Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-19-2011, 09:49 AM   #1
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
FlightCrew report about embedded font

Hi,

I just tried to embed Fontin font in a EPUB (joint file).

The file has been produced by Writer2xhtml, the embedding (using @Font-face) and drop-cap has been done using Sigil.

I checked the result with FlightCrew (see photo).

I know the middle remarks (about true-type) are not important.

I am puzzled by the fonts/Fonts remarks (see arrows). I feel a little like the small dog running after its tail. I'm sure the solution is round the corner. It's about f and F but which file am I supposed to modify and how?

I also do not understand the last remark about validator.

Any tip welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FlightCrew071.png
Views:	274
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	70174  
Attached Files
File Type: epub La Chinoise.epub (85.3 KB, 204 views)

Last edited by roger64; 04-19-2011 at 09:56 AM.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:59 AM   #2
cuthbert19
Enthusiast
cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Cybook Opus
The font path is case sensitive. What version of Sigil are you using? If you used Sigil, and only that, to embed the fonts, it sounds like a bug ...
cuthbert19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2011, 10:24 AM   #3
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuthbert19 View Post
The font path is case sensitive. What version of Sigil are you using? If you used Sigil, and only that, to embed the fonts, it sounds like a bug ...

I used Sigil to import the fonts, to complete the style-sheet with font-face and drop-cap texts, and to insert the drop-cap and that's all.

I still stick to the 0.24 version (Linux) which had been up to the task.

Writer2xhtml creates a Fonts folder. Sigil seems to expect a fonts folder? I will try with a Fonts folder...

I resumed all the process. I probably did a mistake in between because now it seems OK even if the end result is not specially nice, but this is another matter).Now, no more FlighCrew protest but slightly different displays with Sony, Firefox, Lucidor, calibre and Sigil even if "globally" Fontin is used.

Still something to learn...

Thanks for your help.
Attached Files
File Type: epub La ChinoiseV2.epub (85.1 KB, 206 views)

Last edited by roger64; 04-19-2011 at 10:50 AM.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:17 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Sigil's (normal) folder would be Fonts.

the path has a lowercase fonts in it.
Just edit the Paths shown that are pointed at in the Red section to use a capital F
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:27 AM   #5
roger64
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Sigil's (normal) folder would be Fonts.

the path has a lowercase fonts in it.
Just edit the Paths shown that are pointed at in the Red section to use a capital F
Thanks theducks, I did just that with V2. Now, I have no more errors reported with FlightCrew.
I looked this last file with five different e-readers
- Lucidor (best-looking)
- Calibre (OK but some mistakes)
- EpubReader (serious mistakes)
- Sigil 024 (mostly OK)
- ADE Windows (not nice, lots of mistakes and my Sony uses ADE...).

I took a screenshot of each of these five e-readers (down there). I think this is a puzzling result. How is it possible to get, with the same file, so many different results?

Which one am I supposed to trust?
Is this "normal"?
Attached Files
File Type: zip different displays.zip (138.5 KB, 220 views)

Last edited by roger64; 04-19-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Advert
Old 04-19-2011, 01:19 PM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
- ADE Windows (not nice, lots of mistakes and my Sony uses ADE...).
ADE (and Adobe-based readers) does not support small-caps, that's a known flaw. It might be possible to do something with embedded true smallcaps fonts, but I haven't tried it. The misalignment of the drop cap might be related with the default line-height (which, as far as I know, is unfortunately not 1, but typically unknown).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:05 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post

I took a screenshot of each of these five e-readers (down there). I think this is a puzzling result. How is it possible to get, with the same file, so many different results?

Which one am I supposed to trust?
Thanks for posting. I don't have some of those .

Wow!

epubreader and ADE presented the Dropcaps the same (wrong) (My PEz defaults to ADE), and yes, I have fought getting drop caps to place better with regard to the first line.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:17 PM   #8
roger64
Wizard

Thanks for your replies.

I did not know this small-caps defect for ADE. A pity.

For the drop-cap values, as I have no practical experience, I took the ones advised on the Sigil FAQ. . It's a first approach. These values have probably to be further adapted to the characteristics of each font.

So, for the time being, I learn that embedding is to be used with some economy of means. To stick with the basics, regular, italic, bold. Bold italic may be even too much.

I will try other fonts. TheSerif font is quite light and seems suitable for embedding. I have seen Minion which is quite nice but it's not a free font.

Many other fonts are really too heavy for this purpose.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:00 PM   #9
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
You should look at this thread. Some code for dropcaps is given there which will render rather well I believe.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote