Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-13-2018, 06:14 PM   #31
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
Accepting all the above complaints about Samsung, I'm nevertheless surprised at Samsung receiving no love. Samsung owns me ever since Samsung Pay with its patented MST (Magnetic Strip Technology). I've never encountered a terminal that can't take Samsung Pay (Apple and Android Pay require NFC-equipped terminals) . . .
I get all that with my Samsung Smartwatch! If you want to say Samsung makes the best smartwatches for Android phones, I will concede THAT! They work perfectly with my Motorola.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 02:23 AM   #32
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I absolutely love using Samsung hardware. I've had three Galaxy Note phones and they were all a joy to use. Unfortunately, all three died over the course of about two and a half years.

As for LG; I worked AT&T's warranty desk for a while and have no interest in ever owning another LG phone.

At the moment I'm on an iPhone 7; if nothing else it seems to be reliable so far.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2018, 07:22 PM   #33
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
I absolutely love using Samsung hardware. I've had three Galaxy Note phones and they were all a joy to use. Unfortunately, all three died over the course of about two and a half years.

As for LG; I worked AT&T's warranty desk for a while and have no interest in ever owning another LG phone.

At the moment I'm on an iPhone 7; if nothing else it seems to be reliable so far.
Wow, that's a shame. I bought a Note 2 used, 5 years ago and it's still going strong.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 11:40 PM   #34
Lovread
Lovread began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I've been using Samsung phone for years. The phone battery doesn't work very well now.
Lovread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 12:19 AM   #35
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I currently use a small, slim LG phone. Purely as a telephone, and once-in-a-blue-moon texting, replying if someone texts me, nothing else. I don't do social media. I had a Samsung Galaxy 5, but it was too bulky to slip in my top pocket of my business shirt, so I gave it to my sister, who loved it. I don't even use the LG much as a phone. I have a landline for that, right there on my desk.

All my "device" stuff is done on a big, powerful desk computer as I do a lot of HD video editing, and process lots of imagery from my Nikon and other cameras, as well as manage 2 websites and edit a club magazine. It has a scanner and two printers attached, all working. No smartphone is up for that workload. I have to have a big screen and a good keyboard. And since my workplace is at my PC, that is also where I do all my internet stuff as well.

The huge plus of this arrangement is that I don't spend my non-desk hours in a haze, hypnotised by a tiny screen as I walk down the street and under a bus, or drive into the back of a car stopped at the lights...

Oh, and I read ebooks on a Kindle. Horses for courses is my motto.

Last edited by Pulpmeister; 05-16-2018 at 12:22 AM. Reason: afterthought
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2018, 12:18 AM   #36
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
I am using a Samsung Galaxy Note 2.
The Samsung Galaxy Note 4 was the last phone they made which I would have bought.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 03:21 PM   #37
JustinThought
Groupie
JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab-3 7"
I bought a Samsung Galaxy S-2 new 'way back in the day, and I used it not only for a phone, but also to learn the process of rooting Android while exploring custom Android operating systems. When that finally died in 2014, I upgraded to a used S-3, which continues to function perfectly to this day. However, I have once again upgraded, as the chicken would say, "JusBCaws!", this time to the S-5 which I bought used. I'm still keeping the S-3 charging and discharging, doing some miscellaneous online work with it, in case the unthinkable happens with the S-5 and I need a quick backup.

Couple of things I require in a smartphone: ability to easily root; availability of custom operating systems, and, probably most of all, the ability to replace the battery. I hate the idea of replacing perfectly-functioning equipment because the battery doesn't have the lifespan of the hardware.

Is Samsung the best Android? Probably not. But it's the best Android for me.

Last edited by JustinThought; 05-24-2018 at 03:24 PM.
JustinThought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 05:03 PM   #38
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinThought View Post

Couple of things I require in a smartphone: ability to easily root; availability of custom operating systems, and, probably most of all, the ability to replace the battery. I hate the idea of replacing perfectly-functioning equipment because the battery doesn't have the lifespan of the hardware.

Is Samsung the best Android? Probably not. But it's the best Android for me.
My last phone I bought partly because it had a replaceable battery. I thought, awesome. Then when it came time to replace actual battery, they had stopped making them, selling them. The only ones I could find were some off branded badly reviewed chinese shipped ones on ebay that weren't even the right size. Not trustworthy.
I ended up buying a new phone with non replaceable battery.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:47 PM   #39
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
With the right tools, a good teardown video, and lots of care and patience, you can change a non-replaceable battery. Or get it done professionally. I've done it three times, though the first time was quite a learning experience, botching the job a bit, and had to wait on replacement ribbon cables.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:31 PM   #40
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
With the right tools, a good teardown video, and lots of care and patience, you can change a non-replaceable battery. Or get it done professionally. I've done it three times, though the first time was quite a learning experience, botching the job a bit, and had to wait on replacement ribbon cables.
My experience was that when my old tablet was 5 years old and the battery needed replacement, I could find no exact replacements and didn't want to waste the time and money trying to force fit a "replacement" battery that was not the same size so saved my time and money and picked up a replacement tablet.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 01:44 AM   #41
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I buy cheap phones (under $20) and cheap tablets (under $30) so battery replacement is a non-issue for me. When the device fails, I toss it and buy a new one.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 04:54 PM   #42
Cheval
Junior Member/Lurkerette
Cheval ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheval ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheval ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheval ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheval ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheval ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheval ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheval ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheval ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheval ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheval ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950; Kobo H2O/Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
By the way ... what is the best fruit?
A perfectly ripe pear.
Cheval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 12:24 AM   #43
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheval View Post
A perfectly ripe pear.
What type of pear? My current favourites are Comice and Honey Belle.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:52 AM   #44
Cheval
Junior Member/Lurkerette
Cheval ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheval ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheval ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheval ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheval ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheval ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheval ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheval ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheval ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheval ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheval ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950; Kobo H2O/Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
What type of pear? My current favourites are Comice and Honey Belle.
Oh, I'm an equal opportunity pear devotee. So far, my taste nirvana has been from Comices, Royal Riviera to be specific. Makes my little taste buds sing "Heaven, I'm in Heaven..."
Cheval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:04 AM   #45
virtualking16
virtualking16 began at the beginning.

Device: none
As per the price is concern I would say its good but performance wise i would prefer to have another phone than samsung
virtualking16 is offline   Reply With Quote