Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-30-2010, 07:32 PM   #1
pf983
pf983 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Kindle 3G access in Vancouver

Can anyone share your Kindle 3G access experience in Vancouver or in Canada?

I just received my new Kindle 3 with 3G and WIFI access. WIFI works find. However, I am unable to access Kindle store or use browser with 3G. For Kindle store, it just stopped with a blank page and for browser access will timed out and got the error message "Your Kindle is unable to load the requested page.".

I called amazon's Kindle help line. They walked me through device reset and the 3-1-1 trick to switch telco service provider. We tried Telus 3G or Rogers 3G with no luck. Rogers 2G (i.e. EDGE) works fine. I have tried at my office in downtown and at home at Marople with the same result. I can confirm that 3G do available in these areas as I have both Rogers and Telus 3G Blackberry; for sure network coverage is not the issue, Kindle also show at least 3 bar in single strength.

Does anyone have better luck using 3G in Vancouver? Am I having a defective unit?

Thanks.
pf983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 11:02 PM   #2
psycholoner
Enthusiast
psycholoner began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
I'm around Vancouver and Burnaby, and I'm using a DXG. I was able to connect fine last week, but when I tried it yesterday, it ended up the same way as what you just mentioned (Blank screen for the shop, "not responding" for normal browsing). It still doesn't work for me right now. I don't have a clue what the problem is. I haven't called customer service.

I have a full five bars, and it does seem to connect for me though. I tried changing some of the setting on my Amazon account, and they showed up on my kindle (I changed the name of my kindle from my computer). When I try to get on sites, I sometimes get the title of the page on the top before it says it disconnects. I'm not sure if its a problem with my kindle or because of the area though.
psycholoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2010, 01:31 AM   #3
xnowimcoolx
Connoisseur
xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle 2
I'm in Vancouver. Just tried it. 4 bars, 3G, but won't connect me to anything. weird.
xnowimcoolx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:02 AM   #4
pf983
pf983 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Just a follow up. My kindle can now connected online using 3G on Telus. It looks like a system roaming issue and my brand new Kindle is good :-) Hope it stays that way.
pf983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:43 PM   #5
goffdude12
goffdude12 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3rd gen 3G
Mine works fine, with good reception. I did import it from the US though. Usually it won't connect to 3G automatically if there are any wifi networks around (even if they are protected), but if I do a restart - which takes several minutes - it connects to the 3G when it reboots.
goffdude12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert