Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-10-2010, 09:41 PM   #1
tulsa
Zealot
tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2, Sony PRS 900
Exclamation Input/Output error

Not sure what this is. Using latest Ubuntu... plugged in Sony 900, Calibre shows this error:
Code:
(5, 'Input/output error')

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 56, in run
  File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 212, in _books
  File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/devices/prs505/driver.py", line 113, in books
  File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/devices/prs505/books.py", line 135, in __init__
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/xml/dom/minidom.py", line 1918, in parse
    return expatbuilder.parse(file)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/xml/dom/expatbuilder.py", line 928, in parse
    result = builder.parseFile(file)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/xml/dom/expatbuilder.py", line 204, in parseFile
    buffer = file.read(16*1024)
IOError: [Errno 5] Input/output error
tulsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:27 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
that means there was an error reading from a file on the device. try rebooting your device.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:32 PM   #3
tulsa
Zealot
tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks Kovid.
I ended up plugging it into my Windows machine and reformatting the reader drive.
I'm not sure what the deal with Ubuntu is.
When I use the 900 with Ubuntu a few times, the reader drive ends up being read-only.
I think I will just have to stick to Windows.

Unless you think this is a Calibre problem, I'd be happy to try and work through it.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:37 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I doubt it's a calibre problem. All calibre does is mount your drive and use normal filesystem callls to copy/delete file on it. Is the device being automounted by Ubuntu? If that's the case it may be mounted as root which is causing your problem. If you turn off the automounting the problem should go away.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:39 PM   #5
tulsa
Zealot

Yeah, it's automounted by ubuntu.
How do I turn off automounting... lol
Old 04-10-2010, 10:51 PM   #6
tulsa
Zealot

Nevermind.. google is my friend...
I did this:
$ gconf-editor

apps > nautilus > preferences
Uncheck the "media_automount" option
Uncheck the "media_automount_open" option

tada..
I'll put it through the works and see if it does the trick. Thanks again Kovid.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:10 AM   #7
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulsa View Post
When I use the 900 with Ubuntu a few times, the reader drive ends up being read-only.
Ubuntu's automounting works fine with calibre. You just need to make sure to eject (safely remove) the device by right clicking it on the desktop or by clicking the eject icon next to it in Nautilus. If it is not cleanly unmounted that will cause the file system to be set read-only.

Also, you can repair the file system in Ubuntu if it becomes read only. Use the following but replace sdb with the id for the 900.

Code:
sudo fsck.vfat /dev/sdb -artvVw
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:28 AM   #8
tulsa
Zealot

Ok, I re-enabled the automount feature to try this out.

I've noticed before that if I right click the icon on the desktop and select "safely remove" I always get this error:
Code:
Error detaching: helper exited with exit code 1: sense buffer empty
Error STOP UNIT for /dev/sde: Success
But if I go to Places > computer
and then "eject" the two sony drives, and then use the safely remove feature, it works fine.

After fiddling some more, it seems best to right click the icons on the desktop and use "eject", and then to go to Places > computer and use the safely remove feature on one of the drives, which then makes all the sony-related items disappear.

Ok, seems like everything is working properly, which is awesome, cause I really don't want to use windows!

Alright, as far as using that code to repair the file system if I manage to make it read only... I plugged in the device and looked under "dev". There is a item called sdb, but I'm not sure if that is the ID of the device?
How do I figure out the ID of the sony device?
Old 04-11-2010, 10:43 AM   #9
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulsa View Post
I plugged in the device and looked under "dev". There is a item called sdb, but I'm not sure if that is the ID of the device?
How do I figure out the ID of the sony device?
Be very careful you run that command on the correct device.

The easiest way to find the device id is to plug in the device, wait for it to be detected and do the following:

Code:
$ cat /etc/mtab
Toward the end (probably the very last entry) you will see something like:
Code:
/dev/sdb /media/Cybook\040Gen3 vfat rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks,uid=1000,gid=100,shortname=mixed,dmask=0077,utf8=1,flush 0 0
The first part /dev/sdb is what the device is being set to. Again /dev/sdb is on my system it could be different on your computer depending on how many devices are already connected.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:51 AM   #10
tulsa
Zealot

Yeah, I'll be careful!

Code:
I ran the mtab thing and have this:
/dev/sdb /media/READER vfat rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=devkit,uid=1000,gid=1000,shortname=mixed,dmask=0077,utf8=1,flush 0 0
/dev/sde /media/LAUNCHER vfat ro,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=devkit,uid=1000,gid=1000,shortname=mixed,dmask=0077,utf8=1,flush 0 0
Looks like sdb is, indeed, what Ubuntu labels it as.
Launcher is the Sony software that comes with the device.
It always gets mounted, too. Don't think there is a way to get rid of it.

Anyway, thanks for you help. Looks I'm good to go now!

Tags
calibre, error, input, output