Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-19-2011, 10:56 AM   #1
running
running will become famous soon enoughrunning will become famous soon enoughrunning will become famous soon enoughrunning will become famous soon enoughrunning will become famous soon enoughrunning will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle
Instant Messaging on Kindle - meebo

I have found out how to use IM on kindle (yes, I know it is taking it too far, but why not hey, the browsing it free!)

You have to use the mobile version of meebo, which is at https://www.meebo.com/mobile

The first login will not work. I don't know why, but it does that on every device (you can try it with your desktop browser, too). Logoff with the X button, login again - voilla, you have your IM buddy list and you can chat.

I haven't tested it very much yet, but I think you may like it
running is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:41 PM   #2
mdovell
Zealot
mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle DX
interesting but doesn't seem to work on my dxi...maybe it's k3
mdovell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:54 PM   #3
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Nice find.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:57 PM   #4
running
running will become famous soon enoughrunning will become famous soon enoughrunning will become famous soon enoughrunning will become famous soon enoughrunning will become famous soon enoughrunning will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
interesting but doesn't seem to work on my dxi...maybe it's k3
Yeah, I should have mentioned I tested it on K3 only.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:15 PM   #5
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
yep if you have google voice you can also text message on the kindle
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:18 PM   #6
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Maybe I'm alone, but I don't want distractions like IM and text messaging on my Kindle. It's one of the things I like about the Kindle.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:22 PM   #7
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
Maybe I'm alone, but I don't want distractions like IM and text messaging on my Kindle. It's one of the things I like about the Kindle.
You'd only get distracted when you're look at that specific page on the Kindle browser so its still an interruption free zone if you wish it to be
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:03 PM   #8
running

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
Well yeah, it is obvious that the kindle was not done for this purpose. If you navigate out of the page, for example, there is no background notification, nothing, and it logs you out of the IM.

But still, it's nice to know what is possible with this thing. And it's quite a lot, it turns out.