Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-01-2008, 09:22 AM   #1
la bete
la bete began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
Noob questions re: OS X

Hi,

I'm somewhat confused. I'm considering getting the new (to the UK) Sony Reader from Waterstones, but I am concerned about how easy it will be to get books on to it.

I'm fine with the basics but the one thing that is really confusing me is if it is possible to buy a newly published ebook from WHSmith, Waterstones or the like and use my mac to get them on the reader, converting them where required.

Is this possible? Will I be able to buy an ebook from whichever bookseller and get it on to the reader without having to resort to windows?

Thanks in Advance!
la bete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:42 AM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Welcome to MobileRead, la bete!

I'm not entirely sure of the answer here, it'll depend a good bit on what mode Waterstones uses to sell their books. If they use the same software that Sony has been using in the U.S. and Canada, then (for reasons known only to mysterious figures at Sony) it won't run (directly) on a MacPuter. However, it usually will run under a Parallels or BootCamp installation of XP or Vista.

If that's the case, then you'll probably be able to go one of those paths. If it's not, well, it'll depend on what they're using instead of the Sony application.

That all only applies to encrypted BBeB, and Adobe books, howerver. The 505 shows up as a standard flash drive when connected to a MacPuter's USB port, so any unencrypted books that you get elsewhere, which are one of the Sony supported formats, will work just fine being shuttled in through the USB port, just as you'd put files on a flash drive.

I hope that helps, please do let us know if you have other questions, or if I wasn't as clear about all that as I think/hope I was.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:13 AM   #3
Aurora W
Addict
Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aurora W ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-950, iPad, Nexus 7
Welcome to MobileRead, and greetings fellow Mac user!

As NatCh said, a lot will depend on the format the site uses for downloading. If it's a .pdf, no problems - that is how I handled my downloads until recently. I also used .rtf from time to time when it was available.

Also, as Nat said, using Parallels/BootCamp (if you have an Intel Mac) will enable you to use Sony's site. And someday, I hope they explain why they won't work with Macs...
Aurora W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:35 AM   #4
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
And a must have application will be Calibre. It's a free open-source, multiplatform application for managing ebooks on Windows. Linux or OS X. It pretty much replaces the "stock" software, unless you're dealing with DRM'ed books.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:08 AM   #5
la bete
la bete began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
Thanks for help guys. Seems Waterstones haven't told their customer service guys how the books will be being sold, which leads me to suspect it will be Sony driven.

Sadly I don't really have the space on my machine to add parallels+xp at the moment. Looks like I'll have to look at other options.
la bete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:34 AM   #6
Bitgod
Enthusiast
Bitgod began at the beginning.

Device: iPad / PRS-600 / iPhone 3G
Now if they'd just make a 64-bit Vista compatible version of the software, sigh. Guess I'll just install it on my XP partition on my macbook.
Bitgod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mac, n00b, newbie, osx, sony 505