Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 07-03-2020, 01:55 PM   #1396
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by canpolat View Post
I haven't tested this (I'm away from Calibre), but 2 things come to mind:

1. When I select 100 books and 'Save to Disk', it will copy the selected format to disk. When I add one more book to my library, select 101 books and 'Save to Disk' I expect it to copy 101 files (not just the added file) to disk. This means, the timestamps on all files will be modified (meaning it will be difficult to find out the newly added ones).
2. I can live with updated timestamps, but if I'm not wrong Save to Disk only saves to Disk, it does not save directly to cloud storage (on Windows). So, saving to disk will mean duplicating all of these files on disk. I just want them on cloud.
Save to disk to the cloud directory. But then you will have them in both places on your hard drive and on the cloud storage. The problem with cloud storage (overall) is that the program/app used requires you waste disk space as you have to have what's in the cloud storage on your hard drive. What you could do though is forget the cloud storage software as it's mostly useless and upload to the cloud storage from your hard drive using a web browser and then delete the saved copies from the hard drive.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 06:02 PM   #1397
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT(Fixed,New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
Quote:

1. When I select 100 books and 'Save to Disk', it will copy the selected format to disk. When I add one more book to my library, select 101 books and 'Save to Disk' I expect it to copy 101 files (not just the added file) to disk. This means, the timestamps on all files will be modified (meaning it will be difficult to find out the newly added ones).
2. I can live with updated timestamps, but if I'm not wrong Save to Disk only saves to Disk, it does not save directly to cloud storage (on Windows). So, saving to disk will mean duplicating all of these files on disk. I just want them on cloud.
STD is for an external Save (usually an unsupported reader or pen drive), not the Library. That happens automagically when you add.

Calibre is not Cloud aware (or hardened). AFAIK (and I only use a couple), All Cloud syncs REPLICATE a folder (set). Calibre does not like its Library getting written into by others. A Mirror (copy) is safer, BUT it should be paused whire Calibre is running as a needed file (most common is Metadata.db) could get locked (for a copy) just at the wrong time.

FWIW I just Shut down Calibre: run Freefilesync (takes a couple of minutes to scan, then make the needed adjustments. Mine is to a local NAS, so I run wide open speed. Your DSLCable connection may slow this down quite a bit )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2020, 06:28 PM   #1398
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
FWIW I just Shut down Calibre: run Freefilesync (takes a couple of minutes to scan, then make the needed adjustments. Mine is to a local NAS, so I run wide open speed. Your DSLCable connection may slow this down quite a bit )
except I use GoodSynch to do incremental backup (aka as mirroring), to local storage daily, and an FTP service weekly. Been doing for 30+ years - before GoodSynch came along I used a home grown DeLorean (not the car) copy program

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post

Why can't you use Save to Disk - i.e. what's missing from it?

BR

Save to disk will save directly to Onedrive, viz:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2020-07-04 072400.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	180365

I would be somewhat surprised if it didn't work with other popular 'cloud' services.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 05:56 AM   #1399
canpolat
Connoisseur
canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Xodo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Save to disk to the cloud directory. But then you will have them in both places on your hard drive and on the cloud storage. The problem with cloud storage (overall) is that the program/app used requires you waste disk space as you have to have what's in the cloud storage on your hard drive. What you could do though is forget the cloud storage software as it's mostly useless and upload to the cloud storage from your hard drive using a web browser and then delete the saved copies from the hard drive.
Thank you for the response JSWolf, but I don't think using a browser for what I described as my requirements is not a practical solution.
canpolat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 06:13 AM   #1400
canpolat
Connoisseur
canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.

Quote:
STD is for an external Save (usually an unsupported reader or pen drive), not the Library. That happens automagically when you add.

Calibre is not Cloud aware (or hardened). AFAIK (and I only use a couple), All Cloud syncs REPLICATE a folder (set). Calibre does not like its Library getting written into by others. A Mirror (copy) is safer, BUT it should be paused whire Calibre is running as a needed file (most common is Metadata.db) could get locked (for a copy) just at the wrong time.

Thank you for your response theducks. I have my own scripts doing what I need. I was just hoping that someone would find the plugin idea interesting.
Advert
Old 07-10-2020, 06:17 AM   #1401
canpolat
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Save to disk will save directly to Onedrive, viz:

Attachment 180365

I would be somewhat surprised if it didn't work with other popular 'cloud' services.

BR
I did not mean the local OneDrive directory, I meant the cloud storage. Otherwise, agreed, local OneDrive directory is just another directory. My point was: STD does not have any built-in diffing functionality that would only copy the changed/new files. As far as I know, it will always copy all files to destination. And that's a time consuming process.
Old 07-10-2020, 08:23 AM   #1402
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I prefer to use a commercial FTP server. Don't these cloud things have a move option? If not, that's another reason for me not to use them

BR
Old 07-10-2020, 08:59 AM   #1403
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:
Um.. STD is something you go to the doctor for.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 03:57 PM   #1404
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Or "Spot The Difference" in a game I play
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 07:25 PM   #1405
BetterRed
null operator

Quote:
It's ambiguous, even within the calibre domain, it's also an industrial bus

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-10-2020 at 07:53 PM.
Old 07-10-2020, 11:20 PM   #1406
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Clara HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Pro, Tolino epos
Quote:
Common use at my work is as a TLA for short term disability vs LTD for long term disability. In either case, you will be seeing a doctor. Probably IRL even at this time.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 03:17 PM   #1407
BibiFlip
BibiFlip began at the beginning.

Device: Smartphone
Hi all,
I would like to have a Plugin that writes the checksum of the file to a custom column (similar to the Page Count Plugin).

This are my use cases:
* Sometimes it's easier to compare the checksum of files to detect, if there are really identical. Otherwise, I need to investigate.
* It's useful to compare the checksums to a later time point to spot errors or corrupt files.
* It would be great, if the saved checksum could be used while importing new books as an additional to comparison of the metadata to spot duplicates.

What do you think?
BibiFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 04:52 PM   #1408
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT(Fixed,New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
Any metadata or cover change embedded would invalidate this saved value.
Corruption is not usually an issue for books IN the library.
OTOH there are lots of things to NOT do, that will damage the DB (or what it has documented)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 05:02 PM   #1409
capink
Addict
capink knows more than wikipediacapink knows more than wikipediacapink knows more than wikipediacapink knows more than wikipediacapink knows more than wikipediacapink knows more than wikipediacapink knows more than wikipediacapink knows more than wikipediacapink knows more than wikipediacapink knows more than wikipediacapink knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle
I believe you do not need to change cover or metadata to affect the checksum. Merely opening the file with calibre viewer can change the checksum as calibre inserts bookmarks into the file.

Given the above I am curious as to how the Find Duplicates plugin performs its binary compare? Does it discard cover, metadata and bookmarks from files before comparing? Maybe someone can shed light on this.
capink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 06:18 PM   #1410
ownedbycats
Wizard
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...rk#post2612978

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
@LadyKate - a binary search is an *exact* match type search on the underlying files, so yes bookmarks screw things up. Personally I turned off calibre bookmarks a long, long time ago because (a) I don't read books using the calibre viewer, and (b) I was getting annoyed with the contents and timestamps changing every time I opened one up to look at it.

All I can suggest is turning off the feature (in the Preferences in the calibre ebook viewer application itself), and then using the Quality Check and Modify ePub plugins to find ePubs with Bookmarks and remove the bookmarks respectively.
I disabled embedded bookmarks because I use incremental backups (full backups every time is slow) and the constant file changes were making an absolute mess of it.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 07-13-2020 at 06:27 PM.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub fix, epub-fix, google books, metadata calibre title, pdf, pdf and calibre, plugin development