultimately we will probably need new hardware to run something like Android 3.0 in a speedy manner.
So your saying we'll likely need to spend another $500 this year for a new model just to keep up to date?

Old 01-13-2011, 07:25 PM   #14
alefor
Edge User

That would be my guess. If you want to stay up-to-date, it costs money. I imagine new hardware will be necessary to deal with the increasingly power-hungry features of future operating systems.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:44 PM   #15
Chubulor
Edge User

I think we're used to the PC world, where OSs requiring new hardware only come out once every 7-8 years.

In the Android world, that looks like it's going to be an annual event, probably due to the dominance of cell phones and a poor record of planning for hardware needs by everyone involved (Google and manufacturers).