Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-01-2013, 01:39 PM   #16
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Have you installed JBPatch and the Kindlet Jailbreak?

Somewhere in the JBPatch notes, it says that you need to "press more to the left" because of a "bug in the GUI". I expect that this bug is caused (or worsened) by the Kindlet Jailbreak. If you have this installed, you may be running into this particular issue.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:11 PM   #17
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2x Sony PRS-350; PRS-300 (†), Paperwhite (†), Voyage
Hi

I have the same problem - well, it's not a real problem.
Solution:
Just do a LONG PRESS onto the 'A', let's say one or two seconds. Even when the 'A' does not become inverted it'll work.

I use the newest firmware and JBPatch.

A.
Analogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2013, 02:15 PM   #18
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I don't have JBPatch installed - wish I did, but I upgraded to 5.3.3 before I knew about it. I tried to back it down to 5.3.1, but was told the update failed, and I haven't wanted to try again. I miss the status bar at the bottom of the screen, which I understand JBPatch would allow, but not enough to try to back off to 5.3.1 again. Maybe some other day.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:19 PM   #19
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
Just an update on my Aa menu problem.

I've learned to call up the toolbar by pressing more in the left side than in the upper right corner as I've been doing, roughly where the Home icon is. that seems to call up the toolbar more reliably.

I deleted one of Jon's fonts - haven't put the new version on yet - and the Aa menu responds more reliably now, so maybe my PW just didn't like that version of the font for some reason.

I'm using Blossom's Gentium Book font at size 5 from the left, and it seems to work just fine for me now.

Touch screens aren't instantaneous - I keep expecting them to be, but they're not. It's like my pw has to think for a second before responding. I may have just been too impatient.
Charis has alot of glyphs. (each font file is over 1MB). It's made for international languages so that's why the pause if you use both versions. Mine pauses before coming up. It's perfectly normal if your using custom fonts with alot of glyphs and file size.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:45 PM   #20
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2x Sony PRS-350; PRS-300 (†), Paperwhite (†), Voyage
Hi BeccaPrice

JBPatch now works for 5.3.3. I do have 5.3.3 and a working JBPatch. Update came out recently. If you have a jailbreaked reader, just install 5.3.3.

A.
Analogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2013, 04:25 PM   #21
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
I don't have JBPatch installed - wish I did, but I upgraded to 5.3.3 before I knew about it. I tried to back it down to 5.3.1, but was told the update failed, and I haven't wanted to try again. I miss the status bar at the bottom of the screen, which I understand JBPatch would allow, but not enough to try to back off to 5.3.1 again. Maybe some other day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogus View Post
Hi BeccaPrice

JBPatch now works for 5.3.3. I do have 5.3.3 and a working JBPatch. Update came out recently. If you have a jailbreaked reader, just install 5.3.3.

A.
While technically true that it is available for 5.3.3, but the JBPatch for the Paperwhite does not and will not (if I understand ixtab right on it) have the status bar that it had on the (old) Touch - 5.3.2 does not have the statusbar mod as well. What does work though is hyphenation, multiple dictionary lookup, custom sizes for font size selection, and custom margin settings. Another limitation: some features are only available for old mobi files, not the KF8 as that uses a different reader app.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:22 PM   #22
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
*thank you* so much! I'll have to go try and apply it tomorrow. (I'm reading a book on neuroscience, and sometimes a word is just too long for the line length, and my justification looks funny enough to be annoying, so the hyphenation will be a treat!)
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:46 PM   #23
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
*thank you* so much! I'll have to go try and apply it tomorrow. (I'm reading a book on neuroscience, and sometimes a word is just too long for the line length, and my justification looks funny enough to be annoying, so the hyphenation will be a treat!)
I strongly recommend this.... of all the hacks, I've found the JBPatch's hyphenation to be the one I would really, really miss!
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:23 AM   #24
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Maybe off topic... But if "some dude" can hack the hyphenation stuff onto the Kindle, then why doesn't Amazon? Maybe because they want it either for all languages, or none?

Is it possible to only install the working parts of JBPatch?

Still, I don't feel like rooting / jailbreaking the kindle for one or two extra features, even though I do so with Android phones as soon as can be because it gains tons of functions there.

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-02-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:52 AM   #25
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Maybe off topic... But if "some dude" can hack the hyphenation stuff onto the Kindle, then why doesn't Amazon? Maybe because they want it either for all languages, or none?
I don't know. They actually do have the foundation for hyphenation in the firmware, they just don't use it - and the hyphenation patch closes that hole.

Quote:
Is it possible to only install the working parts of JBPatch?
Strictly speaking, all parts are working (otherwise they wouldn't be released ), but the font size patch has a few UI glitches. You can disable that patch if you don't need it. (In fact, you can enable/disable patches at will).

Quote:
Still, I don't feel like rooting / jailbreaking the kindle for one or two extra features, even though I do so with Android phones as soon as can be because it gains tons of functions there.
For me, the single most useful patch is the hyphenation one, and would be reason enough to jailbreak. It really makes a huge difference to the appearance and readability, especially for languages which tend to contain long words, such as german - where the default layout is a total eyesore. Unfortunately, hyphenation only works for .azw/.mobi files, because KF8 files are rendered by a native application, not in Java.

Anyway, below is an example of the hyphenation in action.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hyphenation.gif
Views:	152
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	100554  
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:28 AM   #26
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Yeah, I like it hyphenated too, as I became very used to a perfectly straight right hand side after using LaTeX for a long time. And I want my ligatures back too

With regard to languages with long words, Dutch is a "nice" example. We stick everything together, so "computer programmer" becomes "computerprogrammeur", and "bicycle store owner" will become "fietsenwinkeleigenaar". Dutch eBooks often look... jumbled.... because of this. I don't expect the Kindle to actually have Dutch hyphenation rules. Heck, it doesn't even have a Dutch user interface.

But the problem will resolve itself, as many Dutch are so influenced by English that they spell words seperately, which in Dutch often changes their meaning, sometimes drastically so. It's actually called the English Disease.

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-02-2013 at 12:01 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:36 AM   #27
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Yeah, I like it hyphenated too, as I became very used to a perfectly straight right hand side after using LaTeX for a long time. And I want my ligatures back too

With regard to languages with long words, Dutch is a "nice" example. We stick everything together, so "computer programmer" becomes "computerprogrammeur", and "bicycle store owner" will become "fietsenwinkeleigenaar". Dutch eBooks often look... jumbled.... because of this. I don't expect the Kindle too actually have Dutch hyphenation rules. Heck, it doesn't even have a Dutch user interface.
It works exactly the same in german - "Computerprogrammierer" and "Fahrradladenbesitzer", or if you want a longer version "Fahrradladeneigentümer"

Quote:
But the problem will resolve itself, as many Dutch are so influenced by English that they spell words seperately, which in Dutch often changes their meaning, sometimes drastically so. It's actually called the English Disease.
Yeah, same here, with the exact same problems. It hurts my eyes every single time.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:00 PM   #28
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
It works exactly the same in german - "Computerprogrammierer" and "Fahrradladenbesitzer", or if you want a longer version "Fahrradladeneigentümer"
Yeah, I know. I speak, read and write German as well. At a moderate level at least; enough for normal conversations and daily use or reading novels, but not enough to fully understand legal or highly technical documents for example. I'm just across the border. I'm actually so close to the border that I'd probably land in Germany if I should stumble in my front garden

Quote:
Yeah, same here, with the exact same problems. It hurts my eyes every single time.
You have that problem as well?! Njaaargh. There goes my main reason for wanting to move to Germany. Reading such words feels as if my eye hits a ditch at every space.

But we're getting off topic
Old 02-02-2013, 12:21 PM   #29
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
I've noticed that the Aa menu is a bit slower now that I added fonts, as well. Not a biggie, I figure it's the price to pay for customization.

Like Blossom, I get sick of looking at the same exact font all the time, and have different fonts for different types of books.

A bit OT, I also have the hope that slightly adjusting the fonts regularly will keep my brain on its toes, so I was even contemplating using a prettier but less legible font every now and then. They say doing stuff like walking backwards or sideways and using your left hand if you are righthanded is supposed to exercise your brain, so this should help as well. Hopefully.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:27 PM   #30
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:

With regard to languages with long words, Dutch is a "nice" example. We stick everything together, so "computer programmer" becomes "computerprogrammeur"
In German, how about:
computer programming handbook
Computerprogrammierhandbuch

And

computer programming handbook selection
Computerprogrammierhandbuchauswahl

And

computer programming handbook selection criteria
Computerprogrammierhandbuchauswahlverfahren

Yeah, we need hyphenation badly!

Disclaimer: this was a stupid example, and, in this case, we would have broken down there term, but the are legitimate long words like that or longer.

Last edited by xendula; 02-02-2013 at 12:30 PM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote