Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-12-2009, 04:21 AM   #1
phuata
phuata began at the beginning.

Eslick?

It's been a few years since I've been on this forum, but I'm beginning to look into ebook readers again, now that more are available in Canada.

Speaking about more ebook readers, has anyone heard anything about the eSlick reader (http://www.foxitsoftware.com/ebook/)? I don't see any threads about it, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong places.
phuata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 07:21 AM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Not sure how you searched, but there are surely some threads about it: eslick.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2009, 09:07 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Do you really want a device that only support text and PDF?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:13 AM   #4
Mrraow
Bookworm
Mrraow doesn't litterMrraow doesn't litter

Device: Opus
Apart from the logo, it looks exactly like my CyBook Gen 3.
Mrraow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:28 AM   #5
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
That's because it is the same hardware (Netronix EB-600).
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2009, 11:58 AM   #6
phuata

Thank-you, igorsk, for your prompt, polite and informative response. I apologize for searching inadequately, and for posting this in the wrong forum. If I'd realized "Other Devices" was the correct forum, I wouldn't have needed to ask this question. I look forward to spending more time in this community as I look into buying an ebook reader.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:22 PM   #7
lance_
lance_ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lance_ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lance_ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lance_ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: FoxIt eSlick
What part of Canada are you from? If the Toronto meetup happens you can take a look at mine.

The cool: 400mhz processor (as opposed to the Cybook gen3's 200mhz according to bookeen)
The notcool: Does not yet support epub.

At the very least they'll be adding epub and secure ereader formats with a firmware update within the quarter. And epub books are easy to convert to PDF with htmldoc.
lance_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 01:32 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lance_ View Post
What part of Canada are you from? If the Toronto meetup happens you can take a look at mine.

The cool: 400mhz processor (as opposed to the Cybook gen3's 200mhz according to bookeen)
The notcool: Does not yet support epub.

At the very least they'll be adding epub and secure ereader formats with a firmware update within the quarter. And epub books are easy to convert to PDF with htmldoc.
If they are adding ePub support, why the heck would you want to ruin ePub eBooks by converting them to PDF when viewing them as ePub will give you a better reading experience?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 01:42 PM   #9
phuata

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance_ View Post
Thank-you, lance. Sadly, I'm in Saskatchewan, so Toronto is a little out of my way.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:00 PM   #10
lance_
lance_ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lance_ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lance_ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lance_ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If they are adding ePub support, why the heck would you want to ruin ePub eBooks by converting them to PDF when viewing them as ePub will give you a better reading experience?
To read commercially available ebooks on the eslick before epub and ereader support comes out? It's still a couple months off.

I'm building my collection now in epub rather than PDF since it'll be better once epub support comes out. And unzip, htmldoc --book works great to generate PDFs for the eslick.

The lack of file support is the only reason I can't recommend the eslick in general yet. I think it's an amazing device for what I paid ($209 US, but it's a deal even at the current price of $259).

Last edited by lance_; 05-12-2009 at 02:04 PM. Reason: adding more detail
Old 05-12-2009, 02:50 PM   #11
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?
shighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enough

Device: EBW 1150, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by phuata View Post
Thank-you, lance. Sadly, I'm in Saskatchewan, so Toronto is a little out of my way.
Bah, nothing a 3 day drive can't fix. ;-)
shighfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 03:21 PM   #12
lance_

Quote:
Originally Posted by shighfield View Post
Bah, nothing a 3 day drive can't fix. ;-)
well, the offer stands to anyone in the TO region!