Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-18-2011, 03:38 PM   #31
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by statethatiamin View Post
I may have the same exact problem as some of you guys
You have the Kindle case from Amazon without the light? The issue is only with the Amazon cases which hook into the side of the Kindle itself and more specifically the one without a light. There have been reports about Amazon refunding people who have bought the case without the light or replacing their case with the version with the light instead.

If your Kindle is constantly crashing or locking up then this may explain why you're having issues with indexing.

Quote:
I just wanted to follow up and ask if youse problems resolved themselves when you take the kindle out of the case?
I would love for the freezing and lock ups to stop
But i have a little bit of hope if you guys have seen improvement!
There is no definitive answer for this one.

Some people have taken the Kindle out of the no light case and had no change.
Some people have taken the Kindle out of the no light case and had no more crashes/lockups.
Some people just don't have any issues with the Kindle at all in their no light case.
A handful of people have complained about the case with the light but the vast majority seem to be complaints from people with the case without the light however.

The theories as to why this is happening are varied. One theory which got pretty conclusively shot down was that the two metal hooks are shorting out the contacts inside the Kindle mounting holes. One current theory is that the case without the light is somehow causing a big static build up which only accumulates in that type of case which once its big enough will cause the Kindle to reboot.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:51 PM   #32
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I may have the same exact problem as some of you guys
I just wanted to follow up and ask if youse problems resolved themselves when you take the kindle out of the case?
I would love for the freezing and lock ups to stop
But i have a little bit of hope if you guys have seen improvement!
There have been reports that removing it from the case stops the lockups. Try it and see. Either way, report the problem to Amazon Customer Service. You may be pleasantly surprised at their response, according to anecdotes I've read.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:49 PM   #33
statethatiamin
Avid Reader
statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle 3
amazon customer service is exceptional!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Either way, report the problem to Amazon Customer Service. You may be pleasantly surprised at their response, according to anecdotes I've read.
Haha, I just called and they said that it happens quite often; she didn't give me an explanation, but she gave me credit for it and told me I should get the lighted cover. We'll see how that turns out.
statethatiamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:23 PM   #34
robear38
robear38 began at the beginning.

Reboots and the cover...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonsai View Post
I'm on my second wifi-only K3, and Amazon is shipping me a third tomorrow. With the first two, I had problems where the Kindle would frequently reboot for no apparent reason - sometimes even while I was reading. Amazon already sent me one replacement Kindle, and the problem seems worse on Kindle No. 2.

I was just googling the issue and saw someone complaining about a similar problem -- but they think it's somehow connected to the hinges on the official Amazon case. And come to think of it, I had my Kindle for two weeks before the case arrived, and didn't have a problem -- it was only after I started using the case that the problem started.

Is there any way the case could cause this problem? Any suggestions on how to fix it? If I still have the problem with Kindle No. 3, perhaps I'll see if Amazon will let me return the case.

Anyone else see something like this?

Edit: As I was typing this post, my Kindle rebooted yet again. ARGH!

I had the same problems and I had my K3 in the official Amazon case. Almost ready to call Amazon and demand replacement, but took the case off and the problem immediately went away and hasn't reoccurred. I had been doing a lot of reading in bed holding the K3 by the case, but the problem occurred regardless of the position.

I'm convinced the case was causing the problem and have ordered a simple sleeve to protect it when I'm not reading.
robear38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:01 PM   #35
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
robear:

Amazon will refund your purchase price and most folks appear to be getting an additional amount to purchase the lighted case or other option. I don't know if it is back, but yesterday the UNlighted case was no longer for sale at Amazon.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:53 PM   #36
robear38
robear38 began at the beginning.

Case Purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
robear:

Amazon will refund your purchase price and most folks appear to be getting an additional amount to purchase the lighted case or other option. I don't know if it is back, but yesterday the UNlighted case was no longer for sale at Amazon.
Unfortunately, I bought both the K3 and the case at the same time at Staples well over 30 days ago, so Amazon won't be on the hook. If I can locate my receipt, I'll try to get refund at Staples. Wish me luck!
robear38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:32 PM   #37
statethatiamin
Avid Reader
statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robear38 View Post
Wish me luck!
Good luck
statethatiamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:30 PM   #38
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
robear:

I'd still call Amazon and tell them of your problem - they manufactured the UNlighted DEFECTIVE cover - they might cut you some slack. Otherwise, see if they will generate some email confirming the defect you can take to the store.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reboot case