Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-07-2016, 08:51 AM   #1
chromeuser
chromeuser began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Tab A 10.1, Fire HD8, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura One
Anyone test KOReader with Kobo Aura One?

I'm considering getting the Kobo Aura One. The only issue, at the moment, is the PDF support. Nickel, unfortunately, doesn't support highlighting or annotation with PDF files.

My question is if anyone tested KOReader with the Kobo Aura One? Would it be possible to provide some feedback? Below are some questions:

(1) Is navigation between Nickel and KOReader seamless? I intend to use Nickel for e-books and KOReader for PDF documents.

(2) Does KOReader open PDF documents fast enough. Some reviews, so far, seem to point to slow rendering of PDF documents with the stock Kobo software.

Thanks!
chromeuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 11:06 AM   #2
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
1) It can if you also install Kobo Start Menu 8 (what you describe is how I currently do it myself).
2) The rendering engine is an improvement. That said, the real bottlenecks are probably the processor and lack of RAM, plus the slow refresh rate of e-ink screens.

That said, I believe I saw a comment somewhere on another thread that said that KOReader needs some tweaks to work with the larger display as it isn't calibrated so tapping on certain parts of the screen doesn't work. Unfortunately, the last version was released on August 23, so if that problem exists, it probably hasn't been fixed yet.

For what it's worth, I'm running Kobo firmware 4.0 on my Glo HD (it's the same version the Aura One uses) and everything works fine so far. So it'll probably run on the Aura One fine as well, once they update KOReader to work with the larger screen.
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2016, 08:00 PM   #3
chromeuser

Thanks for the feedback.

If it is a patch that can be done then, hopefully, it shouldn't be an issue.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:14 PM   #4
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
They're working on it. You can track the status of it here:

https://github.com/koreader/koreader/issues/2235

Assume that when the ticket is closed, they'll have fixed KOReader to work properly on the Aura One. The main bottleneck right now is that the One is so new that none of the developers actually own the hardware to to do any of the development work. Give it a few weeks for them to catch up.
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 11:50 PM   #5
chromeuser

Thanks again, really useful.

Considering the battery issues and overall stability, I'll hold-out from purchasing the Kobo Aura One, until a stable and working version of KOReader is available
Advert
Old 02-06-2017, 08:18 AM   #6
milannnnn
milannnnn began at the beginning.

Device: none
Sorry to bring this question back, but did they optimize the KoReader for the Kobo Aura One (battery, stability)?

If so, does it help with the word highlighting problem?
milannnnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:00 AM   #7
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
"word highlighting problem?" , is that a A1 only problem? For PDFs? Not seeing any problem on my AuraHD. The current nightly download site: http://build.koreader.rocks/download/nightly/

A number of A1 users have been using KOReader since this old thread (Aug 2016).

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:36 AM   #8
milannnnn
milannnnn began at the beginning.

Device: none
I meant the problem when highlighting text in original Kobo epub reader (laggy, missing words, etc). Does the highlighting function work better in KoReader (for epubs)?

Also it would be nice to hear an opinion from someone who's been using the KoReader for a longer time on KA1, speed, stability and battery wise?

Thanks.
milannnnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:55 AM   #9
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
KOReader's highlighting seems to work well, for me. There was an issue with trying to highlight text in the bottom line of the page and activating the GoTo dialog instead. (A long press on the bottom progress bar is supposed to do that.) The easiest way to fix that is to just dismiss the bottom/mini-bar by tapping the right end of the mini-bar.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote