Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-09-2012, 09:30 PM   #1
Edward Kenyon
Edward Kenyon began at the beginning.

Device: none
Updated Calibre and lost Library

I just updated my calibre software and I have now lost my entire library.

I am hoping there is an easy way to recover this as some of the items I no longer have access to.
Edward Kenyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:50 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT(Fixed,New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Kenyon View Post

I just updated my calibre software and I have now lost my entire library.

I am hoping there is an easy way to recover this as some of the items I no longer have access to.
You probably gave it a new location
Calibre updates usually use the saved preferences (even if you uninstall)

Search your computer for: metadata.db

The bigger one is probably your library

In Calibre: the arrow on the Library Icon: Create/Switch to the folder that contains the above file
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2012, 01:22 AM   #3
Lisa3
Old Dog
Lisa3 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle & iPad
MAC OS 10.4.7 - Changed name of Home Folder. Now Calibre dumps all the files in the Home Folder and does not use or create a CalibreLibrary folder. What's wrong?
Lisa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:57 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
You have probably confused Calibre because the library folder it was using no longer exists?

The easiest way to fix it will be to click on the Library icon and use use the option to switch libraries and point at where the library now is. You can use that option to switch to an existing library folder, or to create a new library folder. Note, however, that this will lose any of the books that you say have been dumped into your home folder so they will need re-adding.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:26 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT(Fixed,New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
You have probably confused Calibre because the library folder it was using no longer exists?

The easiest way to fix it will be to click on the Library icon and use use the option to switch libraries and point at where the library now is. You can use that option to switch to an existing library folder, or to create a new library folder. Note, however, that this will lose any of the books that you say have been dumped into your home folder so they will need re-adding.
Just to clarify.
The books are not gone-lost, just in a different library.

Once you have sorted things out, switch back to the unwanted location:
select All Books (click the box just above the row numbers):
Right-click, select Add to Library: (pick 'the good one') the option is yours to choose.

Switch Libraries back to 'the good one'
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert