Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-03-2015, 04:37 PM   #856
jstm
jstm will become famous soon enoughjstm will become famous soon enoughjstm will become famous soon enoughjstm will become famous soon enoughjstm will become famous soon enoughjstm will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle paperwhite 2014, IPAD, IPAD Mini, Iphone 6
caecilia in 4th position from left to right most the time, but I hope can use the bookerly font, I tried it, in my Ipad and Iphone and it's great.

By the way, anyone knows if it will be available in KPW?

Regards
jstm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:41 PM   #857
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSacredSoul View Post
Sorry to dig an old thread up (especially my own) but there doesn't seem to be any thread on fonts you guys are currently using. What fonts do you favor now?
Since the update that broke alternate fonts on the PW, I am not messing with fonts any more. I used Caecilia Condensed until my Voyage showed up. On the Voyage any font that came with it looks fine to me - mostly using Baskerville on 4th smallest size on Voyage.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:03 PM   #858
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
From the default choices, I still like Caecilia Condensed the most. If they update the e-ink Kindles with Bookerly, however, I'd prefer it. It looks rather nice on my iPad.

For almost all of my reading, however, I sideload and embed a custom font. I use a fairly heavily poked at (at this point, I've made so many little tweaks, I'm not sure what all I've done to it) version of Edlund.

After all my early font experimentation, I've settled on it and have been using it for about 1.5 years .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2015_06_03T21_58_31-0400.png
Views:	546
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	138977  
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:05 AM   #859
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Most of the time I use Caecilia, which I think has always been the default font on kindles. I mean my first kindle the K1 had just that font.

I have used the condensed version at times on my basic and paperwhite, but now on my Voyage, the regular caecilia looks really nice. Its less squat and wide on it. Just about right.

I don't like it as much on my kindle app, but on my Fire there is now bookerly which looks nicer than the regular caecilia on the app. For some reason the app version looks different than the Voyage version. Might be in my head.

But pretty much caecilia it is. Even though the Palatino and Baskerville now look really nice on the Voyage, for my eyes I just don't find them as readable. My eyes keep getting "stuck" for lack of better word. They just glide smooth over caecilia. Easy. So I can concentrate on the actual story, rather than notice the font.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:36 AM   #860
loco
Connoisseur
loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: PW2
palatino....smalest 80% of the time. while moving, use 3-4 larger
loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 03:39 AM   #861
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Helvetica or Palatino depending on whim. The size is third from the top, fourth, or sometimes fifth. I like the font as small as I can see but my old eyes vary depending on lighting conditions and time of day.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 07:37 PM   #862
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Helvetica .... Newspaper font! 4/5 in size on my K3 & Amazon Phone.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:16 AM   #863
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
Caecilia when my (old) eyes are tired, Palatino when they are not. Size 5 (from the left). And I really appreciate that I can use Palatino (or Futura which I also like) all the time on my Voyage because the display is this sharp.
Marrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:01 AM   #864
LeJon
Enthusiast
LeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle
The default font works for me. Probably might go with the newer font when it's out.
LeJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 02:06 AM   #865
mendesitba
Connoisseur
mendesitba began at the beginning.

Device: KPW, Ipad 2, Note 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7hir7een View Post
From the default choices, I still like Caecilia Condensed the most. If they update the e-ink Kindles with Bookerly, however, I'd prefer it. It looks rather nice on my iPad.

For almost all of my reading, however, I sideload and embed a custom font. I use a fairly heavily poked at (at this point, I've made so many little tweaks, I'm not sure what all I've done to it) version of Edlund.

After all my early font experimentation, I've settled on it and have been using it for about 1.5 years .
Hello! It is a really nice font.
How did you sideload it? I found a method that say you have to create a folder named 'font', create an empty file named USE_ALT_FONTS inside this folder and afterwards copy the ttf files to this page. Is it how did you made it?
mendesitba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:42 PM   #866
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendesitba View Post
Hello! It is a really nice font.
How did you sideload it? I found a method that say you have to create a folder named 'font', create an empty file named USE_ALT_FONTS inside this folder and afterwards copy the ttf files to this page. Is it how did you made it?
Mendesitba--The "USE_ALT_FONTS" hack does not work with the 2nd generation PWS--and I'm pretty sure it won't work with the 1st generation PWs if you've updated the firmware in them.

The best way I've found to use alternate fonts for books on my PW is to embed the font into the book file using Calibre and then transfer the file to my PW. The embedded font becomes the publisher font under the font menu.

If your books have DRM, you'll have to strip that first before you can embed the font.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 11:10 PM   #867
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The best way to handle custom fonts is of course to use the font hack.

That may be difficult on the PW2 because you need to be jailbroken -- in which case your only hope is as dordale said, embedding them in each book.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:28 AM   #868
cerem0ny
Evangelist
cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour
I use a different font for each book, converted to azw3 in calibre. Amazon and its six stock standard, unimpeachable font choices suck epic balls.
cerem0ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:34 AM   #869
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What do you dislike about the stock fonts?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:17 AM   #870
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerem0ny View Post
I use a different font for each book, converted to azw3 in calibre. Amazon and its six stock standard, unimpeachable font choices suck epic balls.
Since you so dislike the fonts that come with the Kindle, why not switch to a different Reader where you can side load fonts that you prefer?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote