Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-13-2010, 08:58 PM   #1
QuickReader
QuickReader has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPhone / iPad
MegaReader release announcement

I'm pleased to announce the release of MegaReader, our new iPhone eBook reader.

MegaReader was spawned out of our QuickReader app, which over time, based on user feedback, has grown into a general eBook reader. We created MegaReader because not everyone is interested in speed reading, but people seemed to enjoy the customization features and the convenience of finding and downloading free books directly in the app. MegaReader is available for $1.99 USD on the iTunes app store.

For more information visit the MegaReader website or iTunes app store, or view the MegaReader demo video.

-Patrick

PRESS RELEASE

MegaReader iPhone App Gives Access to 1.8 Million Free Books

Portland, Oregon - Inkstone Software today is pleased to announce the launch of MegaReader 1.0, a highly customizable iPhone eBook reading app that gives users the choice of over 1.8 million free books on the internet. The MegaReader app has been designed to tap into book catalogs such as Feedbooks, Project Gutenberg, Baen Free Books, Smashwords, and the Internet Archive - allowing users to discover not only the classics (such as Sherlock Holmes, Pride and Prejudice, and War and Peace), but also up and coming modern indie authors and publishers.

"The MegaReader app is a fantastic way to explore the nearly two million public domain titles freely available from the Internet Archive's BookServer catalog. We are thrilled to contribute to Inkstone's efforts to bring the enjoyment of these books to readers around the world" said Peter Brantley, Director of the BookServer Project, Internet Archive.

Once books have been downloaded to MegaReader over Wi-Fi they can be enjoyed anywhere, anytime without the need for an internet connection. Inkstone Software Founder Patrick Thompson said one of the key features of MegaReader, apart from the millions of free books on offer, was the advanced personalization it provided.

"Many reading apps currently available on the iPhone have rather utilitarian and confusing interfaces or they are very limited in the amount of customization you can do. We wanted to provide an elegant, easy to use interface that could be easily personalized to the reader's needs and tastes."

MegaReader gives users the ability to select one of 19 predefined color schemes, or to come up with one of their own from 1000s of available colors. There are also 23 fonts, 100s of font sizes and a variety of margin widths, line spacing, and text justification to choose from. Portrait or landscape modes can be locked depending on preference, and there is a built-in speed reading test that is used to calculate and display how long it will take to finish a chapter.

Users can easily navigate and search for books or authors from within MegaReader by browsing categories (such as mystery, action and adventure, romance, science fiction), viewing popular or recently added books, or looking at recommended reading lists and reviews.

The app is preloaded with 22 books to start users off, including works from Jane Austen, Dale Carnegie, Agatha Christie, Paulo Coelho, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Jack London, and Kurt Vonnegut. DRM-free books can also be imported over Wi-Fi. MegaReader also works with iBookshelf and MyLibrary - two popular cataloging apps - to keep track of all physical and digital media assets and to customize book cover images in MegaReader.

Supported Languages:
* US English, Chinese, Dutch, French, German and Spanish

Device Requirements:
* iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad
* Requires iPhone OS 3.0 or later
* 9.0 MB

Pricing and Availability:

MegaReader 1.0 is $1.99 USD (or equivalent amount in other currencies) and available worldwide exclusively through the App Store in the Books category.

MegaReader 1.0
Purchase and Download
YouTube Video
Screenshots
App Icon
Internet Archive

Inkstone Software Inc. is a mobile software development firm based in Portland, Oregon. QuickReader is the top-selling speed reading app on the iTunes app store. Copyright (C) 2010 Inkstone Software Inc. All Rights Reserved.

###
Patrick Thompson
Founder, Inkstone Software Inc.
14525 SW Millikan Way #17837
Beaverton, OR 97005-2343
888-858-7969

Last edited by QuickReader; 09-13-2010 at 09:02 PM.
QuickReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:03 PM   #2
yakuzaboss
Groupie
yakuzaboss is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-650
Checking it out right now.
yakuzaboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2010, 01:02 AM   #3
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer
arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, iPad, iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350
Can it read side-loaded ePubs with ADE drm?
arcadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:50 AM   #4
QuickReader

You can import DRM-free ePubs via Calibre, but no ADE DRM support yet.

-Patrick
Old 09-15-2010, 06:25 AM   #5
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer
arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Darnit, why isn't there any app that can read sideloaded ADE drm'ed ePubs?

By "designed to tap into book catalogs such as Feedbooks, Project Gutenberg, Baen Free Books, Smashwords, and the Internet Archive", does that mean that I can access my Smashwords library directly through your app, and read the eBook without having to jump through hoops (i.e. be transferred to Safari)?
Advert
Old 09-15-2010, 06:56 AM   #6
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
txtr can read ADE ePubs (but not time-limited ones such as from OverDrive)
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:50 AM   #7
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
txtr can read ADE ePubs (but not time-limited ones such as from OverDrive)
You can't just sideload the ebooks directly though, you have to upload them to txtr's site first.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:41 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Are you planning to release an iPad version of your reader?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:44 AM   #9
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
What is the advantage of this commercial app over the free Stanza which has had connectivity to those free books for years already?

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:51 PM   #10
QuickReader

@arcadata, I think the reason that more readers don't support ADE is that the licensing costs are exorbitant. I inquired about licensing the code earlier this year, but their quote was 1-2 orders of magnitude beyond what I, as a small developer, could afford. This doesn't make sense to me, as I would think they would want to have their DRM supported in as many readers as possible.

@murraypaul, I'm not sure how txtr supports ADE DRM. Either they were able to negotiate better terms with Adobe or they are taking a big loss or they found some kind of workaround. It might be worth my reengaging with Adobe to see if anything has changed.

@arcadata, You can download the free books and samples from Smashwords directly, but, they don't currently support a Bookshelf to access books that you have bought. I've raised this with them and hopefully it is something that Smashwords will support in the future.

@HarryT, Yes I'm working on an iPad version. If you are interested in being a beta user, contact me via www.megareader.net/contact or www.quickreader.net/contact.

@leebase, I have a lot of respect for the contribution the Stanza/Amazon guys made in laying the groundwork for OPDS, which is how we connect to the online catalogs. I'm not as crazy about their reader. People who prefer MegaReader/QuickReader over Stanza cite the simple interface, nice graphics, amount of customization you can do, and (for QuickReader) the improvement it has made in their reading speed. Another unique feature is it tells you how long it will take to complete a chapter and, in an upcoming release, how long to complete a book. Ultimately it comes down to preference. For most people, $1.99 is practically free, so "commercial vs. free" isn't a significant factor.

Great questions!

-Patrick
Old 09-15-2010, 09:53 PM   #11
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickReader View Post
@arcadata, I think the reason that more readers don't support ADE is that the licensing costs are exorbitant. I inquired about licensing the code earlier this year, but their quote was 1-2 orders of magnitude beyond what I, as a small developer, could afford. This doesn't make sense to me, as I would think they would want to have their DRM supported in as many readers as possible.

@murraypaul, I'm not sure how txtr supports ADE DRM. Either they were able to negotiate better terms with Adobe or they are taking a big loss or they found some kind of workaround. It might be worth my reengaging with Adobe to see if anything has changed.
I didn't know that it was Adobe being an ass about licensing costs (I guess that's also why iBooks has its own drm) - I'd be very interested to find out how txtr is able to do it too!
Old 09-16-2010, 03:56 AM   #12
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Well txtr is also a storefront to a (German based?) book store, so probably absorb the licensing costs that way.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 03:59 AM   #13
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
iPad version?
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:35 PM   #14
QuickReader

We're working on the iPad version. If you are interested in being a beta user, contact me via www.megareader.net/contact or www.quickreader.net/contact.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:49 PM   #15
QuickReader

MegaReader Reviews:

Tags
ebook+reader, free+books, ipad, iphone, ipod+touch