Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-19-2011, 04:56 PM   #1
G_Rozakis
G_Rozakis began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Kindle credit card stealing trojan?

Everytime i use wi-fi at the mall my screen resets and fills up with credit card numbers. I think they're credit card numbers only because it has the exact number of digits follwed by a exp date. Is my kindle infected with a trojan and how do i clean it out?
G_Rozakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:00 PM   #2
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Eh? Thats a new one for me. I've never heard of any trojan or malware on a Kindle. It'd also be a strange target for a credit card stealing trojan as well since not many people would be buying stuff on a Kindle by typing in CC numbers.

What do the numbers look like exactly? Just replace some of the digits with 0s or something.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:23 PM   #3
G_Rozakis
G_Rozakis began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
it's 16 numbers example(0000000000000000) exp 7/15
(0000000000000000) exp 8/13
and it fills up the whole screen in a row
G_Rozakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:27 PM   #4
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Hmm. No idea.

I'd suspect something about the WiFi at the mall and whatever web proxy they're using before the Kindle though. Talk to Amazon/Kindle CS about it IMO.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:27 PM   #5
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I'd also try finding a computer geek and take him/her to that mall for some scoping out.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:32 PM   #6
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Rozakis View Post
Everytime i use wi-fi at the mall my screen resets and fills up with credit card numbers. I think they're credit card numbers only because it has the exact number of digits follwed by a exp date. Is my kindle infected with a trojan and how do i clean it out?
Are you serious?

This is, without a doubt, the most bizarre thing I have ever heard of a Kindle doing. I would call Amazon ASAP.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:35 PM   #7
CrayWolf
Enthusiast
CrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with others

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
I do troubleshooting for a living, so even though I have absolutely no idea what could possibly be causing this, I think I can help us down the right path...

- Does this happen on public Wi-Fi connections other than the one at the mall?

- Does it happen every time you connect at the mall?

- What are you doing with the Kindle when it happens? (Reading a book, playing a game, using the web browser, etc)

- Does it happen immediately on starting the activity, or does it take some time?

- Does it act oddly in any way other than displaying these numbers?
CrayWolf is offline   Reply With Quote