Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-20-2013, 08:38 AM   #511
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by glos View Post
I've never had the italic issue though, and the white space doesn't bother me..
so maybe I should simply leave it as it is, seeing as it's working flawlessly since I've bought it!
Same and same which is why I can't tell for sure what has changed. I've updated though and I didn't notice any issue (but I'm easy to please, if the basic features work fine then I'm fine).
Regarding the 2.9.x update, I might update the Aura HD but not the Mini until we know more about the sideloaded kepubs
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:33 AM   #512
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
Same and same which is why I can't tell for sure what has changed. I've updated though and I didn't notice any issue (but I'm easy to please, if the basic features work fine then I'm fine).
Regarding the 2.9.x update, I might update the Aura HD but not the Mini until we know more about the sideloaded kepubs
The problem was that some of the supplied fonts would display bold text instead of italics.

For the Aura HD and Glo, I think the addition of Pocket is worth the upgrade when the firmware comes out. We don't know if this will ever get to the Tocuh and Mini. But, if you have more than 2000 books on the device, the change in cover image handling should help.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2013, 12:24 AM   #513
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
I hated the loss of the sideloaded stats with the extended driver. I got used to looking for % read in the top margin, sorta. Even though the stats weren't all that accurate, I still miss them. I definitely appreciate the font changes David mentioned and the way covers are handled does seem to be a real improvement for folks with a great many books on their devices.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:38 AM   #514
glos
Zealot
glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I really hope "we" find a way to make the stats reappear for the sideloaded kepubs, it is my favorite function... but because the pic zoom is such a great improvement, I think I'll have to use the new 2.9.x when it comes out.

Re 2.8.1: in the end I updated. It was smooth except the fact I had to abort the annotation/readinglife/whatever sync that the kobo desktop app was attempting (i have no annotations anyway) because it wasn't working, after 1 h it was still at.. say.. 10%, frozen (only that, I could do other things with the app!). So I didn't know if it had updated or not (I saw it had DL the update though, but I didn't know if aborting those sync would have compromised the update), I ejected the device and it said "updating" then I checked the fw when it was done and it was 2.8.1. MAH. anyway, it works, so all is fine
glos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:18 AM   #515
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by glos View Post
I really hope "we" find a way to make the stats reappear for the sideloaded kepubs, it is my favorite function... but because the pic zoom is such a great improvement, I think I'll have to use the new 2.9.x when it comes out.
in the meantime, you do get the zoom function (though not pinch zoom) if you add the line
Code:
[FeatureSettings]
ImageZoom=true
in the "kobo eReader.conf" file, which is a text file in the .kobo directory. Here are pictures of what the effects look like:
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2013, 06:08 AM   #516
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Even though I've read each and every post of this thread, now I don't remember all that has been said so I'm sorry if this isn't something new.

So far, I haven't experienced the long paragraph bug except on one book (supposedly bad formatted, though). Since it was short, I didn't mind.
Right now I'm reading A Song of Ice and Fire, the four-book bundle. This is the (original) kepub version so I can pick the Mini or the Aura HD and just read. On both of them, the fonts are usually Ubuntu and Deja Vu Serif.
Yesterday, I wanted something thicker and the ability to use TypeGenius so I tried Kobo Nickel and just like that only about half of the screen was covered with text Then I switched to Malabar and the page was back to normal

Is there a relation between the italic/bold issue and the way the paragraphs are handled?

I was tired so I didn't try all the stock fonts, actually I couldn't read further than half the chapter.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:59 AM   #517
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
AFAIK it has nothing to do with the bold/italic bug, but it is influenced by font type and font size: Changing one of these can make the bug disappear for the page you're on, but that doesn't mean it won't be back a few pages later.

Why don't you use metazoa's patch to get rid of the bug? Although that might not work for kepubs. I only use epubs, and for them it works like a charm.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:56 AM   #518
samhy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
AFAIK it has nothing to do with the bold/italic bug, but it is influenced by font type and font size: Changing one of these can make the bug disappear for the page you're on, but that doesn't mean it won't be back a few pages later.

Why don't you use metazoa's patch to get rid of the bug? Although that might not work for kepubs. I only use epubs, and for them it works like a charm.
Thank you doubleshuffle for the tip, I'll keep that in mind.

I tried a smaller font size on Kobo Nickel, to no avail. What is strange is the text wasn't bigger when I switched to Malabar, yet the page was covered with text as it should be.
Actually being once in nine months it doesn't happen too often for me trying to fix it. Also I didn't want to use Kobo Nickel in the first place, just check how it looked like.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:13 PM   #519
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Glad you like it.

One the menu for the plugin, select "Dismiss tiles from new home screen". This displays a dialog with options for each tile type. Select the ones that you want to get rid of. Pressing the "OK" button at this point will get rid of these tiles. If you want to prevent them from coming back, select the "Change database trigger" option and "Create or change trigger" before pressing OK.
Arghhhh - the sync tile finally showed up Installed your plug in and got rid.
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:16 AM   #520
juliana000
juliana000 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjuliana000 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjuliana000 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjuliana000 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjuliana000 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjuliana000 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjuliana000 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjuliana000 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjuliana000 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjuliana000 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjuliana000 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: kindle touch, kobo
I'm having a lot of problens with this upgrade(I'm so annoyed that I'm thinking in selling my aura and buy a kindle _ _" )
Is there any way to fix this problens?
- almost every book you have on the device to freezes when you open in the first page of a chapter?
- when you stop in the Middle of a chapter and close the book and then when you go back to your reading, you notice that it open in the bengining of the chapter?
-Make the kobo touch plugin go back to work?

I'm sorry for the terrible english
ah, there's anyway to go back to the previous firmawares?

Last edited by juliana000; 09-27-2013 at 03:19 AM.
juliana000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:43 AM   #521
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliana000 View Post
I'm having a lot of problens with this upgrade(I'm so annoyed that I'm thinking in selling my aura and buy a kindle _ _" )
Is there any way to fix this problens?
- almost every book you have on the device to freezes when you open in the first page of a chapter?
- when you stop in the Middle of a chapter and close the book and then when you go back to your reading, you notice that it open in the bengining of the chapter?
-Make the kobo touch plugin go back to work?

I'm sorry for the terrible english
ah, there's anyway to go back to the previous firmawares?
I can't help you with the plugin. However, with your other problems, you might try logging out of your Kobo account on the device. Some people have noticed improvement of similar problems by doing that.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 01:40 AM   #522
hounddog
Banned
hounddog began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
You add the following to the configuration file:

Code:
[FeatureSettings]
Screenshots=true
Then using the power button will take an screenshot. The side-effect is that you can't use the power button to put the device to sleep or turn it off.

The screenshots are saved in the root of the main memory.
Sorry, I'm a newb. What config file?
hounddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 06:11 AM   #523
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The device config file. It is in the directory ".kobo/Kobo" and is called "Kobo eReader.conf".
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote