Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-06-2010, 09:14 AM   #1
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
GREAT! play AVI, DivX, WMV, FLV1 video on iPad from mem stick/SD.

so yeh no need to convert all that video to h.264.
and use the camera kit to connect external storage!

Ok so yeh here it is how to play great looking full screen video that ISNT h.264 and how to do it with a memory stick too.

Things you need to get.

1. jailbrake ipad (search for spirit jailbreak)
2. download the free app iFile from Cydia(the jailbreak appstore)
3. download yxplayer from official appstore $4.99
4. Have a camera connection kit(only needed if you want to play files fromexternal media)

So connect external media
open iFile and navigate to Var/mnt and go into mount 1 where you will see contents of you external memory.
select the files you want to watch and copy them.
navigate to var/Mobile/Applications/(random folder name- you need to check all o the folders in here until you find one with a folder inside it called 'yxplayer.app' click on documents) Its best to create a bookmark then for this page so you can get straight to it next time.
select edit and paste the video files in(unfortunately you cant oplay directly from the mem stick.
exit ifile, open yxplayer and play video

when you have watched something you can then delete it in the player app to free up space for the next transfer.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:46 AM   #2
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Worth noting that it's a little jittery on larger files my 30 min divx plays fine my 1 hour programme not so much, it is the first version though so hopefully updates will resolve that.
Advert
Old 06-06-2010, 11:24 AM   #3
lilman
Addict
lilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX, iPad
Sounds interesting, but I'll wait for playback to improve before purchasing.

I've always wondered why vlc never released an app for the iPhone or iPad. It's open source, so why did it have to be released in the jb store? Does Apple not want a real video player on their iDevices?

-Edit-
Just noticed yxplayer isn't available in the app store for iPhone but apparently it is in the jb store... very odd that Apple would allow the iPad version in the app store but not the iPhone version.
lilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:45 AM   #4
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Or you could try the Air Video App - no need to convert anything, or jailbreak.

Pete
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:00 PM   #5
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by petermillard View Post
Or you could try the Air Video App - no need to convert anything, or jailbreak.

Pete
But air video isnt a video player as such.

it works by displaying a stream sent by a connected PC. not much use on a plane or on holiday.

And if I am at home I'll watch video on the large HD its connected to.

Nothing wrong with it as an app but for playing video from the memory stick its about as useful an app as Stanza or the big calculator app
Advert
Old 06-06-2010, 02:23 PM   #6
Fotoman
Groupie
Fotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it is

Device: iPad 64GB wifi (Sony 505 RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
But air video isnt a video player as such.

it works by displaying a stream sent by a connected PC. not much use on a plane or on holiday.

And if I am at home I'll watch video on the large HD its connected to.

Nothing wrong with it as an app but for playing video from the memory stick its about as useful an app as Stanza or the big calculator app
Hmm... why does everyone think that AirVideo is only a streamer? Bad marketting on their part I guess.

AirVideo also converts offline for syncing through iTunes. It'll convert anything into a H264 file and you can queue just as many things as you wish and let it rip. The only clunky thing about this is that you can't control the destination of the converted file: it will be saved in the same directory your original came from in m4V format with "airvideo" tacked on to the name.

It's also a very fast converter. I have tested it head to head against Handbrake and it wins hands down.

I have watched many, many things offline I pre-converted with it.

It also has the unique capacity of streaming from your desktop over the internet to your iPad over wifi or 3G (I wouldn't recommend the later with a limited data plan for obvious reasons.) Setting that up took me all 30 seconds with my particular router although some people seem to have issues with that and that functionality is labeled "beta."
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 02:52 PM   #7
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotoman View Post
Hmm... why does everyone think that AirVideo is only a streamer? Bad marketting on their part I guess.

AirVideo also converts offline for syncing through iTunes. It'll convert anything into a H264 file and you can queue just as many things as you wish and let it rip. The only clunky thing about this is that you can't control the destination of the converted file: it will be saved in the same directory your original came from in m4V format with "airvideo" tacked on to the name.

It's also a very fast converter. I have tested it head to head against Handbrake and it wins hands down.

I have watched many, many things offline I pre-converted with it.

It also has the unique capacity of streaming from your desktop over the internet to your iPad over wifi or 3G (I wouldn't recommend the later with a limited data plan for obvious reasons.) Setting that up took me all 30 seconds with my particular router although some people seem to have issues with that and that functionality is labeled "beta."
oh its a good app but so is Stanza and again That cant play a .avi file on an iPad from a memory stick.

nothing against airvideo but its completely irrelevant to playing video on the iPad as whilst it may also be a converter as well as a streamer it isnt a video player on the iPad.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:07 PM   #8
Fotoman
Groupie
Fotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it is

Quote:
nothing against airvideo but its completely irrelevant to playing video on the iPad as whilst it may also be a converter as well as a streamer it isnt a video player on the iPad.
Well it is an H264 player

What it isn't is a player that can play unconverted formats as yxplayer can nor can a stock iPad access those from a memory stick. I can see the advantage of being able to play any random file you acquire while away from home. It's just not something I do.

However my post was specifically directed at your statement that Airvideo is "... not much use on a plane or on holiday..." Its offline conversions lets me use the native iPad video player to watch pre-converted videos anywhere offline and I can stream any content on my desktop to anywhere else in the world I have a wifi connection.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:21 PM   #9
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
Well it is an H264 player

What it isn't is a player that can play unconverted formats as yxplayer can nor can a stock iPad access those from a memory stick. I can see the advantage of being able to play any random file you acquire while away from home. It's just not something I do.

However my post was specifically directed at your statement that Airvideo is "... not much use on a plane or on holiday..." Its offline conversions lets me use the native iPad video player to watch pre-converted videos anywhere offline and I can stream any content on my desktop to anywhere else in the world I have a wifi connection.
But that's not air video... that's the airvideo server. so unless you take your laptop on the plane then airvideo itself on your iPAD is zero use on a plane I was talking about airvideo which cannot actually play any video..
Old 06-06-2010, 03:32 PM   #10
Fotoman
Groupie

Quote:
But that's not air video... that's the airvideo server. so unless you take your laptop on the plane then airvideo itself on your iPAD is zero use on a plane I was talking about airvideo which cannot actually play any video..
I understand your point although "...on holiday..." is still overly broad and many airlines, at least in North America, are already providing in-flight wifi... and yes, Airvideo doesn't have its own internal code for rendering videos but hooks into the native video player... Bottom line for me is it fulfills all my video needs including anything I left behind at home and didn't pre-convert in whatever format... Works for me.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:47 PM   #11
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
I understand your point although "...on holiday..." is still overly broad and many airlines, at least in North America, are already providing in-flight wifi... and yes, Airvideo doesn't have its own internal code for rendering videos but hooks into the native video player... Bottom line for me is it fulfills all my video needs including anything I left behind at home and didn't pre-convert in whatever format... Works for me.
fair enough although im not sure what quality you would get trying to stream video on the fly from your house to an airplane???... maybe converting the video to jpeg files and putting subtitles on so you can play it in the photo app as a slideshow might give better resolution and frame rate

It is just different strokes for different folks I guess.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:03 PM   #12
Fotoman
Groupie

Quote:
fair enough although im not sure what quality you would get trying to stream video on the fly from your house to an airplane???... maybe converting the video to jpeg files and putting subtitles on so you can play it in the photo app as a slideshow might give better resolution and frame rate

It is just different strokes for different folks I guess.
I have streamed a 720p mkv of Inglourious Basterds from home to a Starbucks with no hiccups. The limiting factor is my home upload stream that peaks at 1 Mbps. Most wifi connections or even most 3G exceeds 1 Mbps.

If you haven't tried it, you don't really know... They have a free version...
Old 06-06-2010, 06:30 PM   #13
rAzR
rAzR began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
What's this like in terms of using the USB adapter from the camera connection kit and a USB memory stick?

Is it gonna really drain power?
rAzR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:14 AM   #14
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
I have streamed a 720p mkv of Inglourious Basterds from home to a Starbucks with no hiccups. The limiting factor is my home upload stream that peaks at 1 Mbps. Most wifi connections or even most 3G exceeds 1 Mbps.

If you haven't tried it, you don't really know... They have a free version...
It might of been fine for you but you werent strteaming 720pmv at all on a 1mbps connection! people struggle to stream anything resembling HD via 6mb connections!

"Good quality 720p HD takes at least 12Mbps, and 15Mbps is a more reasonable
minimum. Good quality 1080i takes at least 15Mbps, and even 28Mbps isn't
enough to eliminate all artifacts (based on D-Theater tape bitrates and
quality)."

which is of course irrelevant as the airvideo server would have been massively downgrading the video before it sent it, it doesnt matter what it was in on the PC.

Also most 3g speeds state faster than 1mbps but NONE of them get close to averaging it! here is a table from computerworlds large article on 3G

3G Networks -- Test Results
AT&T LaptopConnect Sprint Mobile Broadband Verizon BroadBandAccess
Peak download speed* 1.6Mbit/sec. 1.2Mbit/sec. 1.3Mbit/sec.
Average download speed* 755Kbit/sec. 494Kbit/sec. 592Kbit/sec.
Average upload speed* 484Kbit/sec. 294Kbit/sec. 232Kbit/sec.
Connection time** 3.0 seconds 3.7 seconds 5.6 seconds
Time to load Web page** .228 seconds .224 seconds .230 seconds
Battery life lowered by** 40 minutes 1 hour 20 minutes

there is no point trying it as I dont have guarenteed wifi access on a plain or holiday so Im just going to put my video on a memory stick.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:24 AM   #15
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rAzR View Post
What's this like in terms of using the USB adapter from the camera connection kit and a USB memory stick?

Is it gonna really drain power?
I havent noticed a big drain and it transfers the files pretty quickly so no need to leave it cobnnected.